Thread: What Boat Mods should I make? 1852 G3

Default What Boat Mods should I make? 1852 G3

Hi,
    Just purchased a 2012 boat with 40hp Yamaha Jet. Also lower prop unit

Looking to put some nice mods on this boat for fishing in on Kenai and Susitna tribs.

I mostly swing two hand rods from gravel bars, but also dead drift beads and pull plugs when I have young kids in the boat.

So far this is my project list:
    - Anchor caddie system on bow
    - middle and front temptress hatches in bench seats for storage
    - reroute fuel line and tank to front to get weight in bow
    - aluminum rod trays welded to insides
    - action seats in front bench and rear
    - 3/8 AC plywood floors with textured, painted surface. Rivet/screw them to floor
    - lowrance 4 or 5 depth finder

What else?????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cody,
    Tiller handle or stand up?
    Good fuel filter in it yet?
    Self inflating life jackets are nice.
    rod rack
    Cup holders

Bk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Airboats, ocean boats, and river boats serviced.
    https://www.facebook.com/BKMarineServices?fref=ts

Where do you stow your rods while running, as well as any spares in addition to those fishing at the moment? You'll save yourself a lot of heartburn if you put in rod racks lengthwise down either side.

Where & for what you gonna use it the most ?
    Don't add too much until you have a few trips on in like dip netting, camping, hunting
    Deck space & weight are valuable :-)
    Then ; Adapt it to fit you

Thanks for the feedback fellas. It's a tiller handle. Rod racks are difficult bc of bench seats. I stow rods in rod tray while running. Rod tray will be 6" wide, 1.5" lip, rubber diamond plate surface and 14' long from transom to bow.

I have an in line fuel filter, I couldn't tell you if it is a good one or not.

I will take some pictures in AM.

Self inflating jacket and cup holders is great add on.

I will use it mostly for fishing middle and lower Kenai.

Hey Cody
    I just bought a new G3 with the 40/30 as well. Where did you find the action seats and hatches for storage, sounds like just what I need.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cabelas, Sportsman's or west marine

I haven't spent much time on the kenai but for rivers closer to the interior I would go with a tunnel,jet unit,flotation pods, and a wash down pump and removable seats so you can maximize your floor space for hauling gear or dip netting or what not.

I'd put a set of oars on it for back trolling down the Little Su

Are the seats full of flotation foam?
    Bilge pump. Racor fuel water/separator.
    For the plywood ensure its not treated (bad reaction to aluminum even tho you're gonna paint it)
    Also for plywood cut pieces to fit then take em to a Speed Liner dealer and have em coated (primed & 2 top coats) on both sides and all edges. I have 3 years and roughly 3500 hrs on my water taxi Hewes deck and it's awesome stuff. Caulk the edges where it meets the hull.
    You mentioned more weight in the front? If running the Kenai don't need a jet at all, I'd go with the prop and throw on a Dol-fin stabilizer to the lower unit, it will work wonders. If the motor doesn't have electric trim and tilt you can still adjust the final trim with the adjustment rod that limits lower motor travel.
    We had a 16' Alumaweld Xpress for years on the Kenai, the boat came with flotation pods/sponsons integrated with the hull on either side of the outboard, that was freakin ingenious as it jumped the boat on plane and also discovered it's way easy to get off & on the boat as a step when fishing reds on the river beaching the boat and keepin it tied to a tree. Also I stuck 3m non skid tape on the sponsons and found the PERFECT spot and height (when wearing hip boots) to clean fish. No mess in the boat and with the stupid amount of boat traffic & wakes, fish would not slide off the 3m tape. Ended up the best thing about that boat hands down.
    Check out Quickwater Adventure water taxi/transport services: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Quick...37553606260978