Thread: Our Dipnetting Section, including Salmon Run Charts!

Default Our Dipnetting Section, including Salmon Run Charts!

Hi folks,

Looks like dipnetting season is coming up soon, and I thought I would remind you that late last spring we finally launched our comprehensive dipnetting section, which includes pages on the following:

DIPNETTING ESSENTIALS
    Salmon Run Charts
    We're in the process of making it pretty, but it has all the runs in the entire state that ADFG tracks, and it is uploaded in real time, live from the source. Our Salmon Run Charts are found on just about every dipnetting page in the entire section.

General Dipnetting Page

Includes Salmon Run Charts, an orientation to the entire dipnet fishery across the state, with details on each location, and much more.

Dipnet Rigging Page
    Detailed instructions on what kinds of nets to use in different areas, and how to rig them up for the various dipnet fisheries.

Dipnetting Gear Page
    A detailed discussion of all the gear you need to go dipnetting in the various personal-use fisheries.

Dipnetting Methods Page
    Explores the various methods used in each of Alaska's dipnet fisheries.

Caring for Your Catch
    How to clean and keep your catch in the field, before you are able to get it all home.

COPPER RIVER

Copper River Intro Page
    Provides a detailed overview of the Copper River personal use fishery, including a map, land use issues, and public access corridors that allow you to access the Copper River.

Copper River Logistics Page
    A detailed discussion of the amenities available in the Chitina area, camping areas, and other facilities you need to know about for a Copper River dipnetting trip.

Copper River Orientation Page
    Provides details on the various places to dipnet the Copper River, along with how to access them and what to expect when you get there.

KENAI RIVER

Kenai River Intro Page
    Includes a detailed introduction to the Kenai River dipnet fishery, including maps, locations and a general orientation to the fishery. Includes conservation aspects and trespass issues.

Kenai Dipnetting Logistics Page
    All you need to know about where to launch your boat, lodging in the area, camping areas, fish processors, and where to find what you need while you're in the area.

KASILOF RIVER

FISH CREEK

(section is launching soon)

HOOLIGAN PAGES

The Hooligan Page
    A detailed discussion of hooligan, including their lifecycle, run timing and availability.

Twentymile River
    A detailed discussion of where, when and how to dipnet hooligan at Twentymile River.
    ===================

Hope you enjoy the new section, and by all means feel free to suggest any changes you might think of. We'd like to make this section as useful as possible.

-Mike
    Last edited by Michael Strahan; 04-06-2016 at 19:48.
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Awesome! Just turned my last fillet into salmon spread a couple weeks ago...I am ready for a fresh red!!! One thing I would bring to your attention....on the "general dipnetting" page, it appears to say that kings are an available species at Kasilof...they are not.
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

As far as dipnetting, you are correct. Although, you can keep kings in the Kasilof Gillnet Fishery. This should be clarified. I did not read through the entire "general dipnetting" link, so maybe it's clarified somewhere in there.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Good catch! That one has been corrected. If you see anything else let me know. Also if some information is missing, that would help as well. I want this section to really be useful for dipnetters, and all concerned with this fishery and the effects it has locally.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.

Just off the top of my head, I would let folks know that 4wd is basically a necessity at Kasilof south side....and keep an eye on your rig when the tide's coming in....I've seen a few trucks go for a swim there. Also might be a good idea to remind people that river water is NOT sanitary...probably shouldn't rinse your fillets in it....
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

I should be able to launch the Kasilof page today. Is anyone aware of any private property issues / camping restrictions at the mouth? I don't fish the Kasilof and have only been there a few times, researching for this section.

-Mike

I think most people just camp on the beach...I know some folks camp on private land off Cohoe Loop and ride ATVs and whatnot back and forth....not aware of any issues or conflicts although I'm sure they happen occasionally....south side is usually pretty friendly and laid back scene....dude