Thread: Homer to Iniskin Bay

Default Homer to Iniskin Bay

I was wondering if anybody has gone from Homer or Deep Creek to Iniskin Bay or Iliamna Bay area? Is it a doable trip or just a pipe dream? I suppose a person wouldnt want to attempt it on big swinger tides...

I have been to Chinita bay just North of there, it was a good run from Deep Creek but nothing bad. Watch the weather and all that but quite doable.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    I have been to Chinita bay just North of there, it was a good run from Deep Creek but nothing bad. Watch the weather and all that but quite doable.
    Alright, thanks. I just hear all these stories about cook inlet but I think the really bad water starts around Kalgin Island...

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    I made this same trip in 2008 in my old 22 Seasport. Very doable. JR2 were you bear hunting? We chased them for a week there in May. Not much fun anchoring in that mud pit.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

No we went over in late August to chase silvers in a couple rivers. Also did some exploration for halibut spots for the guide who owned the boats. Lots of beats over there though. Every brach had grizzly tracks all over them.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

I have gone from Kenai around Kalgin to Redoubt Point for commercial fishing (did this in a 25' wood skiff) Then went down to Chinitna Bay. Camped on the beach in an Army tent while we fished herring. Have done this several times.
    There are rips out there that can be a huge problem. I was warned by one of the guys I went with the first time, that I would see 'Viking Ship Water' over there. He was right. We got in a rip on a calm day right at dusk near Tuxidna Bay. I thought we were done for. After battling through it, came out to calm seas again.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Quote Originally Posted by roybekks View Post
    I was wondering if anybody has gone from Homer or Deep Creek to Iniskin Bay or Iliamna Bay area? Is it a doable trip or just a pipe dream? I suppose a person wouldnt want to attempt it on big swinger tides...
    I've done the trip from Kenai to Iliamna/Iniskin bays once, and from Homer across 4 different times. Your success (and comfort) depends totally on sea conditions and what size/speed of boat you're in. Be aware that there are few good hidey-holes in the immediate area if things go sideways, and the big tides make it hard to get up into the most protected coves unless you have a boat you don't mind going dry.

FYI there was a shipwreck on Black Reef (close to Iliamna Bay) in 1910 where the passengers and crew were stranded on the beach for a month in January. Google <Farallon shipwreck Alaska> for info. The BBC filmed a documentary there about 15 years ago, which is on YouTube. Search <ray mears survival alaska> and jump ahead to about the 22:30 mark for the Farallon segment.
    "Money may not buy you happiness, but it will buy you a big enough boat that you can get close enough for a look."

Used to gillnet cook inlet and after 30 years fishing in Hawaii, here, the South Pacific, the worst I've ever seen is the middle rip. Flat calm either side and breaking 8-10' in the rip but holy crap did we kill the reds in there!!!!!!
    Just plan accordingly, have a life raft or inflatable and handheld radios etc. bigger boats obviously more comfy but I do the trip often early & late season clam trips with my 24' Hewes.
    It's not to be taken lightly but just exercise all the normal prep and caution like anywhere else.
    Check out Quickwater Adventure water taxi/transport services: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Quick...37553606260978

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim View Post
    Used to gillnet cook inlet and after 30 years fishing in Hawaii, here, the South Pacific, the worst I've ever seen is the middle rip. Flat calm either side and breaking 8-10' in the rip but holy crap did we kill the reds in there!!!!!!
    Just plan accordingly, have a life raft or inflatable and handheld radios etc. bigger boats obviously more comfy but I do the trip often early & late season clam trips with my 24' Hewes.
    It's not to be taken lightly but just exercise all the normal prep and caution like anywhere else.
    I call bs on this. Yes, the middle rip can be bad, but flat calm with 8-10 footers in the rip is bogus.

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim View Post

Where are the rips occurring? Same places as shown on the charts? Any way to avoid them going into Poly Creek?

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    Where are the rips occurring? Same places as shown on the charts? Any way to avoid them going into Poly Creek?
    Look for the depth changes on your chart plotter, that's basically where you cross the rips. They pretty much run the length of the inlet. Obviously, the bigger the tide, the faster the water moves in the rips, but even then, on a calm day, you are not going to see 8-10 foot breaking waves. The biggest problem I have with the rips is trying to find an opening through the sticks and logs.

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Quote Originally Posted by roybekks View Post
    Send me a pm with specific questions, I've been there several times both from deep Creek and Homer.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Hoss I don't have a degree in mathematics but I'm 5'11' and that day working the deck there were standing waves way over our heads by at least 2'. My pal had to get up on the flying bridge on a 34' Ohima to see where the logs and debris where as we had the net out a bit. Like I said I've been fishing A few places around the world and also surfing for 26 years on the north shore of Kauai. I might know something about big waves. Any time you'd like to paddle out with me on a big day, let's go I'll make sure you get in safely.
    Check out Quickwater Adventure water taxi/transport services: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Quick...37553606260978