Thread: Has anyone shot a brown at a bait and all the others stop hiiting

Default Has anyone shot a brown at a bait and all the others stop hiiting

My son was in a class and they mentioned this happening with orcas and great white sharks a or a killed a great white and the great whites all left the area.
    I have shot a black at the bait and not had anything touch the carcass.
    My thought is if I shoot a brown as the nmain predator in the area i may have to move the carcass what left over after salvage and do a huge rescent any thoughts?

Wait...I'm confused...your son was taking a class on baiting orcas? That you Sarah?
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

took a brown over bait while skinning had a few others come into the station no more than 200 yards away. Nothing like hearing the barrel get pounded while handling the skinning and quartering of another bear.

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

No taking a class on predation for fisheries and the orcas wanted to get where the seals where but there where a large amount of great whites when an orca killed a shark all the sharks left said it also happens among other predators

Shot a brown last year at my bait, nothing touched the carcass, and the other bears kept coming in as usual.

Believe me, brownies have NO problem coming in an cannibalizing their own. Seen it with my own eyes....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

My wife shot a big brown over my bait last May 14 over in unit 16.... Per our cameras, it was definitely the biggest and most likely the dominant one that had been around in the 3 seasons at this bait site.
    The carcass ended up about a 100yds away from the bait and that bait didn't get touched for 7 solid weeks. I kept going out there to rebait and check it. Then it was like a light switch. I had moose, grizzlies and blacks back on my game cams. The bears were back to tearing stuff up.
    From what I could tell, even by September, nothing other then small critters and birds even touched that brown bear carcass..
    Go figure..

Brownies can be weird. Seen them eat their owns carcasses. Seen them rest on another carcass and seen them run from another carcass. They are weird creatures.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    Brownies can be weird. Seen them eat their owns carcasses. Seen them rest on another carcass and seen them run from another carcass. They are weird creatures.
    Just when ya think you might have 'em figured out, they go and do something different... It continues to reinforce their stereotypical "unpredictability".

Kinda like people, different strokes for different folks... Ya just never really know what they're thinking or what they'll do..

It only took 48 hrs for animals (I think mostly birds) to about completely devour my brown bear. (I posted pics of its remains on my thread 'tiniest bear I ever shot').
    Animals seem to have avoided both wolf carcasses also that I left behind. The Eagles and Ravens just started hitting the last carcass hard last week of the one I shot in Feb.
    i suspect birds don't worry/care about predator scent as much as the 4 legged feeders do.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Shot the dominant brown bear off my bait in 2014. We had 6 or 7 bears coming in very regularly. Multiple hits per day. shot the big guy with my bow and he died 50 yards (but out of sight) from the bait. It was like someone flipped a switch. No more bears for a couple of weeks. Eventually they came back though and cleaned out the bait. But it took a couple of weeks. A friend had the same experience the same year.