Thread: UHMW on the bottom of canoes

Default UHMW on the bottom of canoes

has any one put UHMW on the bottom of a canoe yet ?? how did it come out ? did it add add much WT to it ?
    how did you stop the sand an gravel om getting under the uhmw between the plastic an the hull ? if it did get there did it eat a hole in your hull ? what I know about the stuff you can't glue it to the hill so there is a space there an small rocks an sand will get there ,
    when I put Alum. runners on the bottom of my 19 FT SQ end, I sealed all cracks so it would not happen , any input on it
    I would like to know as a person ask me, an I am lost on that , do butt in an let us know SID
    PS I have seen it on AIR boats but the UHMW is real thick an the hull is also thick an they bolted it on , the hulls of AIR boats are thick com-paired to a canoe just a question

Sid, I sent you an unrelated pm.
    RandyS

PM sent SID

Sid probably best bet would be either Gluvit or Bed Liner on keels and bottom. Tough to attach UHMH to such a thin hull and you will probably end
    up with leaks. Gluvit would slide on impact with rocks and probably have less damage. We used it on aluminum drift boats bottoms and had to get boat warm to get it to flow well. Made quite a difference you would just slide over rocks without the sudden stop.