Thread: Baranof Island Brown Bear Hunt

Question Baranof Island Brown Bear Hunt

I've got the opportunity to book my first Brown Bear hunt in Fall 2017 off of Baranof Island (Unit 4)...doing a Boat hunt. I've heard there are lots of Brown Bears but the size tend to be smaller than a more northern coastal bear, is their any truth to this? I'd like to get some feedback on the hunting in this area. Thank you!

Because of genetics, the average adult male brown bear in GMU 4 is somewhat smaller in both skull and body, than say for instance, an average adult male brown bear in GMU 9.

They are commonly referred to as "shiras" brown bears due to there smaller average size. I think grizzly are prettier if I'm
    Gonna shoot something under 9'.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I've observed many SE Alaska brown bear, and seen and been involved with lots of GMU9 brown bear hunts. And yes, in general brown bears in SE are smaller, however, that being said, that doesn't mean there is anything less desirable about a SE brown bear hunt and hopefully trophy.

It's kind of like comparing a Columbia Blacktail and a Sitka Blacktail. Sure, the Sitka is smaller on average, but so what, they're different deer, hunted in different habitats.

One thing about a boat hunt in SE is that it can be one of the most aesthetically appealing hunts on earth imo.

Thanks for the information everyone ... to be honest as much as I would love to be able to get a larger sized Brown Bear, I'm just thrilled to be able to experience the adventure with my Dad. It's something we have been thinking about for a few years. Next on my list is a Sheep hunt

all bears are fun...small ones too!!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

NOT......so much when they are on top of you, that takes the "FUN" out real quick.

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    all bears are fun..!

What BRWNBR said.

Also, remember the smaller the animal the smaller the target, so one must be a better marksman in order to place their shot in a smaller area. I must be a heck of a shot as I have shot many small moose and caribou!