Thread: Need advice guys!

Default Need advice guys!

I am a almost 66 year old guy and I am 6' 3" with pretty long arms. I am thinking about getting a bow as a legal bow often passes through my yard in the fall. I live in Kenai and we have Sportsmen's Warehouse and I was wondering if they have the expertise to set me up with the right bow or should I go else where and should I look at a cross bow? None of what I have seen looks as easy to carry as an old recurve I have.

What are the top bows, arrows and arrow heads to use? This is probably like asking what the best rifle and bullet is. LOL

Close to the reason I have become obsessed with heavy bullets traveling subsonic and other "LEGAL" sound muting options.

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    I am a almost 66 year old guy and I am 6' 3" with pretty long arms. I am thinking about getting a bow as a legal bow often passes through my yard in the fall. I live in Kenai and we have Sportsmen's Warehouse and I was wondering if they have the expertise to set me up with the right bow or should I go else where and should I look at a cross bow? None of what I have seen looks as easy to carry as an old recurve I have.

What are the top bows, arrows and arrow heads to use? This is probably like asking what the best rifle and bullet is. LOL
    I just got into archery this year... I'd go to a pro shop. Not dissing on Sportsmans but sometimes the guy behind the counter might be an expert...or he might not know much beyond how to run a cash register. For something you're just picking up, probably best to talk to a pro. Fit is pretty dang important with a bow.

I picked up a Mathews No-Cam a couple months ago. Piece of cake to learn to shoot proficiently compared to a recurve. Modern archery gear is amazing.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    I just got into archery this year... I'd go to a pro shop. Not dissing on Sportsmans but sometimes the guy behind the counter might be an expert...or he might not know much beyond how to run a cash register. For something you're just picking up, probably best to talk to a pro. Fit is pretty dang important with a bow.

I picked up a Mathews No-Cam a couple months ago. Piece of cake to learn to shoot proficiently compared to a recurve. Modern archery gear is amazing.
    ^^^^^ This. As someone who first went box store, then bought a bow that actually fit me at the pro shop I think you will end up saving money by going to the pro shop first. Additionally, I've found that the prices at the local pro shops in Anchorage or Wasilla/Palmer are as low or lower than the prices at the box stores.

I assume you meant a legal "bull"...that said, crossbows fall under the same regulations as rifles, not compound/recurve/longbows. Nothing wrong with them, just our F & G regulates them like a gun. Next, what part of the State do you live in? Folks can let you know what pro shop(s) are in your area. They are far superior to the box stores IMHO for a beginner for so many reasons. Finding a mentor is even better. There are a number of bow club around the State and they all put on 3D shoots. These are Foam animal targets set up to shoot with your bow and each have a way to "score" your hits. The ones out of the Anchorage area generally attract at least 100 shooters, so it's a great place to ment other archers and to learn what folks are using. Lots of options to think about. The sooner you get into it, the better you will be by bow season :-)
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

I live on the edge of town in Kenai. There is often a legal bull running around so I may a well get one some day if it comes in the yard. I think there is a bow shop close to Sportsman's in Soldotna.

I have plenty of room to safely practice out to 60 yards on my property, but I think I would be wise to keep my shots at half that distance. I never want to be one of those guys who looses a moose they stuck with an arrow. I have found a dead moose with an arrow in it and I know a few who have lost moose they stuck. I never want to be that guy.

I was looking at bows in Cabela's the other day and they got more stuff hanging off of them then my AR does! It looks like a rifle is easier to carry through the brush.

I think most of my bow hunting will be close to home or on haul road.

I would say go to a bow shop and talk to an expert! ask about what you need and what you don't my bow doesn't have a lot hanging off it and I don't have too much issue going through brush.

for broadheads/arrows- a good fixed blade broadhead should be good for moose, I use slick tricks but there are lots of good broadheads out there. same with arrows, you will probably want something a little heavier for a big moose. The state does allow mechanical broadheads for moose but a lot of people don't like them, they've heard horror stories about them, I've bought a few and the blades have always been dull lots faith before I ever shot one!

The biggest thing to help you kill a moose is accuracy, you could have a bow that shoots a razor sharp spear at 400 FPS and if you don't shoot accurately you will not kill anything! find a pro shop and find a bow/arrow combo that fits you! then make sure to tune your bow, there are lots of youtube videos on how to do this, and the pro shop should be willing to talk you through how to do it.