Thread: Peninsula hike ideas

Default Peninsula hike ideas

Looking to do a family oriented hike in the next couple of weeks for our church. What trails would be good to do right now for a rather wide range of people? Would Russian Falls trail be passable enough? Any other ideas?

March thru October, Kenai Peninsula Alaska. I'm laid off and winter in Northern MN.

Russian River Falls should be good. I hiked it on Saturday March 26th. There was Ice in some spots but not too bad the. I'm sure it will be mostly Ice free by this coming weekend. If you have older people in your group they might want to consider wearing ice cleats, I'm guessing there will still be some ice on the trail.

I also hiked up to Lower Fuller Lakes last weekend. That trail is steep and the last 1/2 mile is a couple feet of snow, and one could post hole if the temps warm up. I would only take physically capable persons on that hike.
    May the rivers be crooked and winding, and the portages lonesome, leading to the most "Amazing View".

GULL Rock trail is in good condition, with zero ice or snow. It is nice flat trail, kind'a boring for my taste, but good for a large group with a wide range of ability. Has good parking, and free over night camping till the campground opens.

Most Skilak Loop hikes seem to be in good shape.

http://www.fws.gov/refuge/Kenai/map.html

Bear Mtn, Hidden Creek, Skilak Overlook, and 7 Lakes Trail are all in good shape in the last couple weeks. Hiking boots work, or extra tuffs if you mind the occasional muddy step.

No bear sightings so far. The 4yo and 1.5yo bear bells are VERY effective :-)