Thread: Zodiac power

Default Zodiac power

So, I've found myself with a good used 15.5ft zodiac MK3. It's old and rough, but it holds air and doesn't leak. It's rated for up to 50hp, but I think I want something lighter. I really don't intend on using it in the ocean or under heavy current, just lakes and slow water. I'm also not too worried about planing it out, I don't really need to fly along, I've got a v8 jet boat for that. So, ny question is this, how well witll a 9.9-15-or25hp 2 stroke move a 15.5ft zodiac? I'd like to stick with those powers, most likely the 15hp.

I run 12' and 14' Zodiacs all summer in the ocean and any of those engines will work great, depending on what kind of a load you have in it. I often even just use a 5hp if I'm not going far and want something light to handle once I get there. Even within those power ranges you'll find a range of weights of the outboards. The heaviest outboard I have is a 25hp Suzuki that is a total brute of an engine and I don't think I've ever used even half the available power, but it weighs a ton. I have a 25hp Johnson that weighs much less. My favorite is a 15hp Tohatsu that moves the Zodiac great but seems to weigh a fraction of the Suzuki. All 2 stoke.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Mauler View Post
    The heaviest outboard I have is a 25hp Suzuki that is a total brute of an engine and I don't think I've ever used even half the available power, but it weighs a ton. I have a 25hp Johnson that weighs much less. My favorite is a 15hp Tohatsu that moves the Zodiac great but seems to weigh a fraction of the Suzuki. All 2 stoke.
    You said just the right mouthful there. A 20 or 25HP 2-stroke weighs a ton. It'll beat you to death lugging that thing around every time you take it off the raft. I have a Yami 25 on my 13' Achilles, and that thing will flat set your ears to flapping when you open it wide open. You'll skip around on top of the water like a flat rock with no load in the boat. I've easily planed 4 big folks and their gear in it. But empty by myself? Get a long fuel hose and tie your gas up in the bow. Put your anchor up there. And shop the shoreline for someone fat to sit on it all. That bow really wants to come up when you're running flat out into the wind with a little chop.

On the other hand, I usually put a 10HP on it when I roll it up for fly outs. It will still plane 2 big guys (just), but won't hit plane when I add my wife to the load with me and a big bud. But man, is that 10HP a lot easier to lug around. For all around use I'd put a 15HP on it and tell one of the big guys to stay home.

right on, thanks fellas. that's just the info i was looking for. I think the magic number for me will be 15hp. that way with a light load it'll do great, and even with a heavy load it'll do ok. weight hauling around is more important for me in this case than out right power. and the search begins.... any recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by winibezold View Post
    right on, thanks fellas. that's just the info i was looking for. I think the magic number for me will be 15hp. that way with a light load it'll do great, and even with a heavy load it'll do ok. weight hauling around is more important for me in this case than out right power. and the search begins.... any recommendations?
    Several on CL that could work. You might also call AK Power Sports and see if they have any clearance outboards left. Worth a shot...I got a Tohatsu 115 with full warranty, power tilt, remote control box with shift and steering cables, prop and a 4 gauge cluster...AND...a Merc 9.9 Prokicker with remote, power tilt, cables, prop, fuel tank and full warranty for $7693.