Thread: Lucky me! Relocating to Haines. Need pointers.

Default Lucky me! Relocating to Haines. Need pointers.

Well, the stars have aligned for me to pack my wife and kids up and move down to Haines before the end of May. I'll be there at least 3 years for work and I'm super excited. My boss has said he will let me borrow his skiff so I have a boat that I can occasionally use but he's a little too busy to show me around that much. I'd like to know who else on here is located in Haines or Skagway and I'd like to learn the lay of the land, since I'd never even visited Southeast until 2 weeks ago. My basic questions:

1.) Kid friendly fishing. Where are good spots for kids (ages 1-7) to get in on the action? What species are available near town?
    2.) Salmon methods. I see that dipnetting is allowed under the subsistence methods there. I'm used to dipping the Kenai each summer. Does anyone actually do that or is gillnetting the way to go? How much does a gillnet setup cost?
    3.) Shore fishing. Is it possible to catch rockfish or anything else by surfcasting?
    4.) Crabbing. How easy is it to catch Dungies or Tanner near town?
    5.) Gear availability. Is gear super expensive down there? Should I load up on gear up here before I come down there? If so, what would you recommend.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

That is awesome! I don't have any experience to offer, but congratulations on the upcoming adventure! I love where I'm at, but man, there's just something about Southeast...

Oh, and if you need someone to go check up on that moose from last fall for you, I know a guy...

1 chilkoot & chilkat river drainages....both have dollys & salmon
    2 no dipnetting unless things have changed recently.....you can subsistence gillnet in river & ocean tho....check regs
    3 yes...altho mostly irish lords & such...never seen much for black rockfish up there
    4 rings & pots.....tanners are mostly bitter
    5 Oleruds Sport Shop......Douglass has good prices considering everything, why not support local if its within reason, I just got a bunch of ammo from him fwiw

what kind of work you doing??

I've done well trolling for kings there.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Oh, and if you need someone to go check up on that moose from last fall for you, I know a guy...
    ....or two.......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Be sure and familiarize yourself with the regs. I think the kings are in trouble up there and massive cuts were taken.

Quote Originally Posted by excav8tr View Post
    1 chilkoot & chilkat river drainages....both have dollys & salmon
    2 no dipnetting unless things have changed recently.....you can subsistence gillnet in river & ocean tho....check regs
    3 yes...altho mostly irish lords & such...never seen much for black rockfish up there
    4 rings & pots.....tanners are mostly bitter
    5 Oleruds Sport Shop......Douglass has good prices considering everything, why not support local if its within reason, I just got a bunch of ammo from him fwiw

what kind of work you doing??
    I'll be doing civil engineering. I'm all for buying local as long as prices are reasonable. Thanks for the info. What do you mean that tanners are bitter?

Also, 4mer and Brian, I've got a 350 grain slug with that moose's name etched on it for this year. I have the unit 13 caribou tag so I'll be making the long drive back to punch a hole through his heart and hopefully a nice caribou.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

What 270ti said...new Haines Salmon regs came out yesterday...not good news.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/sf/EONR/i...n.NR&NRID=2218

On the shore fishing: use Google earth or other maps, Chart 17317, the Navionics charts, local intel and you should be able to find enough nice spots to have your kids wet a line and pull in fish. Might have to wade through the sculpins ( but they taste good, too) to find some Northern Sole, P-cod and some shallow water rockfish like Coppers and Quillbacks now and then.

chart link - http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/17317.shtml

There is a kayak rental there. If you don't have one or two, that would be something to look at.

best of luck with the move and transfer.

As others have mentioned, they're clamping down pretty tight on the King Salmon fishery in Haines. In the Fall, you should have some pretty incredible freshwater river fishing opportunities for Coho. There's videos on youtube of guys catching Coho's with Kwikfish, spinners, and fly rods in the rivers.

I know there's a Sockeye personal-use fishery in Haines. You can use dip nets and throw nets. You'll have to talk to the locals or do your own research on that though.

Quote Originally Posted by highestview View Post
    ... What do you mean that tanners are bitter?
    I just heard about it on the radio today: Bitter Crab Syndrome

Edit: the radio report was talking about overall harvest and that about 11% of the tanner crab harvested had bitter disease. That may mean some of the tanners around Haines are still edible.
    Edit: Here's what was on the radio: http://www.kfsk.org/2016/03/31/south...den-king-slow/