Thread: excessive???

Default excessive???

What do you think? Getting closer to my arrival date and I've been "gearing up" getting rods, reels, flies ready for my month in Alaska. Have the following rods comming with me..10 wt. St. Croix Ultra legend, 8 wt.St Croix Ultra legend, 8 wt Sage, 8 wt TFO, 5 wt Ultra Legend, 5 wt Sage, 5 wt Orvis(seven total)...most of my reels are either Old Florida or Nautilus or Ross..one for each rod each loaded with new backing and WF lines, Versa tip in 10 wt and 8 wt, tippet and leader material 40#, 30#, 20#, 10#, 8#, 6#, 4#...tie my own leaders...approx 500 salmon flies, 200 trout/grayling flies, ... a bit excessive but I shouldn't have to stop fishing to run to the store when I run out of something! Previous trips I have managed to break at least one rod...one of them was my favorite Sage 8 wt. on a Chum no less, got between my legs, don't ask! Embarrassing enough .........

Thats a lot of rods? It is only excessive if you will not use them. Personally I only have 2 fly rods an 8 weight and a 5 weight, but a lot of that is money as opposed to desire. I will fish any salmon other then kings with my 8wt. Only the biggest chums give me difficulty.

Default big chummmm

Well here's the whole story...while fishing one of the Parks streams I came across a hole that was loaded with all male Chums. I was looking for silvers but just couldn't resist. Dropped a chartreuse bunny at the head of the pool and whammo fast to a dog. This was just an average fish, no giant, maybe eight pounds max. I had waded a few feet off the bank and was standing in mid thigh deep water. The fish gave me a two or three nice jumps and raced to the head of the pool, then turned and ran directly at me. I couldn't reel fast enough to keep up the slack so I started stripping line in order to keep tension on the barb-less hook. I took a step backward and the next thing I knew the fish had shot the gap between my legs and when it cleared he hit the afterburner catching me with a whole lot of loose line on the water and of course an ensuing tangle around the reel. Totally out of position and not wanting to fall in the creek to add further problems I raised the rod high over my head...big mistake 'cause when the line came taught it put a "wrong bend" in the rod and snap ...third section of the four piece exploded. Dumb me! Now that rod has landed redfish to #30 and wild jumping tarpon to #40 but due to my "angler error" it was now a seven piece. Probably due to my overconfidence and the fact that I hadn't broken a rod on a fish for many many years I had not bothered to bring a spare with me that day. Had to float the river on out just looking at fish instead of trying to catch them...bummer....lesson learned! (Sent the Sage back and of course it was repaired with a new third section)

Default Lots O' Rods

Personally, I'd narrow it down to the 10 wt, two 8 wts, and two 5 wts. Unless you have ungodly bad luck, there's no way you could bust TWO of either the 8 wts or the 5 wts. Of course, then you have to make the choice of which rods to leave home. I don't know about you, but my rods really cop an attitude if I leave them out of fishing trips . . .

Tight lines and have a great trip.

SH

I agree sierra. 10wt, 2 8's and 2 5's is plenty. I usually carry my 1 10wt, 1 8wt and 1 6wt this time of year moving down to 1 8wt 1 6wt and 1 5 wt in the fall for bows. You do sound plenty prepared and ready to go. Come up have a blast and catch some fish
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

I haven't gone so far as to give my pet rods names but I would just feel guilty leaving any of them home. It's sorta fun changing from one to the other on occasion. The St Croix Ultra Legends are great when I need to get some distance, very fast rods. The Sages are great all around rods and usually what I find myself using and the TFO does well with a sink tip on it. Hopefully they will all get a workout!

Hey we all have our quirks. The main thing is to enjoy. Hope you have a great time up here and I expect to see the names of your rods after you have fished them up here. Im sure you will have fun coming up with some. LOL
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

I am leaving Friday. I am only bringing a 9wt, 4wt, and a 6wt. Maybe 100 flies, but I only have about 3 days to fish and one day in Seattle. If I had a 7wt or 8wt I would bring one of those. I would worry about bringing too many rods because of losing them or getting stolen. You being there a month, I guess it is better to have too many than not enough.

Default my 2 cents

a wise man once told me

"NEVER FALL SHORT IN THE LAND OF PLENTY"