Thread: Arctic cat HDX crew, my first wheels!!

Default Arctic cat HDX crew, my first wheels!!

So I've never owned anything with wheels for recreational purposes before. Ended up this year tying into this new crew from arctic cat. It's a 700, seats six and isn't to shabby. Easy to see how folks dump coin on tricking this things out. Only 22 miles on it so not real sure what I need to do to it. Front bumper is on the way, thinking skid plates and a half windshield. Gonna run it for a year before I find out if I need more ground clearance. After that....?

Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default Arctic cat HDX crew, my first wheels!!

Very first thing You need is a winch. Superwich 4500

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Congrats, nice rig. Your gonna have a lot of fun with that.

One of the first things we did with our 700 HDX was to put some 'good' tires on it. Stock tires are OK but a 'good' set of after market tires will sure make you a lot happier.
    Hope you all enjoy your 700 HDX as much as we do!!!

I debated the winch. Gonna just run a come along this year and see how it goes. That way I have a winch from any angle that won't be pre buried in mud.
    I already would like bigger tires, I believe I can go up to 28"'with out needing a lift kit but still need to the clutch kit. I think a roof might be nice.....
    Master guide 212

Looks like they gave you a matching pair of gloves with your purchase.....lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Bear,
    Fab up a nice aluminum roof cover, better than the plastic aftermarket ones.
    Bk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Airboats, ocean boats, and river boats serviced.
    https://www.facebook.com/BKMarineServices?fref=ts

Haha my old slope gloves!!
    Master guide 212

I only went up one size, to 27", but went with 8 ply tires. Yes they offer a stiffer ride, but they are less likely to get the side walls cut on rocks and such.
    If you plan on doing much off trail riding, you will be very sorry that you did not get the winch sooner!!!! While we have not used ours much, when we did need it, we really needed it!!!!!!
    We do not have the 'Crew' model, but the soft top and heater kit make late season hunting/riding much better. As has already been stated, look at making a good hard top. You will not be sorry!

Lol ya a winch of some sort
    Is one of those, crap shoulda got it things. Lol my big worry with the longer wheelbase is how much more I'll get high centered if I'm not careful. Hence my thoughts on bigger wheels and metal skid plates.
    Master guide 212

Nice rig. Know where your tow points are, and carry some chain if you don't have a winch, then you can adjust the come-along a lot better.

Hey BRWNBR, may I suggest a winch. Especially with the longer wheel base. Even if you install larger tires it's gonna get hung up occasionally and you will appreciate it over a comalong not only for convenience but for ease of use. Tow straps and a snatch block aren't a bad idea either. Trust me after 30 or so years of messing with these ATV's ya tend to learn a few lessons. Again that is a nice ride, hopefully I'll pick up a good used one next year or so I've been waiting for cat to make one.

The winch may be coming, costs to get
    This in the driveway has slowed down accessories. Longer wheelbase and being pretty heavy manually moving this thing around isn't really an option. Lol
    Master guide 212

Your not getting soft are you? Just kidding. Congrats on your new toy. I have been running ATV's since the Honda 3 wheeler's and Big Red's showed up. Since 1998 I have been running the Polaris Big Boss 6-wheeler and currently have a 2011 model.

My wife and me are in our mid 60's and they enable us to do much more then we could do with out them. In 2013 I bought her a Polaris Razor 570 with power steering and engine breaking as I was worried about her driving around on her 4-wheeler. I put 26" Mud Lites and a 2" lift and these plastic gizmos that go on the axle so she won't crank it tight and try to power over some obstacle and break and axle. A top, full tilting window and an extra 12 volt outlet and she is good to go. She likes the 12 volt seat warmer I got her, wish I had one. The next up grade will be aftermarket shocks.

A winch to me is a must and hers wears a 3,500 lb. winch and we carry a single part shiv to double the pull. We carry spare parts, belts, a back up battery since we can't push or pull start them, a shovel, come along, 50' of synthetic winch line, tire patching kit, 12 volt and manual tire pumps and a bunch of other crap. We also have a 5/16" diameter 3' choker for wrapping around trees so as not to kink the winch line, a couple shackles and a couple 25' 10,000 pound rated nylon tow straps.

I think a longer wheel base might be worse if you get stuck. Every body gets stuck, which is why me and my wife take 2 machines and it allows us to ride double if one breaks down, they all break down.

I am of the opinion that crossing streams in any side by side is more dangerous then doing it on a 4-wheeler and then are more then one documented fatalities from side by sides rolling over in a stream and the occupant not being able to get out. There is a lot more surface area for the water to grab. At least on a 4 wheeler one can slide off of the back or get on the up stream side easier and hang on as most will float.

I know you are and experienced out door guy and will have a ball with the new toy.

I wondered about the stream crossings....thanks for the info.
    My intended use for this machine isn't to be real off road adventurous. It's got a pretty specific purpose. I grew up on a big red as well, back when you could hunt behind eureka....almost alone. And can see how a four wheeler is a much better exploring atv than one of these side by sides. But like say, it has a specific purpose for the most
    Part. I don't have time to play on one but the normal "just in case" equipment is still important. Just gotta pony up all the after purchase coin.
    Master guide 212

Congrats Jake on the new ride. Good seeing the kids and they will have a blast on that. Hauling bear bait with that???

Mark clear your inbox,
    It's to full!
    Kids already love it, they call it GREW the crew. After the dude with the pointy noise in those despicable me movies. My little girl isn't 2 yrs yet, but she says "grew, see it, ride it, go grammas house!" Rode
    It to my folks once so now she hopes we go there on every ride!!
    Lol
    Master guide 212

Cleared out some of those messages!! Have to say I haven't seen the show but that must be fun for you and the kids. Lots of memories from a machine already. I do think you need a bait trailer though!!!!