Thread: GPS for Rivers

Default GPS for Rivers

Kind of miss my big screen Garmin I had on my ocean boat with super detailed map. Running a Wooldridge jet boat now and was wondering what GPS everyone is using for rivers/jet boating. Right now I am just using my tiny handheld Garmin for speed and distance. Any suggestions for bigger unit with more details much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Questions about moving to or from Alaska? Hit us up:
    Far North Real Estate, LLC
    www.myfairbankshome.com
    contact@farnorthrealestate.com

I have a ecomaps73 in my wooldridge xl. I can't wait to try it out. It's a new setup for me this year but I can tell from just tinkering with it in the garage that it is going to be real user friendly Attachment 88903

I have a Woolie river boat and use a garmin 478 mounted on the dash. It has a card slot and I installed a card with AK USGS maps. When running a river I match the scale to what ever USGS map I have and the triangle on the screen shows which bend I'm on. Very handy when on a river like the Muddy, 53 miles of switch back turns. It also gives me speed, distance, tacks, etc.. I use a separate depth gauge with an alarm and transom mounted transducer which I set the alarm to 2-3 feet. If the transducer gets bumped up I can just reach over and push it back down. The 478 is hard wired to the boat, but can be unplugged and has a battery so it can be used as a large handheld.

I don't carry VHF, but do carry an aviation handheld. I don't know anyone using a VHF, but it's hard not to see an airplane several times a day, at least on interior rivers.