Thread: Brand-New Alaska Bush Flying Manual!

Default Brand-New Alaska Bush Flying Manual!

We just picked up a supply of William Quirk's "Self-Reliant Pilot" in the store. I met him at the sportsman show here in Anchorage, and after discussing this book with him, it looked like a good addition to our store. It deals with many aspects of Alaska bush flying, including training, weather, situational awareness, takeoffs and landings, low light, winter flying, and flying wildlife surveys in Alaska. Looks like a great comprehensive primer on many aspects of Alaska bush flying, and I think many folks will benefit from it. Retail price is $24.95. You can pick up a copy AT THIS LINK.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Are we supposed to know who William Quirk is? Let me put this another way, why should I buy a book from William Quirk on flying?

From his website:

"Bill Quirk has lived in Alaska for the past 46 years. During this time, he was employed by the U.S. Department of Defense for 30 years managing the Army’s 1.7 million acres of military land in Alaska. He retired in 2004. Bill is also a 40-year Alaskan fixed-wing pilot who has logged 5,105 hours as a Pilot-In-Command. He has flown 10 distinctive types of airplanes. Most of his flying has been in taildraggers where he has accrued 4,430 hours. Bill has used his personally-owned aircraft to conduct wildlife surveys in Alaska for over 20 years. In his time off from working and flying, Bill has explored Alaska’s wild backcountry......."

I'd be happy to invest the $24.95 on the very probable chance that I'll learn something.

.....that being said, I'd suspect many on this forum (including those that crossover with the supercub forum) have more time as PIC
    Back in AK

Quote Originally Posted by pa12drvr View Post
    From his website:

"Bill Quirk has lived in Alaska for the past 46 years. During this time, he was employed by the U.S. Department of Defense for 30 years managing the Army’s 1.7 million acres of military land in Alaska. He retired in 2004. Bill is also a 40-year Alaskan fixed-wing pilot who has logged 5,105 hours as a Pilot-In-Command. He has flown 10 distinctive types of airplanes. Most of his flying has been in taildraggers where he has accrued 4,430 hours. Bill has used his personally-owned aircraft to conduct wildlife surveys in Alaska for over 20 years. In his time off from working and flying, Bill has explored Alaska’s wild backcountry......."

I'd be happy to invest the $24.95 on the very probable chance that I'll learn something.

.....that being said, I'd suspect many on this forum (including those that crossover with the supercub forum) have more time as PIC
    Thanks for this post! It's also been my experience that I can almost always learn something from a person with whom I share a common interest. Although I'm not a pilot, I did meet the author and he struck me as the sort of person who would have something meaningful to contribute. There's not much out there specifically on Alaska bush flying... I thought it would be worth a gamble.

I saw your order in the store, and will get it out in tomorrow's mail. Thanks!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Where is this being shipped from? over $17 for shipping to an Anchorage address??