Thread: Murphy

Default Murphy

Has anybody heard from Murphy in a while? I tried reaching out to him with a PM, but he can't receive PM's because his inbox if full. He helped me before while considering a trip to Africa, and I'd like more help from him as I plan a safari for next year.

I'm trying this forum since this was his most frequented area.

Thanks in advance,
    Mike

[QUOTE=HuntKodiak;1533946]Has anybody heard from Murphy in a while? I tried reaching out to him with a PM, but he can't receive PM's because his inbox if full. He helped me before while considering a trip to Africa, and I'd like more help from him as I plan a safari for next year.

I'm trying this forum since this was his most frequented area.

Thanks in advance, Mike(Quote):

I used to have his phone number and talked to him now and again. I even stopped by his new residence in hillbilly country Missouri on the way by on a hog killing trip.

The man is a wealth of knowledge in regards to all things shooting. He has stopped by on this forum a few times to say he's back and then we don't hear from him again.

I imagine he is holed up down there in southern Missouri amongst the deer 'n turkeys with his horses. He probably comes out when he gets the urge to hunt something else. Other than that he may have figured it's best to let this screwed up world pass him by....I'm guessing.

I certainly hope he has a long happy retirement!

I can't speak for him of course, but as someone who appreciated all he knew and all he gave here, I got really fed up listening to dipspits in the peanut gallery trying to dispute him. Only happened once in a while, but I noticed that every time it did, he'd disappear for a week or two.

If he was 10% as fed up with that as I was in seeing it, in his shoes I'd leave them to pound sand while I went off to use and enjoy my knowledge. Big loss for the rest of us if that's the case.

Default dipsits..

Murphy had a lot of good knowledge and experience to share, but on some topics like temperature measurement he was clueless. I tried to explain and help him understand some errors, but unfortunately he totally bowed up and refuse to listen to anyone about anything - he thought he was the absolute authority never to be questioned about anything from anyone regardless of their experience and knowledge.

A real shame - he and us could have all learned a lot from each other - and ALL of us still have a lot to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    I can't speak for him of course, but as someone who appreciated all he knew and all he gave here, I got really fed up listening to dipspits in the peanut gallery trying to dispute him. Only happened once in a while, but I noticed that every time it did, he'd disappear for a week or two.

If he was 10% as fed up with that as I was in seeing it, in his shoes I'd leave them to pound sand while I went off to use and enjoy my knowledge. Big loss for the rest of us if that's the case.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Okay, I'll bite... what are your thoughts on "temperature measurement"?

Well Marc, for me any time it is over 70 degrees it is to darn hot and 50 is about right if I am splitting fire wood. You still located in the same place?

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    Well Marc, for me any time it is over 70 degrees it is to darn hot and 50 is about right if I am splitting fire wood. You still located in the same place?
    It's an interesting subject, with no real information, as far as I know.

Loads that are on the Ragged Edge as far as pressure is concerned, can be dangerous if they're heated up. I've heard that Weatherby FLs in Africa have, at least in the past, been problematic.

I'm sure there are others, and of course Handloads. All we have is "don't develop hot loads in cool weather, and use'em in hot weather. OR, use a Powder that isn't Temperature Sensitive.

Maybe, there isn't any practical way to predict problems, but a little more information than what is common might be helpful.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    - he thought he was the absolute authority never to be questioned about anything from anyone regardless of their experience and knowledge.
    Sometimes, people get that way. You can see in on the Job, but there seems to be something about Guns that effects people, in that regard. I've seen it with people who work at gun counters, those who hand load, and folks who just have something to sell.

I think they've somehow gotten to the point where they no longer Enjoy guns, shooting etc., so they come across as impatient and arrogant. to someone who is still interested.

????
    Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Default optical?

About the only option generally available to measure a hot momentary flame directly is optical. This is done routinely with furnaces, boilers, molten metal etc. The temperature is measured from the wave lengths of light. You see a similar thing heating steel - red, yellows, white etc. as the steel gets hotter. The temperature of stars etc. is measured the same way - by the light emitted.

In the case of a rifle barrel or chamber we would need a high pressure window of some sort - perhaps make a barrel or window out of fused quartz or similar. A fiber optical strand should also work; perhaps it could be fused in a small hole in the barrel? Someone should have done this already; I'll have to do some research.

Trying the measure the temperature on the outside of barrel is totally wrong. Sorry I pisssed him off but I had to call Murphy on that one.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Sometimes, people get that way. You can see in on the Job, but there seems to be something about Guns that effects people, in that regard. I've seen it with people who work at gun counters, those who hand load, and folks who just have something to sell.

I think they've somehow gotten to the point where they no longer Enjoy guns, shooting etc., so they come across as impatient and arrogant. to someone who is still interested.

????
    Smitty of the North
    "No longer enjoy guns"? Smitty if I ever get that way would just tie me to the railroad tracks or go find me a modern day Jack Kavorkian cuz it'll be time to cross over!

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    About the only option generally available to measure a hot momentary flame directly is optical. This is done routinely with furnaces, boilers, molten metal etc. The temperature is measured from the wave lengths of light. You see a similar thing heating steel - red, yellows, white etc. as the steel gets hotter. The temperature of stars etc. is measured the same way - by the light emitted.

In the case of a rifle barrel or chamber we would need a high pressure window of some sort - perhaps make a barrel or window out of fused quartz or similar. A fiber optical strand should also work; perhaps it could be fused in a small hole in the barrel? Someone should have done this already; I'll have to do some research.

Trying the measure the temperature on the outside of barrel is totally wrong. Sorry I pisssed him off but I had to call Murphy on that one.
    This is wayyy over my haid,,of course.

What is to be gained by knowing the chamber temp? I'm not sayin there's nothing to be gained.

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

I can only say that from my personal experience in dealing with Murphy face to face, he only speaks of factual information that he has personal knowledge of, and to the best of my knowledge, does not guess at facts. He is knowledgeable in most basic physics, especially ballistics. He likes math, and can figure most math problems on paper with a pencil and his brain. If you doubt his comments on temperature, you probably have not worked in a ballistics lab. He would only comment on such a thing if he had personal knowledge of the facts.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

I greatly appreciated and valued Murphy's presence and generous contributions to this forum when he moderated in past years. I learned a lot from him, and I enjoyed meeting him in person when he lived in Fairbanks. I do miss his presence here, but I suspect and hope that he is spending time doing what he wants to be doing with people he wants to have around him as opposed to dealing with everyone connected to the internet. I wish him well in life.

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    Yup. Same place. For now.

Murphy never showed any arrogance to me. He was very helpful on several projects, even when I asked dumb questions. He could have pinned my ears back on topics on which he was much the wiser than I but was always gracious to me.

I have learned lots from folk on this forum. ADFields is a wealth of knowledge and I have missed his interaction. Smitty opened my eyes to the wonderful .284 bore which is more user friendly than my old stand by 270. However I have killed so much game with the 270 that I get a bit lathered when people diss it.

I reckon we all have our vulnerable moments.....I know I do!

Default experience..

I've been working with measuring temperature inside pipes and other pressure containments for over 45 years including some very high pressure and temperature applications. Trying to determine a very short duration high peak temperature inside a thick walled small bore pipe at ambient temperature - i.e. a gun barrel - by measuring the temperature on the outside is nonsense. Murphy should have known better; everyone else in business of measuring temperature recognizes it can't be done accurately

If I recall correctly, the discussion started around the subject of gas checks. Murphy said the purpose of the gas check was to keep the base of the bullet from melting from the high temperature of the powder burning. When I pointed out that I had never seen a plain base bullet with any signs of a melted base he got ticked that I had questioned his wisdom. I also pointed out that on paper patched bullets the paper isn't even scorched on the base. From then on it went downhill.

In any event I wish him well. He was a very interesting contributor to the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    I can only say that from my personal experience in dealing with Murphy face to face, he only speaks of factual information that he has personal knowledge of, and to the best of my knowledge, does not guess at facts. He is knowledgeable in most basic physics, especially ballistics. He likes math, and can figure most math problems on paper with a pencil and his brain. If you doubt his comments on temperature, you probably have not worked in a ballistics lab. He would only comment on such a thing if he had personal knowledge of the facts.

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    Murphy never showed any arrogance to me. He was very helpful on several projects, even when I asked dumb questions. He could have pinned my ears back on topics on which he was much the wiser than I but was always gracious to me.

I have learned lots from folk on this forum. ADFields is a wealth of knowledge and I have missed his interaction. Smitty opened my eyes to the wonderful .284 bore which is more user friendly than my old stand by 270. However I have killed so much game with the 270 that I get a bit lathered when people diss it.

I reckon we all have our vulnerable moments.....I know I do!
    It's true that I diss the 270, and a LOT of other things.

BUT, it's all in fun. You're supposed to take issue, which provokes discussion.

I read a great deal of what JOC wrote, back when he was writin it. At least a couple of times in his writing he mentioned a friend with a 280 load, that delivered 3,000 fps with a 140 grain bullet.

This made me feel good because I had a 280 and used 140 grain Nosler Partitions.

JOC and EK were real gun writers in the sense that they didn't mince words. They said lots of harsh things about the other one's choices, and folks, including me, ate it up.

I am not touchy about what people say about my cartridges, guns, etc. and especially not if there is some humor involved.

I worked with a guy who said that my 30-30 was so slow, that he could shoot my bullets out of the air with his 223. He kept that going for quite awhile.

Another guy shot a moose with his BAR 300 Win Mag. He shot it in the neck and for some reason he got the idea that the neck was really tuff. He wondered if a 30 - 30 would have even penetrated the neck. AND he was SERIOUS.

No doubt, having had the idea the 30 - 30 was deficient, planted in his mind by the other guys joking. I did get back at them, but the story is convoluted.

There is a tremendous number of big game cartridges to choose from, and I wouldn't be terribly surprised if every one of them worked just fine. ( Cept, maybe the 270. )

I apologize if I've offended you, or anyone with my propensity to focus on what I perceive to be shortcomings. Don't get mad and leave. This forum would only be half as interesting without you.

Smiddie uv thuh Nawth
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    It's true that I diss the 270, and a LOT of other things.

BUT, it's all in fun. You're supposed to take issue, which provokes discussion.

I read a great deal of what JOC wrote, back when he was writin it. At least a couple of times in his writing he mentioned a friend with a 280 load, that delivered 3,000 fps with a 140 grain bullet.

This made me feel good because I had a 280 and used 140 grain Nosler Partitions.

JOC and EK were real gun writers in the sense that they didn't mince words. They said lots of harsh things about the other one's choices, and folks, including me, ate it up.

I am not touchy about what people say about my cartridges, guns, etc. and especially not if there is some humor involved.

I worked with a guy who said that my 30-30 was so slow, that he could shoot my bullets out of the air with his 223. He kept that going for quite awhile.

Another guy shot a moose with his BAR 300 Win Mag. He shot it in the neck and for some reason he got the idea that the neck was really tuff. He wondered if a 30 - 30 would have even penetrated the neck. AND he was SERIOUS.

No doubt, having had the idea the 30 - 30 was deficient, planted in his mind by the other guys joking. I did get back at them, but the story is convoluted.

There is a tremendous number of big game cartridges to choose from, and I wouldn't be terribly surprised if every one of them worked just fine. ( Cept, maybe the 270. )

I apologize if I've offended you, or anyone with my propensity to focus on what I perceive to be shortcomings. Don't get mad and leave. This forum would only be half as interesting without you.

Smiddie uv thuh Nawth
    I ain't going no where Smitty and you never came close to making me mad. I can't say ever been mad at any one on any forum just provoked enough to respond. It's all in fun unless someone gets on the opposition to what this forum is all about. Other than that there ain't no bad guns or gun lovers. We be on the same side Smitty!

EKC of Ioway... land of tornados, coyotes and wood ticks....other than those it's not a bad place to live.