Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bears PWS?

Default Bears PWS?

Anyone been out on the sound looking for bears yet was thinkin about makin a run out there this weekend? Seen some pictures on the fishing thread looked like the snow line was quite a ways up from the shoreline.

I am planning on chasing them Apr 9-10.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    I am planning on chasing them Apr 9-10.
    Can I hitch a ride please!

I would be pretty surprised if you ran across one. But always worth keeping your eye out for one. I will be out for a break in on the new boat 8,9,10th also. Still about a month away before I plan on starting to see any movement.

I am planning on going next weekend if clear skies and sun are in the forecast. Would not suprise me to find them up and moving a bit early.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

I'm sure you all know but remember this year it's now a registration hunt out there so make sure all your paperwork is in line. Good luck out there I should be headed out the first week of May for some shrimp and bears.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    I am planning on going next weekend if clear skies and sun are in the forecast. Would not suprise me to find them up and moving a bit early.
    We plan on being in Eaglek. Scout some bears and get some black rock fish. Finding a bear is not the point of bear hunting! Its just the cherry after a long winter of being a land lubber

Quote Originally Posted by Tyin 1 On View Post
    I would be pretty surprised if you ran across one. But always worth keeping your eye out for one. I will be out for a break in on the new boat 8,9,10th also. Still about a month away before I plan on starting to see any movement.
    In a normal year I would agree. This is warmer spring than last year, with less snow andwe saw them 20 April.

I agree with your thoughts on it being a warmer winter that maybe the bears might be out early, as I thought the same thing over the last 2 easy winters we had out there. There looks to actually be more snow this year than last year. I have not looked at the actual numbers of snowfall but last year was really poor in the snow conditions. Even tho it was warm last year and not much snow the bears did not seem to care and still started to show at the normal times as any other year. Just my previous years of experience out in the sound, I would prefer a heavier snow year than what we have had the last couple years and I believe this is why the bear numbers are way down.

Snowfall so far this year is about 183" compared to 124" last year in Whittier. Looks like its gonna be another tough year of bear hunting. Good luck to all and hope some good numbers come out of the sound or may be in for some more restrictions next year.

Well I thought it opened on the 15th with baiting but I see it is now listed as open from Sept-June with no breaks. I don't remember it being that way. must of changes when it went to a reg. hunt.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Been that way for at least three or four years, probably longer.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Anyone have any luck hunting bears out on the sound this weekend?

Default Snow

Quote Originally Posted by Tyin 1 On View Post
    Snowfall so far this year is about 183" compared to 124" last year in Whittier. Looks like its gonna be another tough year of bear hunting. Good luck to all and hope some good numbers come out of the sound or may be in for some more restrictions next year.
    I'm not sure I can agree with that. If they had 183", the rain must have washed it all away. I work over here in the Sound and I've never seen it this lean for snow in my 20 years. Storey Island is clear of snow. Perry has just a bit on top. Esther is almost bare. Even in Valdez Arm it's half way up the mountains. On the eastern side of the sound....Hawkins is almost snowless. I'd say the bears must be out since the ADN is showing pics of bears out in Turnagain Arm. Good luck and good shrimping to you all.

I agree with HomerAdam. Maybe 183" total snowfall but check out the Naked Island webcam Not a bit of snow left out there now.Naked Island Webcam
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

That's what I was thinking I've been watching the weather in Whittier and it's been in the 50s most days and rain that will knock the snow down in a hurry.

Nothing to see here, move along. Tons of snow in PWS. Yogi won't be out until 3rd week of May. Also, no shrimp in the sound either, everyone should boat hunt out of Homer and Seward, PWS is barren I tell ya.

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    Nothing to see here, move along. Tons of snow in PWS. Yogi won't be out until 3rd week of May. Also, no shrimp in the sound either, everyone should boat hunt out of Homer and Seward, PWS is barren I tell ya.
    There is a freak storm heading towards PWS currently. Snowfall accumulation is expected to be 4-5 feet.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Don't have to agree, as this is Whittier numbers not sound numbers. I was just out there for a few days and there is once again no snow down low. Bears will be out soon once the timer goes off they just wont need to come down low.

Let me change that comment, I was just out in the sound for 3 days and saw a bear on every beach there was green grass. Must od saw 300+ bears in Port Wells to San Juan. Everyone pack up the boat and get out there ASAP!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast