Thread: Flipping pole and reel advice

Default Flipping pole and reel advice

I'm looking for a reel for my 9 wt ugly stick for flipping on the Russian, Kenai, and Klutina. I'm looking at getting a Lamson Konik 2. I was suggested to me because it was beefy enough to handle the abuse. This is going to be my first setup and I like the price range of around $125. I don't want to break the bank yet and I will likely be making 3 up this way for the kids as well.

Is this a reel that is reliable and good to use for a beginning flipper?

Default Flipping pole and reel advice

Ocean master reel / ugly stick Elite 8'6 heavy. With 30pound pline!
    Won't break the bank and works well with the Kenai flip to trolling
    Bass pro for 59.00

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

those lamson konics are nice, however I thought the konics were discontinued. I like a fly reel for the russian and bait caster for the main stem. Load it up with LOTS of dacron backing or you will run the risk of breaking it.

I have a Ross cola on my salmon rod

Sent while partying
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Thanks for the info y'all

Quote Originally Posted by AkReaper View Post
    I'm looking for a reel for my 9 wt ugly stick for flipping on the Russian, Kenai, and Klutina. I'm looking at getting a Lamson Konik 2. I was suggested to me because it was beefy enough to handle the abuse. This is going to be my first setup and I like the price range of around $125. I don't want to break the bank yet and I will likely be making 3 up this way for the kids as well.

Is this a reel that is reliable and good to use for a beginning flipper?
    I don't think the Konik 2 would handle it especially with a beginner.
    A 4 would be a much better choice, my boy just bought 2 brand new Lamson Guru 4's from ebay for $100 each might want to check that out.
    I think there were a bunch of Konik 4's on there for under $100, I've been using the same Konic 4 for the last 5 or 6 years and have never had any problems.

Sam's club has 8/9 WT ugly stick FLY rod 9 FT. the one at the end of Muldoon RD $ 50.00 ROD only no combo on that rod
    SID

Nice I will have to go grab a couple of em

if you are after some cheep reel' s go to Walmart or Fred Myers an look at there Okuma reels get the large one's for about $70.00 they have some
    9/10 size will last you for a few years they are not the best by a long short, but but it will get every one's feet wet, to see what happens it is nice to get every one a good rig but it can cost $$$ so for a rod an reel it will cost about $ 120 per outfit plus line , as for fly line ???, good fly line is not the best for flipping go for about 40 to 50 LB Mono or 100 to 150 LB Braid, [ wear leather gloves] for the first time , till you learn
    what is going on . then for leader keep it less LB than your main line , so it will cost less than $150 per out fit an that will last a lot of years
    & it should not break the bank , with every one fishing at once , what I think, . SID
    PS Costco or Sam's has waders , don't get felt soles , can't use them for fishing in Alaska, the law by F & G

If you plan on using it just for flipping use a spinning reel with mono. I have 2 set up like that. At first I was wondering how the line would deal with the smaller eyes but I haven't had problems. I don't use them for anything else either though.

I have a konik and it works great. Its a good lower end reel, much better than ross IMO. The cabelas brand ones are decent as well. The ugly stick is a bit heavy for me but the pair you are asking about should work great with some 30 lb line for horsing reds around.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.