Thread: Off-airport tie down preferences?

Default Off-airport tie down preferences?

What are folks using for a tie down system when in the backcountry? I've read a couple threads on this over on the Super Cub forum, but was wondering what the members here prefer. I looked at this option based on what I read over there, ( http://www.flyties.com/ ) but I'm not convinced this would be ideal on gravel bars/rocky soil. I've also read about canvas bags that one simply fills with rocks and then buries. Other options? Some folks have also mentioned ground anchors, but I'm not entirely clear on specifically what they're referring to. I'm hoping to do some multi-day trips this summer where I'd be leaving the plane unattended for quite some time, so I'd like to have some confidence in whatever system I carry.

On that note, does anyone bother with a bear fence around the plane to keep curious bears away from chewing on the tires? I'm thinking that might be a wise choice, but don't have one yet.

Take a look at an early bunch of replies to pretty much the same question:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ots-and-tricks

Thanks. I saw that earlier thread, but it is mostly focused on the lines/knots - I'm asking about the ground attachments/anchors. Perhaps my question wasn't clear, but I'm wondering what folks bury/drill/set in/on the ground for a firm anchor.

Duckbills
    I keep them, rod, axe in each plane.
    Swap for ice screw in winter.....Use your wing cover bags in winter for deadmans when in deeper stuff. I haven't found simpler, more effective solution yet.

Watching a video on duckbills, is it not difficult to extract them when done? Do you carry a simple shovel, or...?

The tundra/sand/etc I've dug them. Otherwise they are like $5 ea at aih so personally I don't bother if it's rocky tough digging. I just keep a dozen around for quick spares.
    I use the mid sized. My bud uses the little ones and puts 2 in at each wing point. Shorter and easier to dig is his claim. I dunno but seems like good idea I suppose.

Good call. At that price, I wouldn't be too concerned. Any local sources?

Quote Originally Posted by AK-HUNT View Post
    The tundra/sand/etc I've dug them. Otherwise they are like $5 ea at aih so personally I don't bother if it's rocky tough digging. I just keep a dozen around for quick spares.
    I use the mid sized. My bud uses the little ones and puts 2 in at each wing point. Shorter and easier to dig is his claim. I dunno but seems like good idea I suppose.
    Brian........You must be tired. AIH
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

I keep a set of duckbills and a rod in the cargo pod all the time. And like they said, put them in and leave them. If your flying to a remote strip, do a careful search around the ends. Chances are someone has already put a set in. And when I do put them in I tie a small piece of flagging tape so others can find them and use them.
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Quote Originally Posted by Music Man View Post
    Brian........You must be tired. AIH
    Ha! That I am, sir.

Thanks for the help, all!

I think the cheapest I found was Alaska wire rope and supply. Like the other guys said I mark with tape and leave them. I use an ax to drive them, I also carry gill nets from sportsman warehouse. very light and can hold a lot of rocks. Just put everything in the plane and never take it out unless you are going to use it. You never know when that short flight to local sandbar ends up being a two day stay for the plane.
    DENNY

Duckbills are the premium.
    If you don't have them, I carry a very small fold up shovel, you can dig a hole and lay an X brace of logs each about 4 foot long. Wrap ropes around it and bury it. This works well in sand.
    In snow the same thing, maybe bury a little deeper. It has o freeze in and set up.

Also, look for big logs. Some areas such as beaches you can just pull up to a couple and tie down.

I carry duckbills with the rod inside a length of pvc, plus Abe's Tiedowns.

http://www.abesaviation.com
    Phil Whittemore
    If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much space.

https://share.delorme.com/PhilWhittemore

I've never dug out a Duckbill. I've used the little #40s and had them pull out. #68s are way better but the cables are more than 2' long. I'm not digging them out! Beware of anchors you leave in the ground and use year after year. The cables rust at the soil surface and break when loaded, like when you really need them. I replace mine every couple of years. Drive a new one, bury the cable end of the old one. And duckbills aren't much good in sand unless you carry #88s, but those require a big hardened (expensive) drive rod and a 16# hammer. Not very practical. AK Wire Rope is my go-to for Duckbills, drivers, shackles, etc.

No bear fence for me but I have friends that use them. It depends on your location.