Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32

Thread: CZ 75 versus 1911

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    8,815

    Default CZ 75 versus 1911

    Seems like every gun maker and his competitor offers a 1911.

    More than 1 maker offers an Autiomactic pistol based on the CZ 75

    Considering, that the 75 has more modern features, would it not be better if manufactures made 75s, insteda all them 1911s?

    Here we have all these modern auto pistols available, and these clunky old 1911s must be out selling them all.

    With revolvers the more modern DAs are more popular.

    What is this world coming to???

    SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

  2. #2
    Supporting Member Amigo Will's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Wrangell
    Posts
    7,601

    Default

    Many of the elite units of the military have gone back to the 1911. We need to quit the NATO approved ammo thing.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Mat-Su
    Posts
    1,181

    Default

    There is a 'strong' following for the 1911 format pistol. While they may not be for everyone, the 1911 is hard to beat. I do have my 1911, 45ACP that I used shooting 'combat pistol' but it is not my first choice for being out in the woods.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Eureka MT
    Posts
    3,048

    Default

    The "modern" pistols fix a lot of things on the 1911 that don't need fixed. Most of the new 1911s fix one thing that should not be fixed on a combat or carry pistol. They like to tighten them up to increase accuracy and usually reliability suffers. Other than the sights, the 1911 has nothing that needs fixed.

  5. #5
    Member GrassLakeRon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Grass Lake Michigan
    Posts
    1,978

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Seems like every gun maker and his competitor offers a 1911.

    More than 1 maker offers an Autiomactic pistol based on the CZ 75

    Considering, that the 75 has more modern features, would it not be better if manufactures made 75s, insteda all them 1911s?

    Here we have all these modern auto pistols available, and these clunky old 1911s must be out selling them all.

    With revolvers the more modern DAs are more popular.

    What is this world coming to???

    SOTN
    The CZ75 is a great gun. It has a cult following, not like the godlike status we give the 1911. It is quality for the price.

    Now if you like the 1911, but want a 9mm without the cost, then check out the Zastava M88a. It is a John Browning design with a different fire control group, designed to be easily swapped out. The prices are around $220. I own one. Never had a miss feed. Check out the mountain of YouTube videos.

    one day closer to alaska.
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

    Edwin Hubble

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    8,815

    Default

    I went to SW today and their counter had 3 shelves showing through the glass. Virtually ALL the handguns were of 1911 design. There WERE some some OTHER kinds on the wall behind the counter.

    Yet, I see OTHER than 1911 types heavily advertised.

    They must have something goin for them, but if you wanted to buy one,,,,, WHERE would you START??

    SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    8,815

    Default

    Oops, I forgot about the glock. Maybe, that's why 1911s are so popular. Just kiddin, but on purpose.

    I think I like an auto pistol with a hammer that is DA the 1st shot. I understand some folks don't consider that a valuable feature.

    SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

  8. #8
    Member Libertine's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Murder Capitol, AK
    Posts
    185

    Default

    I have a CZ 75 (1992 vintage) in 9mm. It's a fine 15 + 1 pistol which can be carried "cocked and locked" or with hammer down to be fired in double action mode. The pistol points naturally like a 1911 or Browning HiPower and has a sweet double action trigger pull. Those familiar with the 1911 manual of arms will have little trouble transitioning to this "Wonder Nine."


    The late, great Col. Jeff Cooper (Gunsite founder and father of modern pistol technique) did not like the 9mm cartridge. He was a 1911 and .45 ACP advocate, but even he admitted a fondness for the CZ 75. For those who haven't shot a CZ 75, try to get your hands on one to shoot it. You won't be disappointed.

    The 1911 and .45 ACP is tops in my world, but the CZ 75 offers high capacity and double action carry which the 1911 does not have. It's a different tool for your "tool box", and who can argue with having more tools at your disposal.

  9. #9
    Member GrassLakeRon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Grass Lake Michigan
    Posts
    1,978

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    I went to SW today and their counter had 3 shelves showing through the glass. Virtually ALL the handguns were of 1911 design. There WERE some some OTHER kinds on the wall behind the counter.

    Yet, I see OTHER than 1911 types heavily advertised.

    They must have something goin for them, but if you wanted to buy one,,,,, WHERE would you START??

    SOTN
    Find a different store but in all seriousness, go to the range and see what others are shooting. Ask to shoot theirs, pay them for their ammo. Tell them you are looking to buy and would like the ability to try before hand. This works.....the guys at the range love it when someone asks question about their guns.

    Then if you find one you want, order from Buds guns online. I do. Never had a bad gun. You should not be limited in your choices.

    one day closer to alaska.
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

    Edwin Hubble

  10. #10

    Default

    Actually the CZ 75 is a spin off of the Browning Hi Power. So I think you are giving CZ too much credit. Thread should be the 1911 vs the High Power and it's clones.

    They both have their place. I love my Desert Eagle 1911 Commander. It is Colt 1911 with a different name stamped on the slide. It is quality through and through. My EAA Sar B6p is a generic cheap copy of a copy. It cost a whopping $250. It is very functional and shoots with the sights and would most likely accomplish anything Will's High Power will. However if my EAA was in a holster hanging on the back fence whilst I was working and a big storm came up and I got in the back door without it. It would get to hang there till the weather broke. If the same thing happened and it was Will's High Power hanging on the fence then my keester would be ducking hail stones and dodging lightning bolts to fetch that rascal. It's a respect thing for both High Power and Will.

  11. #11
    Member Libertine's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Murder Capitol, AK
    Posts
    185

    Default

    The Browning Hi Power is another fine high capacity 9mm. Despite the many similarities between the CZ 75 and the Hi Power, there are 2 key features, in my opinion, which make both pistols different.


    (1) The CZ 75 is a DA/SA gun allowing the first shot to be fired in double action. The Hi Power, like the great 1911, is SA only. Whether this is important or not is a matter of personal preference.


    (2) The Hi Power, at least on my FN Belgium version, has a magazine disconnect safety. The gun cannot be fired without a magazine in the pistol. The CZ 75 can be fired without a magazine in place. Again, personal preference.


    In the looks department, the Browning Hi Power wins hands down over the CZ 75. One of the nicest looking semiauto handguns out there, IMO. The Hi Power also has a rich history since adoption in 1935, having been adopted by many dozens of countries around the world.


    CZ 75 or the Hi Power, I don't think a shooter can go wrong with either one, or both.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    8,815

    Default

    Wal, I didn't know the Br HiPr was anything like the CZ 75.

    I will likely end up with a EAA in 45 ACP. The one that works like my Walther PPK.

    IF, I can master HiPoint in 45 I have now. Gonna be bangin away with it tomorrow.

    I farred Andy's SA, EAA in both 10mm and 45, and as I recall, it was a pleasant shooter. EAA makes a model they call the "Hunter", whuch seems exciting.

    I owned a GI, 1911 45 many long years ago, but never got into beeg autos.

    SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    8,815

    Default

    Wal, I didn't know the Br HiPr was anything like the CZ 75.

    I will likely end up with a EAA in 45 ACP. The one that works like my Walther PPK.

    IF, I can master HiPoint in 45 I have now. Gonna be bangin away with it tomorrow.

    I farred Andy's SA, EAA in both 10mm and 45, and as I recall, it was a pleasant shooter. EAA makes a model they call the "Hunter", whuch seems exciting.

    I owned a GI, 1911 45 many long years ago, but never got into beeg autos.

    SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

  14. #14

    Default

    I doubt I will ever be with out my wonderful old Springfield 1911 or my beautiful custom Browning Hi Power. No grip feels better to me then the Hi Power. No trigger feels better to me then a good and quick resetting 1911 trigger. Neither design has any thing to prove and both designs have done fine work in the hands of well trained and capable shooters.

    If I was looking for a new 1911 I would go for a full sized Govt. Mod. Springfield again or find a Series 70 Colt.

    I have never heard any thing bad about the CZ pistols. But, at this point in my life I find it hard to stay on top of my pistol shooting, so I have limited my self to the single action auto, the Glock and the older S&W revolvers.

  15. #15
    Supporting Member Amigo Will's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Wrangell
    Posts
    7,601

    Default

    Takes about five minuets to remove mag disconnect but I like it for safety reasons. The EAA witness are very nice guns. Also I don't like to decock
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Takes about five minuets to remove mag disconnect but I like it for safety reasons. The EAA witness are very nice guns. Also I don't like to decock
    Yup there ain't no flies on the EAA but pounding nails with one ain't out of the question. They could be the bestest inexpensive handlegun on the market.

    The 45 is a good one Smitty, it don't need to take a back seat to nothing. I really, really enjoy showing up at the range when all the city slickers with their my brand is best attitudes are shooting with the other guys that they play golf with. Then ole Butch shoots an amazing group right in front of them with a Tokerev. I can remember when some guy from another country hit Butchy head on and totaled his truck and ended his working career. Butch got a big settlement and bought two more Tokerevs and $10,000 worth of them go fast bottle neck 30 caliber military rounds that he preferred to shoot stuff with. Now I would not trade this cheap EAA for a pile of the those Tokerevs. It just goes to show that beauty is in the eye of the beerholder or something like that. Butch never shot competition...he had nothing to prove to anyone but mostly he just did not like people. He is the best shot with a handgun that I have ever seen bar none........and he did it with a dang Tokerev. He had his own shooting bench at my range and for several years after his accident you could drive by that range any time of day and expect to see Butch sitting at that bench sending rounds down range. I doubt if anyone even Butch picked up a Tokerev for the first time and said man this thing is sweet. Yet a drawer full of warn out Tokerevs later and who knows how many rounds later He insists they are sweetest shooting hammer gun ever made. This is not the first one of these EAAs that I have ever owned and though I have not mastered it like Butch did his Tokes. I have become very comfortable with them and very confident in my ability with one and that is the bottom line concerning any handgunner with any given handgun.

    I can remember my astonishment on this forum back 10 years ago or so when I first started shooting an EAA and liked it. I sheepishly asked what folk thought about the EAA Witness and could not believe that ADFields gave them very high praise. I also got several private messages from forum dignitaries reaping praise on the Witness....we are 10 years later now and Old Butchy's health is badly failing but there is quite an accumulation of 9mm brass where his Tokerev brass used to fall. He doesn't mind that I have patched up his bench and am using the heck out of it. However he did offer to loan me one of his Tokerevs and a tin of ammo. When I declined he said "hey they grow on ya...they did me." I said"ya think?"

  17. #17
    Member GrassLakeRon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Grass Lake Michigan
    Posts
    1,978

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    Yup there ain't no flies on the EAA but pounding nails with one ain't out of the question. They could be the bestest inexpensive handlegun on the market.

    The 45 is a good one Smitty, it don't need to take a back seat to nothing. I really, really enjoy showing up at the range when all the city slickers with their my brand is best attitudes are shooting with the other guys that they play golf with. Then ole Butch shoots an amazing group right in front of them with a Tokerev. I can remember when some guy from another country hit Butchy head on and totaled his truck and ended his working career. Butch got a big settlement and bought two more Tokerevs and $10,000 worth of them go fast bottle neck 30 caliber military rounds that he preferred to shoot stuff with. Now I would not trade this cheap EAA for a pile of the those Tokerevs. It just goes to show that beauty is in the eye of the beerholder or something like that. Butch never shot competition...he had nothing to prove to anyone but mostly he just did not like people. He is the best shot with a handgun that I have ever seen bar none........and he did it with a dang Tokerev. He had his own shooting bench at my range and for several years after his accident you could drive by that range any time of day and expect to see Butch sitting at that bench sending rounds down range. I doubt if anyone even Butch picked up a Tokerev for the first time and said man this thing is sweet. Yet a drawer full of warn out Tokerevs later and who knows how many rounds later He insists they are sweetest shooting hammer gun ever made. This is not the first one of these EAAs that I have ever owned and though I have not mastered it like Butch did his Tokes. I have become very comfortable with them and very confident in my ability with one and that is the bottom line concerning any handgunner with any given handgun.

    I can remember my astonishment on this forum back 10 years ago or so when I first started shooting an EAA and liked it. I sheepishly asked what folk thought about the EAA Witness and could not believe that ADFields gave them very high praise. I also got several private messages from forum dignitaries reaping praise on the Witness....we are 10 years later now and Old Butchy's health is badly failing but there is quite an accumulation of 9mm brass where his Tokerev brass used to fall. He doesn't mind that I have patched up his bench and am using the heck out of it. However he did offer to loan me one of his Tokerevs and a tin of ammo. When I declined he said "hey they grow on ya...they did me." I said"ya think?"
    That's why I own 3 toks. They grow on you.

    one day closer to alaska.
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

    Edwin Hubble

  18. #18
    Member Libertine's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Murder Capitol, AK
    Posts
    185

    Default

    +1 on the Tokarev.


    Fun guns to shoot and a great value for the money. I prefer the Polish TTC because of the good fit and finish.


    Those of you who stocked up on cheap surplus tins of 7.62 X 25, take a bow. That milsurp ammo is hard to find, and very spendy nowadays.

  19. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
    +1 on the Tokarev.


    Fun guns to shoot and a great value for the money. I prefer the Polish TTC because of the good fit and finish.


    Those of you who stocked up on cheap surplus tins of 7.62 X 25, take a bow. That milsurp ammo is hard to find, and very spendy nowadays.
    Butch still has a pile of ammo and has been offered todays prices for it but won't sell. Butch told me that he doesn't shoot much these days just enough to brush up now and again. He also says the two Tokes he has left are among the best but without that pallet of ammo they may as well be a hammer. He makes a good point. I don't know how much of that pile is 7.62x25 and how much is SKS ammo. SKS is his other favorite. There are probably 50 of those "ham" cans full of ammo and there are different shapes and sizes. Just one old man's stash.

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Eureka MT
    Posts
    3,048

    Default

    I have 2 Toks, a 9mm Chicom that I don't care for all that much and a 1939 T33 that dad brought back from WWII. I reload for the 7.62x25 and use a home made 85gr jacketed SWC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •