Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Outboard Jet River Boat Emergency Kit

Default Outboard Jet River Boat Emergency Kit

What do you guys keep in an emergency kit on your outboard jet boats? Which tools? Which spare parts? I'm not including survival gear in this list. That is a list for a different thread. I am just thinking of tools and parts for possible field repairs so you're not hiking out and leaving your boat behind.

Here is a partial list of a few items I am thinking of:

Spare impeller
    Spare intake foot
    Fire extinguisher
    Wrenches (open and socket) needed to replace impeller/foot
    Pliers
    Spare fuel lines and hose clamps
    Grease
    Spark plugs and wrench
    Pliers
    Come along
    Lots of rope
    Tool for clearing rocks out of the intake

Is it worth carrying an extra water pump and rubber impeller and the tools to change it? I can envision making a bad mistake and packing a water pump full of sand...

What else? Any cool tricks or tips or tools I am missing that you always take along?
    Any other ideas?

Sat phone or InReach/Spot communicator.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

Here is the tool kit I carry. http://store.aihalaska.com/index.php...ducts_id=20393
    Have one in the boat and one at the cabin. The one gets used a lot, and by the neighbors too.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

Amen. I always bring my InReach.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grayling Slayer View Post

In Reach/Sat phone absolutely. And, make sure you let someone know where you are heading and to keep an eye out for a call or text. Your buddy with the rescue boat is not a lot of help if he does not know you may be calling and turns off his phone. How big of a boat? I carry a Pull-Pal.

Spare cable to jet unit and hardware, spare impeller and liner, Oars and locks, rope along or block and tackle with climber pulleys. I would screw the flooring so it can be pulled up to clean out silt and leaves, .

Spare impeller keys for both the water cooling impeller AND the jet impeller. Nothing like dropping those in a creek.

Sobie2

What are some favorite water tight containers for storing tools to prevent corrosion? There are all kinds of containers out there. What are your favorites that don't break the bank?

In addition to the spare impeller, sleeve and foot, have a full complement of shims, dog-eared washer, brass nut, and the correct key and plastic sleeve that go inside the impeller. Some of the more crucial easy to drop in the water items would be good to have more than one of. Other thing that I can think of off hand are a spare fuel bulb and line, spare fuel fittings, bailing wire, red bottle heet, spark plugs (if 2 stroke), extra inline fuel filter for the fuel line if there already isn't a racor filter plumbed in.

Alot of what else you bring depends on the size and type of motor you are running. My tool kit and spare parts list also varies depending on what I'm doing, where I'm going, how far, and with whom I'm with. At the very least I have a handful of basic tools to remove the foot and lower unit and do other minor repairs etc such as fuel pump or whatever....Most stuff can be done with just a handful of wrenches and sockets.

As far as a tool kit goes, unless you are a mechanic and want to be able to rebuild or overhaul the motor on the river bank there is no need to go overboard with the size of your kit. For most small outboard motors the tool kit should fit into a small to medium-ish sized ammo can. Use your toolkit to do all the repairs and maintenance at home so you'll know if you need to add something.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Buck View Post
    How big of a boat? I carry a Pull-Pal.
    18-ft jon boat. I have a danforth anchor in the boat. I've used danforth anchors for winching out wheelers on tundra. Would an anchor like this work for winching out the boat or is the pull-pal the way to go?

I would think the anchor would be sufficient for you. I have in inboard jet, I need all the gear i can haul if i stick it. Have not needed it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Grayling Slayer View Post

With a list of all the closest chopper companies for when that stuck gets ugly.
    Friends of a friend were stuck so bad last fall at the mouth of the Fantail River on Tagish lake that they had to phone an AStar from Whitehorse to get them to deep water. They had no sat phone and waited for a couple of days until a boat came along that had one.
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

As mentioned before extra shims for the impeller, nyloc nuts for the jet foot, lock washer for the main shaft nut and plastic sleeve for the impeller.

For tools I always bring with a large enough pair of Channel Lock pliers to straighten the intake grates, I also brought a Cresent wrench large enough to remove the impeller nut. I bring three 7/16 combo wrenches to remove the jet foot with if I lost one I'd still have a couple in reserve. Bring a file with to dress the intake grate and leading edges of the impeller. I put all my spare parts and tools in a tool bag in my boat but I also made sure that I had a smaller less inclusive set of tools and minor spares in another location in case the tool bag was lost or forgotten.

Basic wrenches,Chanel locks,big and small Philips screwdrivers,bailing wire,survival tape(witch I always get every year at the sportsmans show) and a selection of bolts,washers and nylock nuts. Seems like the times I can really remember having to fix stuff it always involved a lethermen and bailing wire to get us home.

Some SCH 40 PVC for rollers. I have talked to someone else who carries 3' pieces of pvc different diameters so they fit inside each other to save space. This is on my list. Easier to roll a heavy boat than drag it.

I keep an impeller, sleeve, shims, nuts, retainer washer, wrenches, mill******* file, pliers (needlenose, channellocks), an extra pull cord, duct tape, and some z-spar 2 stage epoxy for patches on the hull. One is none and 2 is 1 when you pull the foot off to clear out sand or weeds and drop some nuts or shims or a wrench in knee deep silty water. I also keep a BIG screwdriver handy for cleaning the grate and tiny one or some wire to clean out the pee hole.
    Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it.

Quote Originally Posted by ckreitel View Post
    What are some favorite water tight containers for storing tools to prevent corrosion? There are all kinds of containers out there. What are your favorites that don't break the bank?
    I use the small Ammo cans. They take a beating and keep the water out. Not sure if they're water tight (submersible ) but I get them for free so it's what I use.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
    -At what point does "against all enemies foreign and domestic" apply to politicians?

Where do you get them for free?
    Quote Originally Posted by mntransplant View Post
    I use the small Ammo cans. They take a beating and keep the water out. Not sure if they're water tight (submersible ) but I get them for free so it's what I use.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

From my work at uncle Sam's club.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk
    -At what point does "against all enemies foreign and domestic" apply to politicians?

Default Gravel bar extraction

Here is a climbers light weight five line block and tackle I put together for a little over $60.00 that performed really well recently.
    https://onedrive.live.com/embed?cid=...NZGAXpyNlSGfes
    Last edited by trapperbob; 04-15-2016 at 22:46. Reason: fixed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast