Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spring bears and Denali Highway clearing update! 4/7/2016.

Default Spring bears and Denali Highway clearing update! 4/7/2016.

Hello and welcome to almost spring! We have word from the DOT that plowing will begin on the Denali Highway on Monday, April 11th. There is no overflow this year to plow up, so I expect they could get to us by April 15th at the latest. Now this plowing is from the Cantwell side, and they are responsible for plowing from Cantwell to MP 60, 8 miles to the East of us. So should be able to drive in to here soon! I don't have any idea on the schedule for the Paxson side.

Snow conditions in the mountains is still excellent! Had the best snow of the season a couple of days ago heading into the Coffee Shop in the Clearwaters. So spring riding for bears should be great!

I have confirmed at least 4 bears out and about. Fresh tracks were spotted in the last 10 days.

Remember our Outdoor Forum Spring Bear Hunters Special! Just $50 a night per person and includes meals!

Good luck and look forward to seeing you out here!

Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

That sounds great!
    In Nature's Image Taxidermy and Game Calls
    Palmer

Claude has such a good deal going even if not hunting a guy should take him up on $50.00 a day with food, just to get out of town and visit.

Happy spring to all.

Roland, I hear what you are saying, but the discount is only for people hunting bears from the forum. The idea is to encourage folks to get out and take a few so we get more moose.

Thanks!
    Claude

My family will be up there this fall for Caribou, my lovely wife may not come along if I can't show her a bit of comfort. Your place sounds like it would be just right. Is your lodge next to the Clearwater CUA?
    We have 'wheelers, but I would prefer to not compete in the motorized hunting arena this fall. My son and I are both long legged knuckledragger types, and can cover a lot of ground on foot.
    Been looking for a good reason to go up for some scouting, a spring bear trip could be a win-win for all.
    We do not have any kind of sno-go motorized transport. Would I be crazy to show up with snowshoes, a rifle, and good glass, - expecting to have a chance of locating something within a few miles of the hi-way?

Hello 7MM! Yes, we are actually in the CUA, or adjacent to it anyhow. You can walk right from the lodge and hunt into the CUA. If you can cover ground, thats the place to go! No need or a wheeler. Just good glass and rifle and a pair of snowshoes, and your in. You an drive in and glass along the way. You'll see their tracks up high a lot of times.

Highway Update: Day one of plowing and they have made it to the top of 20 mile hill, about MP 117.

Claude

Keep the updates coming.

Highway update. We understand they have plowed to either Seattle Creek or Brushkana Creek. I expect them Thursday or Friday, this week... but you never know!

FYI there will be construction at seattle cr bridge this summer...please plan accordingly

First bear taken today! 8 footer! Beautiful bear!

What's to plan accordingly? They said intermittent openings for short periods. No long term delays.

Taken from the lodge, Claude? If so, pictures??

Taken from the lodge. About 2pm. No pictures. I leave it up to the hunter if he wants to share. Got a great video I'm watching right now! He's on the forum, so you might see it!

Claude

Excellent! Glad to hear it!

Quote Originally Posted by denalihunter View Post
    First bear taken today! 8 footer! Beautiful bear!

That's Awesome! Got my reservation in last night! see you Friday! Hope you've got a few more hanging around!

Sweeeet
    love the Denali Highway beautiful land been hunting there since the early 70s ( back before wheeler)

Hello and welcome to almost spring! We have word from the DOT that plowing will begin on the Denali Highway on Monday, April 11th. There is no overflow this year to plow up, so I expect they could get to us by April 15th at the latest. Now this plowing is from the Cantwell side, and they are responsible for plowing from Cantwell to MP 60, 8 miles to the East of us. So should be able to drive in to here soon! I don't have any idea on the schedule for the Paxson side.

Snow conditions in the mountains is still excellent! Had the best snow of the season a couple of days ago heading into the Coffee Shop in the Clearwaters. So spring riding for bears should be great!

I have confirmed at least 4 bears out and about. Fresh tracks were spotted in the last 10 days.

Remember our Outdoor Forum Spring Bear Hunters Special! Just $50 a night per person and includes meals!

Good luck and look forward to seeing you out here!

Claude
    When does your special end? Will it be available when a person can drive in?

We camped and hunted from MP 53 last year. It was my first Alaskan hunt and was the most memorable hunt I have ever been on. We will certainly be back this fall.

As for spring bears, I am an Alaskan newb so I don't know a lot about the Denali area, but I'd love to hunt it in the next several weeks. Any advice? Are any of the trails north of the highway open to Jeeps during the spring?

Default Update - 4/15/2016

The plows should be here either tonight, or in the morning!

The spring bear hunter special ends on May 15th.

You will be able to drive in to the lodge probably tomorrow. I expect we'll be able to drive North into the Clearwater Controlled Use Area at least a little ways starting in a couple of weeks. For now, bring your snow machines and trailer them to the trailheads from the lodge.

Good luck!

Claude

Thanks for the updates, very helpful for me.

Got word of a bear mauling, in your area ?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast