Thread: Last harvest of the season

Default Last harvest of the season

So i would like to start this post by saying thank you to the Alaska Trappers Association, specifically the South Central chapter and to Jim at Alaska Range. I was a new Trapper this season and if it hadn't been for the basic Trapper course in October and for knowledgeable people sharing tips, I'm sure I would have had little to no success. Although I didn't catch a ton, I appreciate every catch and opportunity.

With a final total of a couple nice beaver and marten, and a mix of incidental ermine and a few squirrels, I looked forward to next season until my friend and I stumbled upon this beautiful wolf Monday night, which I took was by rifle thanks to the quick action of my friend who provided some communicative distractions (rifle, I know, but this is also a predator hunting forum so I thought I would share). I am proud of this harvest no matter how she was taken so, critics, take it easy please. Looking forward to next year already.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0352.jpg  

Darn nice wolf Tom, congrats!
    Bk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Airboats, ocean boats, and river boats serviced.
    https://www.facebook.com/BKMarineServices?fref=ts

Critics??? Why would anyone criticize you for that. Excellent job my friend. Way to go!!! One less moose muncher out there to worry about. What caliber did you say you used? How far of a shot? Details man, details. Give us the details.

Excellent! Get em any way you can. And I agree w previous post... Details Sir.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Congrats Tom! Sounds like an excellent start to your trapping career!

Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Great job!! Taking a young female wolf out of the equation is about as good as it gets. You saved MANY MANY moose and caribou, thank you. Beautiful wolf by the way..

Yup great wolf and a lot of moose saved in taking her out of the pack. Nothing beats the first one except they tend to be addicting like the rest of trapping
    meats meat don't knock it till you try it

So, I wasn't going to share the details of how she was taken because it is actually pretty unbelievable, however, I do have a witness. It was a pretty easy spot, we were on the road and she crossed in front of us. We pulled over, I got the rifle out of the back seat, I got off the road, and attempted to get her in my sights. He was standing behind me trying to get her to stop with distractions and noises (we had left our mouth calls at home). I think his squeaks and what not slowed her down but nothing could get her to stop running. I filled the scope with fur and tried to stay calm but by this point we both had buck fever. Needless to say, it took me a few shots to figure out how much to lead her since she was on the move but once I figured it out, the shot to the shoulder you can see blood around in the picture brought about a quick, humane kill.

The part that I thought may be hard to believe = The shot was made at 73 yards ranged, moving target, off hand, Savage Model 93 .17HMR Yep, that's right. I love that rifle, even more so now, but out of anything in my safe, this particular rifle is pretty far down on my list of tools to use to take a wolf just because of caliber. I guess the the lesson that was reinforced here again for me is this: its not about the size of the projectile, its all about where you put it.

Nice. That's actually not that hard to believe at all. I've had similar instances, many time before myself. What's hard to believe for me, is how I can sometimes get lucky and make these amazing offhand running shots, and then other times I'll have a perfectly good rest and manage to mess up the shot. That's what I have a hard time believing. Seems impossible but it has happened to me more times than I care to admit. A friend of mine used to brag about how he never misses shots. Then one time he missed a black bear and he searched and searched for a blood trail and he just couldn't understand why he couldn't find any blood. I told him he probably missed. He responded and said "I never miss". I told him that anyone who claims he never misses is either a complete liar or they simply haven't hunted long enough.

What you say makes sense Jack. Guess I should have explained that a little better, it was unbelievable to me since I am nothing more than an average shooter. BTW, 20 grain CCI Gamepoint for those of you wondering about what I fed the .17HMR. The one very positive thing, NO FUR DAMAGE

Nice looking wolf. Thanks for sharing the story and pic.