Thread: Outboard Jet repower?

Default Outboard Jet repower?

I have a Wooldridge AK II 18.5 with a 115 Yamaha 4s and it needs more power. Any thoughts/recommendations on this? The hull is rated for 175 but there are no factory 175 jets that I'm aware of. The obvious choice is the Yamaha 150 but will I be happy with the performance? I'd hate to drop all the cash on a upgrade and be less that thrilled. The Mercury 4s 150 seems to have good reviews from what little I can find online. Anyone running one in the jet version?

Thanks

The Suzuki DF140 gets to run a larger size "power foot" than a comparable 150hp. You should also consider calling up Wooldridge and see if you could benefit from one of their stainless 4 blade impellers. It depends on what impeller you are currently running. I have a 3 blade stainless impeller on my Honda 90 powered SeaArk 1860. It has lots of power and speed, but when loaded I could use a bit more. Glenn Wooldridge suggested a 4 blade would help me hop up on plane sooner and carry a bigger load.

I'd go that route first and see if an impeller could help.

Sobie2

I have the Yamaha 150 4 stroke on my seaark 2272MVJT. It has a CC and minimum seating so it jumps up on step, and has float pods. A buddy has a 20ft alumaweld with a cab and fabric top, and purchased it with a 115 merc. He was back at the shop by the end of the year putting the 150 merc on and it jumps up nice now. The 115 just couldn’t push the load you typically put on the boat come August/September. The 4 stroke merc is a bit lighter for the 150 if you are worried about weight, and if your transom digs with a 115 you’re going to need to mitigate that with pods or trimtabs when you upgrade. I would say you are going to be more than happy moving to the 150, but if your still unsure that is enough power look into the 200 Yamaha with the jet…

I had a new Wooldridge Alaskan that had 135 Evinrude H.O. on the back and it was a great motor. it was the direct injected 2 stroke. it hauled us around pretty good. I liked that it had the automatic winterization with the BRP. I saw a lot of guys with the same boat but with the Suzuki 140.

Quote Originally Posted by Sobie2 View Post
    The Suzuki DF140 gets to run a larger size "power foot" than a comparable 150hp. You should also consider calling up Wooldridge and see if you could benefit from one of their stainless 4 blade impellers. It depends on what impeller you are currently running. I have a 3 blade stainless impeller on my Honda 90 powered SeaArk 1860. It has lots of power and speed, but when loaded I could use a bit more. Glenn Wooldridge suggested a 4 blade would help me hop up on plane sooner and carry a bigger load.

I'd go that route first and see if an impeller could help.

Sobie2
    Just to clarify, the Suzuki DF140 and the Merc 150 utilize the same impeller and foot. 7 5/8 V6 Stainless. Since the Merc is rated at 150hp it should technically provide more rpms to turn the impeller and hence more HP at the jet.
    North River and Phantom Boat Dealer
    Mecury, FNM Diesel Engine, Hagglund sales and service
    Prop, Impeller & Alumimum boat repair, customization, & metal fabrication.
    Visit www.akfrontierfab.com

No doubt that the new Merc 115 and 150 motors are fantastic motors. Unlike all the other four strokes they do not need valve adjustments by design. So you can maintain them all by yourself. When my Honda BF90 finally give up I will be hanging a Merc 115 on the transom, and it weighs less than my 90!

Sobie2