Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Generator Recommendations

Default Generator Recommendations

Hi Y'all. I'm looking to buy a new or used portable and quiet generator. I currently own an old homelite that I've owned for about 20 years. It's heavy, cumbersome, loud, and unreliable. I would like to upgrade and I'm curious what to buy. I've been looking at the Honda E2000 generators and I think that might fit the bill but I don't know much about them. Does anyone have any experience with them and can give me a recommendation or any other generators that are quiet, portable, and reliable?

That's the generator I have. I've had it for about seven or eight years now and have used it a fair amount. A couple years ago I ran it for three days straight here at the house when we lost power. Absolutely zero issues whatsoever, it is very quiet, and light weight. I think the Yamaha's are probably just as good, but I don't have any experience with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Hondas are top notch. Check out some of their other models though for fuel consumption, and run time per fill up.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

I have the 1000. Love it.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Own a couple hondas, zero issues.
    The hondas will suck out of an external tank with an aftermarket cap, dont think the yammi's do it.
    2000 honda at show last weekend was $900-.
    Will run 8-12hrs on low idle at the cabin charging the solar batts yet still run a vacuum, toaster, etc....
    Id replace any of mine in a second with the same thing.
    Bk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Airboats, ocean boats, and river boats serviced.
    https://www.facebook.com/BKMarineServices?fref=ts

we also own several generators. We have ZERO reservations recommending the Honda 2000. Easy to move around, easy to maintain, always starts (unless your brother in law puts diesel in it). Can be connected together. We use one at our remote cabin- fill it up in the a.m. & if we don't turn it off, it'll run for 12 hours- running a chest freezer (7cf), lights as needed (in summer), 5 kids worth of charging ipods, DS's, Kindles, movie players, a big tv & DVD player, tool chargers, battery charger (on all the time when gene is on), occasional vacuuming- oh and the jet pump on the well & pressure tank. The only thing that really makes it run short is running a big fan.

We have a 1000, and use it when we're camping. Also have a newer 3000 and use it when I run the washer (yeah, I took a washer to the cabin). It is SUPER quiet. It's on wheels, so it's easy to tow around.

The 2000 is the winner overall though.

I have the Yamaha EF2000IS which is Yamaha's version of the Honda unit.
    I have used it on my camping trips to Alaska and last year built the shell of my cabin with it.
    It has been flawless and has a couple of things the Honda doesn't @ the same price point.
    Those being a fuel gauge and a fuel shut off.
    You also don't need to purchase a cold weather kit to use it in the winter time.

Generac also has a new 2000 watt inverter generator that is less $$$$ and is supposed to be quieter than the Honda unit.
    Generac makes all different kinds of generators so you know they have the proper background.
    I see this unit as being a very good alternative to the Honda and Yamaha units.

http://www.generac.com/all-products/...-series/iq2000

Just a thought for anyone buying a generator.... When we built our home we didn't have electric grid to the house yet so needed a generator to build it. When I looked at generators to buy, I noticed some had the ability to be used as a welder too. I found a Generac w welding capabilities on sale for as cheap as w/o the welder and bought it. I've used the welder (and the generator) several times over the years and glad I went that route. It's served me well.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Honda and Yamaha are the Timex of generators.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

I run a small wire feed off my Honda 2000 on occasion, no problem. Also no issues during cold temps, purrs like a timex.
    Its hooked up via a quick disconnect on the 5 gallon tank. Pop the dripless line off and carry it away.

There is a propane conversion for the honda. No experience with it, but it exists, fyi!

Bk

Just using a construction generator right now, but will pick up a Honda or Yamaha when we get tired of the racket. One feature I want is the remote start. Not the wireless gadget but a wired circuit much like the Onan panel on the RV. To get that you need to have electric start on the generator. Last I looked that wasn't available until you got into the 3000 watt range.

I put together a spreadsheet comparing features and cost for a boatload of gas generators. If you foresee a lot of hours on the machine then the cost savings of good fuel efficiency will offset the up front cost of a Honda or Yamaha. If you're at a remote location, consider how much work is involved in getting the fuel on site. I think I'd price fuel at $10 a gallon for that analysis, and Honda will win hands down.

I read a thread recently on this forum where someone recommended getting the small inverter generator and restricting tool choices to those that can be powered by the smaller power output. I'm generally a believer in the opposite philosophy, much like Tim Allen of Tool Time fame. But I'm starting to come around to the less-is-more philosophy when the only way to get stuff on site is via snowmachine or float plane. I just built a platform for my Weatherport using a Rolair 2.5 gal compressor and I had no problems running a single framing nailer off of it. Quiet, small, and only 8 amps.

I have both a Yamaha EF3000iSEB and a Honda 2000i. The Honda gets used the most as it is on a external 6 gallon tank. The Yamaha is used when using air compressors or table/chop saws or other tools that have a bigger load. Here is a link to a remote start for the Yamaha that I will be upgrading to. http://www.pinellaspowerproducts.com...ol-kits#cat_25 This is the best one on the market now.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

I have been running the Yamaha 4500 EFI for 8 years straight now, have 4200 hours and have never had an issue. Don't run it much anymore since going to solar except for a hard charge before we leave. It will run 19 hours on 3-1/2 gal of gas and I have the wireless remote which was the best cabin investment I have made yet. REALLY nice being able to shut down or fire up when it's dark, late and -20...

We have a pair of the Honda 2000s. We like ours.

A little off topic, but I've got a Honda 2000 as well and love it for all the reasons given. I'm looking for a circular saw that I can run off it to use on a job though and am hoping someone can recommend one.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Mauler View Post
    A little off topic, but I've got a Honda 2000 as well and love it for all the reasons given. I'm looking for a circular saw that I can run off it to use on a job though and am hoping someone can recommend one.
    Honda has a web page showing a heavy duty 7-1/4 inch saw as needing 2300 W for startup and 1400 W running.
    http://powerequipment.honda.com/gene...timation-guide

That probably assumes a 12 amp saw. Most saws available are in the 12 to 15 amp range. That looks to be more power than your Honda can provide. Depending on the job, you might be able to use a 4-1/2 inch saw that only needs 5 amps, something easily supplied by the 2000W generator.
    http://www.lowes.com/pd_520340-54602...uctId=50369688

Default Generator Recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by AK Mauler View Post
    I have a regular cheap Skil 7.25" that I run on the Honda 2k. What I do it feather the trigger, getting it up to speed, then start cutting. If I line it up on the wood, then just pull the trigger like I would at the house, it trips the genny breaker.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I haven't tried to use my generator to charge my battery powered tools, but I think it'd work. Run the gen. to slow charge the batteries while working the tool with a charged battery. I don't think it'd be the most efficient energy use, but it'd be easier than running cords.

I have the new generac 2000, nice unit, I have also had the hondas and the yamahas. After about 5-6 years the hondas become difficult to start and the plastics start to crack, zero issues with the yamaha yet, and none with the generac. The generac is nice because it tells you how much fuel is left by amount of time and has tons of other features, and is quieter than any other 2000 I've heard. By the way, never take a honda all the way apart and expect it not to break something when you put it back together, I made that mistake on my first one.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonardC View Post
    I haven't tried to use my generator to charge my battery powered tools, but I think it'd work. Run the gen. to slow charge the batteries while working the tool with a charged battery. I don't think it'd be the most efficient energy use, but it'd be easier than running cords.
    Dewalt 20v batts recharge on the Honda 2000. Built the cabin with cordless tools for the most part, generator was used sparingly to charge equipment.

Bk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast