Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Good hiking boots???

Default Good hiking boots???

Trying to get some info on a good pair of hiking boots that do not break the bank. I will be using them for a fall sheep hunt. I have a good set but am worried they're going to be a bit bulky and hot for early August. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Go ahead and BREAK the bank.......it is far cheaper than breaking your body.

Quote Originally Posted by USSDUCKSLAYER View Post
    Trying to get some info on a good pair of hiking boots that do not break the bank.

Quote Originally Posted by USSDUCKSLAYER View Post
    Trying to get some info on a good pair of hiking boots that do not break the bank. I will be using them for a fall sheep hunt. I have a good set but am worried they're going to be a bit bulky and hot for early August. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!
    Although I've always been a Miendel boot (through Cabellas) kinda guy, I recently got a great deal on some Asolo boots from Sierra Trading Co. and I have to say they've been great boots. I wouldn't hesitate to wear them sheep hunting. If you go to Sierra Trading Co. you may have to look around for awhile to find a pair of boots that you like and are in your size, but when you do you can get a pretty darn good deal on them. You can get on their email list as well and they'll let you know of the deals going on....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

https://www.lowaboots.com/mens/backp...or=Sepia/Black

The above are my boot of choice and have been for many years. Boot Country in Anchorage carries them (or did last year). I can certainly appreciate not wanting to break the bank, but there are really only a couple things that can ruin a sheep hunt - poor fitting/performing boots, a tent that can't withstand the weather, and raingear that doesn't protect you. All the rest is details. If you plan on hunting for years, I'd highly suggest you look at the Lowa Tibets and a few other boots in that range. Asolo (as mentioned above) makes some quality boots, as do a few other companies, but they also make some light hikers that aren't up to the task.

Go try on some boots before committing to anything you see online. Every foot is different, so what works best for us might not work for you.

Lowa's are a great boot, I used the GTX from Barneys sport chalet on my sheep hunt a couple years ago and they made a big difference. Like Brian said though, go try on different ones as each person has their own preferences.
    Kodiak Island Adventures
    907-539-6474
    Shearwater 38' Allen Marine Catamaran
    Lana J 40' USCG inspected

Another strong vote for Lowa's...I've got a one week sheep hunt and one week Kodiak goat hunt on mine so far, and they are perfect for me.

I have a very narrow size 9.5 foot. Anyone else with a narrow foot that can chime in on their boot of choice?
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

I have owned several types of boots, these by far work best for me. Salewa Repace GTX.

https://www.rei.com/product/881741/s...ing-boots-mens

If there is anything you spend a little extra on, let it be your boots.

Quote Originally Posted by cod View Post
    I have a very narrow size 9.5 foot. Anyone else with a narrow foot that can chime in on their boot of choice?
    That was my issue as well, Salewa fit the bill. Has a nice heel pocket that locks your foot in as well.

Lowa GTX Great boot.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

The Miendel from Cabelas are probably going to be your best bet because they have a lifetime warranty. I have kenetreks myself and I have over time notice that one of the boots rubs my right big toe a little awkward but have been great boots otherwise. I'll probably go Miendels next time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DISCLAIMER: The best boot for any of us may be the worst boot for your feet.

I tried on several different boots for a goat hunt. Under amour. kennetrek. Asolo. Lowa. I returned a pair of under amours for leaking after 10 miles of break in hiking. I read lots of reviews for the cabelas miendel alaskan and purchased them. They were not cheap but you can catch them on sale.

The REI brands just did not snug my foot or were to narrow in the heel. By far the most comfortable hiking for me was Under Armour, but leaks at 10 miles doesn't cut it. I do like the lifetime warranty with the miendels, if they start leaking, crack, you get free repair or replace. My buddy says he has been goat/sheep hunting in them for 10 years and still feel great and no repairs.

I just erased a huge paragraph on why I like the boots I have.......weird as it may sound, take a look at Irish Setter brand. Wouldn't think they'd be a good hunting boot, they sure surprised me for durability and more surprising their ability to stay dry on the inside.....during some crazy wet/cold outings last year.......without waterproofing. Might be a bit heavy but I'll take dry, pain free feet/ankles over a couple ounces of weight any day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Salewa Raven Combi GTX from Barney's were the pair I finally chose after a month of trying on boots at all the local stores. They have a blister free guarantee, for the support they're very light. My brother in law heard me yap about them all summer, he tried a pair on and bought them as well. They run anywhere from $250-330 depending on the sale you catch.

Barney's should have their boots on sale for the Sportsman's Show. Normally they have a 10% off everything sale for that time.

I made it a point to not look at price tags when I was shopping. It's easy to get a price=quality attitude and gravitate towards the more expensive pair. Everyone has their own fit that works. For me, you couldn't give me another pair of Kenetreks. I can promise you that you'd pay $2,000 for a pair of good boots when you're sitting in the tent with half dollars peeling off your feet.

Meindl's are the best boots I've ever owned. I used to be a Danner guy until about 10-15 years ago I tried the Meindl's. I'll never go back. Most comfortable, durable and supportive boots I've ever owned.

Even though I went for Lowa's for hiking, Meindl's by Cabela's are the sheep hunting boot choice. They fit perfectly

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

+1 for Meindl's. Great boots

Asolo makes great boots if they fit you well. I've gone through two pairs which lasted five years each, wore the thick vibram soles down to nothing before any stitch came undone our any other material failed. Wore them in desert southwest as well as Alaska. Regarding boots being too hot, in my personal experience if you're wearing boots heavy duty enough for serious backcountry travel, you're going to have swamp feet even if it's below freezing.

Definitely do a search. This is a recurring thread. Lots of ideas there. I prefer Schnee Granites. Awesome well built boot. Before I tried them I wore LaSportiva. Great boots as well.

+1 kenetrek, best boots I've ever had. 1st pair lasted several years and hundreds of miles. I'm on my second pair now and just as happy with them.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast