Thread: What causes a huge WIND GUST from dead calm & back to dead calm..????

Default What causes a huge WIND GUST from dead calm & back to dead calm..????

What is the cause of this wind event......???

Dead calm (Zero breeze) for hours, maybe days, then an explosion of wind (Up to 35-50 MPH) for five or ten seconds, and then back to dead calm for hours or days of zero or near zero breeze.........????

Sounds like katabatic winds.... a cold, dense air mass on a mountain top that slips off the mountain and rushes downhill by gravity. Can hit 100mph in right conditions, pretty common in the Turnagin Arm/Portage area. Common name is williwaw winds.

Used to hear them coming down Bear Valley in the spring...sounds like a train. Calm, 60 or 70 mph blast and then calm.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Thank You..................I did a search for Katabatic Wind, and found this: "In the Fuegian Archipelago (Tierra del Fuego) in South America as well as in Alaska, a wind known as a williwaw is a particular danger to harboring vessels. Williwaws originate in the snow and ice fields of the coastal mountains, and they can be faster than 120 knots (140 mph; 220 km/h).[3]"

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    Sounds like katabatic winds.... a cold, dense air mass on a mountain top that slips off the mountain and rushes downhill by gravity. Can hit 100mph in right conditions, pretty common in the Turnagin Arm/Portage area. Common name is williwaw winds.

Used to hear them coming down Bear Valley in the spring...sounds like a train. Calm, 60 or 70 mph blast and then calm.

Two commercial fishermen told me about their experiences when they were tucked in on the lee side of a cove for the night. Both were surrounded by mountains and a strong wind had been blowing against the other side of the mountain for a couple days. They said they believe the winds eventually stacked up and rolled over the top of the mountain and rushed down their side of the mountain like a very loud runaway freight train. Both of them said it was pretty wild for awhile and they started their vessels as they thought they would drag anchor.

I have also talked to a couple of hunters who said it happened to them on Montague and Hinchinbrook islands, both times the wind had been blowing hard for a couple of days on the ocean side. They were tucked in the timber on the inland side of the islands and had to tie their tents down better.

For sure this Alaska is "wild country"!

A fart?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mother nature,she is bi-polar
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

North-polar and South polar....................

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Mother nature,she is bi-polar