Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgrading to bigger boat- fuel question

Default Upgrading to bigger boat- fuel question

Hello everyone, needing to know from the experienced boaters. I'm looking at getting an 24ft osprey, wondering which is better for the boat in gallons per hour. Gasoline or deisel? Which has less maintence? I was told having gasoline can increase the risk of an explosion on he boat? Kind of confused which to go with now? I'm assuming deisel gets more for the money, right?

Diesel will give you more HP per gallon of fuel, it will almost always increase your boats efficiency which increases your range. But diesel does cost more to maintain. The new 4 stroke outboards are great. There are ups and downs to owning both an there is no one perfect boat, so you have to decide what is you thing. Which diesel is in the Osprey?
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

Ok, thanks for replying!! I was told by a boater he switched from a inboard gas to an 300 Yamaha gas on his 30ft kingfisher and uses double the fuel per hour. He wishes he would of stayed but likes the option of a outboard. Not sure what would more beneficial, been leaning toward the deisel. The osprey has a 5.7 Volvo penta gas. Is it that dangerous to have an inboard gas engine? Seems like anything could happen with an outboard gas too. Outboard are quieter too. Just not sure. Probably less maintenance on a gas motor too??

Took the inboard out of my 24 Seasport and put a 300 Suzuki on it last winter. Never looking back. Major increase of efficiency. Much quieter and 6 year warranty!! We dropped several hundred pounds as well. I will not miss working on exhaust manifolds. So far motor oil and gear oil changes have been a breeze compared to the old inboard and outdrive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for sharing! Yeah, , I agree. I don't want to mess with a deisel. Definitely would be quieter. I like outboards, I think I'll wait to find one with an outboard. Plus I like to have the extra deck space. Do most of you 24-26 ft boaters prefer outboards??? Aluminum over fiberglass, I bet too right?

I own a 25' C Hawk and have a Merc 300 Verado on it. I like having outboards because they are easier to change oil on, and to maintain for someone who isn't diesel savvy. Plus with an inboard diesel the engine cover depletes your deck space unless it's the hatch is flush with the deck which most are not. I just bought a 25' Parker that had an inboard diesel in it. I took out the engine and the engine/outdrive weighed almost 1100lbs. I built a 30" aluminum outboard pod which will also increase my buoyancy by around 2,000lbs. I'm going to put my Merc 300 on my parker, and will gain around 2500lbs of buoyancy. Either stick with the inboard diesel and have better fuel economy, but a loud, less maintainable engine, or (which I believe is better) have a pod built and put outboard(s) on the back. And I'm not talking a swim step/center pod, I'm talking full floatation, otherwise it's a waste of time and money.

25 Parker 2520 CH117
    2003 "PARKER 2520" 25 x 9-6 sport fisher. Yamaha 225 hp 4-stroke outboard w/ 900 hours. Yamaha 15 hp kicker. (2) Canon Max downriggers. Brutus electric hauler. Full electronics. Seating port & starboard. Accomodations for 3. Excellent condition. Tandem axle trailer. Located Kodiak, Alaska.
    $69,500

Quote Originally Posted by MGH55 View Post
    25 Parker 2520 CH117
    2003 "PARKER 2520" 25 x 9-6 sport fisher. Yamaha 225 hp 4-stroke outboard w/ 900 hours. Yamaha 15 hp kicker. (2) Canon Max downriggers. Brutus electric hauler. Full electronics. Seating port & starboard. Accomodations for 3. Excellent condition. Tandem axle trailer. Located Kodiak, Alaska.
    $69,500
    That looks nice

Default Upgrading to bigger boat- fuel question

Well I just happen to have a lot answers. I have a ospery and when I bought it 4 years ago it had A Volvo Ad41 diesel with a 290 out drive. With in the first year of owning the boat I had to replace the 290 outdrive. Which was 12,000 and plus props. Diesels are twice the cost to own.
    Followed by the next year motor issues and facing a motor rebuild.

I decided to repower with outboard. Best decision I made. You couldn't give me a inboard now.

Are you looking at the one on crag list?

Here's acouple pictures

Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Quote Originally Posted by akmike30 View Post
    Well I just happen to have a lot answers. I have a ospery and when I bought it 4 years ago it had A Volvo Ad41 diesel with a 290 out drive. With in the first year of owning the boat I had to replace the 290 outdrive. Which was 12,000 and plus props. Diesels are twice the cost to own.

I decided to repower with outboard. Best decision I made. You couldn't give me a inboard now.

Here's acouple pictures

That looks F'N nice. Same outboard bracket I have. Bet u love the new deck too. What is ur top speed?

I've not met anyone who's had much success with the "lightweight for hp" high-rpm diesels. And the outdrives...Volvo says don't shift it and it'll last a long time.

Pretty hard to beat the 4 stroke outboards. Best of a bad lot. It's still a boat, after all.

Ya, I find that hard to believe unless he's really underpowered. No, there are honor stories about gas inboards, but they're aren't as common as one mey think, as long as you are smart, run your blower, check the bildge. Wouldn't happen with an outboard as the tanks and engine are separated. Less maintanece on gassers, yes. Removing the I/O and installing an outboard is the in thing right now, but you will be shifting weight to the aft, so the boat is going to ride different, and proppbably a little more slappy in a head sea, so move some weight forward and it will better the ride. OUtboard will make it a little lighter which will also make it ride a little more slappy as well. Look at the cost of the conversion and how much you are willing to spend. Having a bracket built or going with an Armstrong Bracket, all the wiring and the motor. THey 350 chevy in that hull should only burn abot 6gph at cruise..how many gallons of fuel do you have to burn to make recover the cost? I've trolled with thousands of clients on 350 and 454 powered boats, never had any one care, same with my diesel I have now. 350 chevy blocks are a dime a dozen, and that's a left hand rotation block, so most 4bolt main chevy's will fit the bill. Rebuilding that can be accomplished easily and way cheaper than any 4stroke outboard. OUtobards are quieter, run smooth, very good on fuel too, but they are much more expensive than a small block chevy. THe diesel option wouldn't be cheap if you install one, they are expensive, but I burn half the fuel with my D4260 that I would with the twin 250's I've had to put on the rear.

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com

Quote Originally Posted by gbflyer View Post
    I've not met anyone who's had much success with the "lightweight for hp" high-rpm diesels. And the outdrives...Volvo says don't shift it and it'll last a long time.

Pretty hard to beat the 4 stroke outboards. Best of a bad lot. It's still a boat, after all.
    2400hrs on my D4260 and over 1600 on this outrdrive, first failing was my fault. Love it and won't ever go back. The D6's have a bad rep here because most guys I've talked to are overpropping them and torching the cylinders. Look at the heavy boats back east, lots of D6's and I've seen very few blow.

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com

Quote Originally Posted by gbflyer View Post
    Our boat's Volvo KAD44P is definitely one of those high-rpm diesels, even more so than the newer D4 and D6 - WOT is 3900 RPM. And it pushes a heavy 26' boat (11,000 lb loaded), with a 290DP sterndrive.

We've put 6,500 hours on it so far since 1998. After an early failure at ~700 hours, in which the leg was replaced by Volvo on their nickel due to defective parts, we've put another ~5,800 hours on the new drive leg. Mostly cruising SE Alaska and BC.

Only significant engine repair was a turbo and exhaust elbow replacement at ~4,000 hours. If I had replaced the elbow and clamp earlier, the turbo probably would not have needed replacing.

With proper setup and operation (prop to achieve rated RPM at WOT with a full load, and cruise at RPM no higher than 10% off WOT), and regular maintenance (belts, filters, oil changes, impellers etc, and an inspection and new seals for the sterndrive every ~1,500 hours), they can last just fine. Volvo makes fine rugged diesels, but they don't hold up so well if badly misused or abused.

Not saying outboards aren't often the right choice, especially if you're more into fishing than long distance cruising. But I sure do like getting 40% better mileage than my buddies gasser, and 40% longer range on a tank.
    Richard Cook
    New Moon (Bounty 257)
    "Cruising in a Big Way"

I just help sell the parker that was parked by my shop. The boat is great on the water with 3 bigger old guys on one side it only dipped about 2 inches. It was 24kts at 4200rpm. I am glad I know the guys that got it.
    Quote Originally Posted by bkbaker View Post
    That looks nice

Quote Originally Posted by akmike30 View Post

Here's acouple pictures

Thank you for opinion and knowledge. No, I didn't see this one!! I've check southeast,Kenai,and anchorage.

Thank you guys for the replies! Keep going back and forth between aluminum or the fiber glass? One rides better and one gets more gallons per hour too. The decisions! Ha,ha!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guess they're better now. KAD42P-A...400 Hours...pistons and liners. 50 more hours...$3500 injector pump. 400 more hours, pistons, liners, head. Retarded timing per Volvo. Lost at least 10% power with each new set of pistons. Went from 3900 rpm with B5, had to go to B2 with last overhaul. 90 degree gearbox at 1200 hrs. Trim cylinder failure at 800 hours. And on and on...It was easy on fuel...never ran.

Put twin 200 Saltwater Series Yamahas on in 1998. They ran until last year. Excess of 7000 hours, nothing but spark plugs, oil, and gas.

just about every 42 volvo installed in the cordova gillnet fleet blew up shortly after install, some even blew up twice. Volvo as usual denied warranties and it took a law suit to get the guys their money back and then they bought cummins to replace the pos volvos. Run those 41's & 42's just like volvo says 10% under max rpm and you'll run them quickly to the rebuild man's shop.
    Oh by the way most of you guys know my opinion of outdrives They are ALL JUNK.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    just about every 42 volvo installed in the cordova gillnet fleet blew up shortly after install, some even blew up twice. Volvo as usual denied warranties and it took a law suit to get the guys their money back and then they bought cummins to replace the pos volvos. Run those 41's & 42's just like volvo says 10% under max rpm and you'll run them quickly to the rebuild man's shop.
    Oh by the way most of you guys know my opinion of outdrives They are ALL JUNK.
    Your advise could of saved me 40,000 if I only listened
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast