Thread: Larsen Bay Area

Default Larsen Bay Area

Wife has her db246 hunt coming up quickly. We will be hunting the area between Larsen bay and 7 mile beach. Two questions.
    1. Should we bring waders for the lowlands?
    2. Mosquitos an issue?
    Everyone here has been fantastic help with helping us plan this hunt over the past year. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I go everywhere In Waders. Life's miserable if you need them and don't have them! Never seen skeeters as a problem on kodiak.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Been to that area of Kodiak on 4 different spring bear hunts and have never had a problems with mosquitos or other little flying pests.

Randy

That's what I figured on both counts. Thanks!

john,

I tried to answer your PM but your box is full. Here is my response:

John,

I have hunted just a little farther into the bay than where you are going so I don't know your area very well. The bears will be out and from the salt to the top of the mountains. Learn the area topography and do a lot of glassing. Only times I have used waders is getting in and out of the boat or crossing small streams. the area doesn't have a lot of swampy areas. look at the airport web cam for Larsen Bay to get a better idea of current weather in that area.

Randy

please post the story when you get back as I have that same tag for spring of 2017....what air taxi are you using?

Thank you Randy. Emptying out my mailbox now

John,

Good luck to your wife and have fun. Let her dictate the hunt. Remember, when mama ain't happy, nobody is happy. And as said above, we want to hear about the hunt when you guys get back. I am tired of reading all the bickering!

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    I go everywhere In Waders.
    I don't know how you do it....it would drive me crazy!

I would imagine one thing though....it probably feels DA*N good when you take them off at the end of the day......lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

lol I used to do all my sheep and goat hunts in them too!! Now I just live in them on kodiak. Saves me having to pack rain pants...lol
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I have been hunting deer out of Larsen in the fall for several years and have never worn anything other than knee high rubber boots. i think that Seven Mile beach is exposed to Shelikof Straight so it can be hard to beach a boat most of the time. At least in the fall there always seems to be a pretty big surf there. So be careful there.

Prior to moving to Alaska in 1975 I bought a leather boot called "Herman Survivor" I hunted spring of 1977 in Larson bay/ Karluk river area. My hunting partner wore Browning boots. From the first day out my boots got soaked causing my partner to say "the only guy that survived was Herman"
    I had taken about 8 pair of socks for our 15 day hunt and each morning I would feel for the 2 driest socks to start another day.LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    I go everywhere In Waders. Life's miserable if you need them and don't have them! Never seen skeeters as a problem on kodiak.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland on the River View Post
    Prior to moving to Alaska in 1975 I bought a leather boot called "Herman Survivor"
    Ha...!!! I had some of those too. They weren't even gore tex but were silicone impregnated leather. When I bought mine the store was advertising them by having one boot floating right side up in a fish tank. They were about the farthest thing from a waterproof boot that I ever owned. Took them back right away for a refund.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Ha...!!! I had some of those too. They weren't even gore tex but were silicone impregnated leather. When I bought mine the store was advertising them by having one boot floating right side up in a fish tank. They were about the farthest thing from a waterproof boot that I ever owned. Took them back right away for a refund.....
    Guy had a pair of them and was bragging to us how good they were. The first day into a 10 day elk hunt they were soaked through so he hung them behind the wood stove to dry come morning the glue had heated up and both soles were hanging off. End of bragging.

Waders--don't leave home (or the tent) without them!