Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tipped bullets?

Default Tipped bullets?

Any one have any good, bad,, or ugly results or experiences? Other then taking up space in the magazine and looking cool to some, what good are they? Are they supposed to make a bullet have a flatter trajectory and/or expand better? Any one ever have a tip break off in a magazine? I read that they melt in flight. How that was filmed is beyond me.

I know Barnes and a few others sells tipped bullets. I have never had an expansion issue with Barnes X bullets, but I rarely shoot past 200 yards. As far as trajectory goes, I think they have about as much real world big game hunting benefits as boat tail bullets.

So if any one has good info and experiences with them I would like to hear it.

I agree with you. Might be something there at mortar range, but probably don't need it for hunting. They do look cool.

Cool looking bullets = increased sales and elevated profit margin.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

If you're talking the plastic tipped bullets such as the old Nosler Ballistic Tips, I've used them a lot over the last however many years they've been around.... 30 years?.... 40 years. Got nothing against them other than they seem to open even easier than some cup and core bullets. That would be a real plus at longer than long ranges where expansion is a problem, but up close you kinda have to allow for it.

I picked up a whole bunch of 25 cal and 7mm versions years ago from a store going out of business. Just about ideal performance in standard loaded 250 Savage and 257 Roberts, but tender in the 257 Improved or 25-06. Same comparison in 7mm. Dandy in 7x57 and 7-08, getting toward the tender side at full velocity in 280/284/7mag when you're inside about 150 yards. Heard much the same for 30-06.

If you're talking something else, I'm blowing smoke. Never heard such a thing as them melting in flight. Sounds like the hiny wiping of another internet expert to me.

I'm looking at the .30 caliber 168 grain Tipped Triple Shock Boat Tail and the same Barnes X bullet with out the tip. The tipped one is a little longer as expected. The length from the back of the bullet before the first groove is also longer on the tipped bullet vs the regular bullet and the tipped bullet looks as though it has a bigger area on front if the tip was removed.

So maybe that would be a good thing for a Barnes X if one was shooting into the next zip code and expansion may be and issue, ya got me. As far as much of an effect on weight retention or penetration on a Barnes X I doubt it would be more then a very few grains and not make much difference up close as they retain so much weight.

I have experience with Nosler Partitions and Barnes X bullets, about 30 years with the X bullet and over 40 with the Partition. Bullets and how they perform on what ever was shot has always interested me. Alaska is the only place I have hunted big game and almost all of my big game bullet use has been .30 or .338 caliber with the Partition and X bullet. So compared to many I have limited experience with a bunch of different bullet types.

Sounds like you're asking the right questions. The only experience I've had with Barnes is their originals. When they quit making those, I followed the technology to Hawk bullets. My experience with "mono-metal" bullets is limited to the ancient Nosler Zipedos in 22 and 26 caliber, which most certainly dates me. But that experience was so marginal, I've been leery of them ever since. I'm missing something without a doubt, but like you, long and positive history with Partitions and other lead cores has left me in the dark on the various monos.

I also recently had heard that the polymer tips melt and/or disintegrate in flight; however, I have nothing to substantiate that. If that is the case, it seems like it would affect trajectory and expansion. Anyhow, for my rifle, I can't get the Accubonds or E-Tips to group no matter what I try. The old NP's still get it done though so I stick with what works.

Hint: spacecraft, ballistic missiles, super-sonic aircraft, and small arms projectiles not intended for sale to joe six-pack, do NOT have nose cones composed of pretty colored plastic.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    Any one have any good, bad,, or ugly results or experiences? Other then taking up space in the magazine and looking cool to some, what good are they? Are they supposed to make a bullet have a flatter trajectory and/or expand better? Any one ever have a tip break off in a magazine? I read that they melt in flight. How that was filmed is beyond me.

I know Barnes and a few others sells tipped bullets. I have never had an expansion issue with Barnes X bullets, but I rarely shoot past 200 yards. As far as trajectory goes, I think they have about as much real world big game hunting benefits as boat tail bullets.

So if any one has good info and experiences with them I would like to hear it.
    http://m.hornady.com/store/ELD-X

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Any one have any good, bad,, or ugly results or experiences? Other then taking up space in the magazine and looking cool to some, what good are they? Are they supposed to make a bullet have a flatter trajectory and/or expand better? Any one ever have a tip break off in a magazine? I read that they melt in flight. How that was filmed is beyond me. .
    I've been using Accubonds for years and years with great results, I don't think the plastic tip is an earth shattering component...probably takes a couple inches off the drop at 400 yards or something. Never lost one in the magazine or battered it into deformity.

The tip on the Barnes TTSX is supposed to help initiate expansion at lower velocities- I don't shoot Barnes much, so I don't know if it's true or not.

I think the whole "melting in flight" thing is completely a marketing bit by Hornady. I don't care if the tips melt off at 500 yds...if I can hit a broadside critter at 300yds its a moot point to me.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I'm with Hodgeman, the plastic tip probably helps the BC and Hornady did find their tips were melting by measuring their bullets in flight using Doppler Radar. Their calculated BC didn't match the actual flight characteristics of the bullet. So, they figured the tips must be melting causing a drop in BC. I think it may be an issue for long range shooting but not within typical hunting distances. Still, I use Barnes TTSXs in all my rifles and calibers except 30-30. I think they may help ensure expansion but of course I can't prove it.

Through poor planning I ended up with a box of Barnes X tipped .308 caliber 168 grain bullets and a box with out tips. They are shaped a little different and I can see where the tipped one has a bigger nose if the tip was removed. So in theory it should expand quicker if the rest of the bullet is the same.

I doubt me or any Alaskan critter will know the difference once the shooting is over. Every one has their own idea on how a bullet should perform and it is a tough market and lots of advertising goes into it. If I was lung shooting deer every year I would not use the Barnes X, maybe a Nosler Partition though.

My wife and me are hunting moose and caribou together this year and unless I can find the .243 Win. or 7-08 I want she will be using my beautiful old Pre-64 Mod. 70 Featherweight 30-06 on her caribou. I expect a pass through with either bullet and she won't be shooting over 200 yards.

Based upon my experience the 168 grain Barnes X .308 bullet at over 2,800 fps mv should penetrate about like my old 200 grain Nosler partition load at 2,600 fps mv and retain more weight while doing it. Then again I doubt we will ever shoot enough critters to prove it.

I have never had less than stellar performance with non magnum rounds like 243, 270, 30-06/308 on deer sized game with the old cup and core bullets. Remington Core Lockts might be my favorite. I really like Nosler Ballistic Tips and Hornady V-Max for fox/coyotes out to as far as I can hit them. They seem to produce good results out to 400 yards or so if I can get them to land on the critter.

I have solved my dilemma and managed to sell my tipped bullets. They would probably have worked fine, but I am old fashioned. But, I am embarrassed to admit I now have 3 box's of 168 grain Barnes XTS Boat Tail bullets. I know the boat tail will not be a deciding factor on any gut pile i make. The best thing for me to do is stick them in a case as soon as possible so no one sees them.

If I had bought some .30 caliber 165 grain flat base Triple Shocks I could of avoided all this. At my age I hate admitting I fell victim to some marketing hype.

I have solved my dilemma and managed to sell my tipped bullets. They would probably have worked fine, but I am old fashioned. But, I am embarrassed to admit I now have 3 box's of 168 grain Barnes XTS Boat Tail bullets. I know the boat tail will not be a deciding factor on any gut pile i make. The best thing for me to do is stick them in a case as soon as possible so no one sees them.

If I had bought some .30 caliber 165 grain flat base Triple Shocks I could of avoided all this. At my age I hate admitting I fell victim to some marketing hype.
    Your kidding! Marketing hype? Even I know that boattails add maybe 3 or 4 fps increase in velocity at 500 yards. They are more airodynamical and if the critters know your using boattails they just flat give up and won't even run most of the time.

I remember when fps was the first numbers and only numbers that I could see in my reloading manual. Eventually as I started growing whiskers I learned that landing the bullet in a sweet spot was way more reportant than getting that bullet there a nanosecond faster. Bullets shaped like footballs, for love of...................................

I heard tell that Hornady is going to start making bullets with points on both ends.......so the next generation can't load them backwards.

They may have a slight advantage of not being distorted, or seated deeper, when carried in a rifle magazine from the recoil of fired rounds, or when carried in a pocket. I have shot a few boxes of different brands and have seen a couple tips come off in a pocket though so ???? I like them in my Marlin 4570 XLR in the Hornady Leverloution rounds as they add a bit of safety in the tubular magazine when stacked end to end...
    None of the bears or deer I have shot with them seemed any deader though!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

One thing I've noticed with the lead tipped bullets like the core lokt is the tips take a beating in my .300. I've used the tipped partitions and they worked great. I'm currently loading the TSX FB and am getting good results but nothing like folks talk about... But it's a work in progress.

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    Your kidding! Marketing hype? Even I know that boattails add maybe 3 or 4 fps increase in velocity at 500 yards. They are more airodynamical and if the critters know your using boattails they just flat give up and won't even run most of the time.

I remember when fps was the first numbers and only numbers that I could see in my reloading manual. Eventually as I started growing whiskers I learned that landing the bullet in a sweet spot was way more reportant than getting that bullet there a nanosecond faster. Bullets shaped like footballs, for love of...................................

I heard tell that Hornady is going to start making bullets with points on both ends.......so the next generation can't load them backwards.
    Hear, Hear!

What's needed, for 500 yards shots, is a Flatnose, BT Nosler Partition bullet for 30-30.

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

Funny little side story, but about the old Remington Bronze Points rather than plastic. Makes me kinda like the idea of having that plastic in there floating around:

Relative of mine was hunting in a state with lots of other hunters and clanked a nice mulie with his 270 launching Bronze Points. Heard another shot and a coupla yahoos showed up a few moments later while he was he was starting to dress it. Claimed it was their deer. He kept on dressing and listening to them yammer and threaten. Somehow he located that little bronze wedge and showed it to them. He said "Show me your Bronze Point Ammo or leave." They left.

Yentlemen:

Considering, that all the game animals I ever bagged should make only one load in my pickumup truck, I don't have a huge personal data base with which to support my conclusions.

Howsomever, I still gott'em.

I figger that this preoccupation, obsession, fixation, and the like, with these so-called PREMIUM bullets is misplaced.

I can see using a Nosler Partition, or perhaps some other controlled expansion bullet in a high velocity magnum, or for a very light for caliber bullet at high velocity.

But, for a standard cartridge, I'm pretty sure a C&C like Corlokt, Speer, Hornady, Sierra, of proper weight would be a better choice.

I like "protected tips" and these plastic tips could help there. They look to be more streamlined, and that can't hurt, but that may be the extent of their usefulness.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast