Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 Kenai River Dipnetting Reports

Default 2016 Kenai River Dipnetting Reports

Let's post our dipnetting reports for the Kenai River here, to keep them all in one place!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

2016 Dipping report #1 Went down yesterday, nobody dipping. Nice and quiet, no jumpers spotted.

Quote Originally Posted by ERDucker View Post
    2016 Dipping report #1 Went down yesterday, nobody dipping. Nice and quiet, no jumpers spotted.

" Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

It's only April and the crowds haven't even started the migration south.peeace.jpg

Dippers should have improved Kenai south beach access this year as the city of Kenai's new access road is taking shape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by smithtb View Post
    Dippers should have improved Kenai south beach access this year as the city of Kenai's new access road is taking shape.

maybe they can get money from Donald Trump to build a fence or would it be a wall along the road to keep the dipnetters from ruining everything within a 100 yards of the road.

Default Kenai dip netting

Rough opener! Friends put in 10 hours for 11 fish from a boat.

Monday was a little better, got a late start trying to find a replacement net. 10am - 2pm. 18 from boat. Was probably best 6 - 10

Quote Originally Posted by NORTH2AK View Post
    Monday was a little better, got a late start trying to find a replacement net. 10am - 2pm. 18 from boat. Was probably best 6 - 10
    What size were they?

I like how the site owner made a special thread and made it a "sticky" at the top of the forum and no one posts in it now that the season has begun.

Any reports so far? Thinking of going this weekend or next depending on what I hear

Quote Originally Posted by BigDipper View Post
    I like how the site owner made a special thread and made it a "sticky" at the top of the forum and no one posts in it now that the season has begun.
    That thread already existed...then this one was started.

Quote Originally Posted by ERDucker View Post
    That thread already existed...then this one was started.
    My point exactly.

OK, I have a question and could probably spend an hour looking the info up, but I was hoping that someone already did that. Since the Kenai kings are running strong enough to allow harvest and the dippers are currently allowed retention of one king per household, does anyone know if:

1. There is a requirement to have a king stamp to retain a king? If so, does everyone over 16 in the household need one in case they are the lucky one to net it?

2.. Does the slot limit pertain to the dipnet fishery?

Appreciate the info.

Quote Originally Posted by CapnMike View Post
    What size were they?
    Fish have been pretty average sized so far from my observations. Lots of nice plump ones. Definitely bigger than last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Burntfrog View Post
    Any reports so far? Thinking of going this weekend or next depending on what I hear
    I made two passes with my kids from the bridge to the downstream marker opposite the fuel dock Sunday (more because the weather was nice than anything, wasn't expecting much) both on the south bank with zero fish in the boat and I didn't see any caught either (wasn't looking hard though). I saw one jumper just below the ADF&G test net site (where the old fish counter was) on the way down river. I saw maybe a dozen people flipping on the bank back & forth with no sockeyes on anywhere.

Three observations from the boat:
    1) The City of Kenai added a lot more marker buoys and a few more "no wake" buoys & signs compared to last year. At lower tide states it is a little congested around the gas line, be careful when the crowds start showing up.
    2) I put in at the Pillars - launch fee is $20 up from $15 last year (state boat launch annual passes are still no good at the Pillars). I think I read the Kenai City Dock fees are up too.
    3) A trooper was checking permits, etc. at the dock when I came back, read & follow the regs or expect to be ticketed (I was good to go for what it's worth).

I'll be there working around tides starting on Thursday, I'll try to update this thread if I have time. I expect chaos by the weekend.

-Ben

As told by a f/w trooper last year, everyone over the age of 16 needs a fishin liciense with a king stamp and a dipnet permit if they are dipping and keeping a king. Check EOs to make sure that keeping a dipped king is ok. Just to b sure. I aleays check them before I go as rules change quickly. Good luck man...
    "Fisherman for Life" and "Phantom owner Forever"

Quote Originally Posted by Bob the fisher View Post
    As told by a f/w trooper last year, everyone over the age of 16 needs a fishin liciense with a king stamp and a dipnet permit if they are dipping and keeping a king. Check EOs to make sure that keeping a dipped king is ok. Just to b sure. I aleays check them before I go as rules change quickly. Good luck man...
    So your saying that any king I dip in a Personal Use fishery must be recorded on the back of my sport fish license, or king record card for us old geezers? That doesn't make any sense to me, one is a Personal Use fishery and one is Sport Fishing. Seems like there would be a lot of double recording going on. Then would my dipped king count towards my 2 king sport limit in the Kenai? Seems like a call to the Troopers is warranted.

17 fish betw 11am and 1pm on South beach today. Nice little run then died. Females are hogs, males not so much. Very thin crowd on N and S beaches.

I know that a dipped king must b recorded on the dipnet permit and it does count towards yur anual king catch. Now, about reportin it on yur fishin liciense, im not sure. I agree about a call to the f/w troopers. Better safe than sorry. If u do call and find out, plz let us know. Thanx man...
    "Fisherman for Life" and "Phantom owner Forever"

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast