Thread: How much thrust for elec motor on drift boat for stillwater

Default How much thrust for elec motor on drift boat for stillwater

I have a 16'8" Hyde db that I picked up last fall & haven't had much chance to play with. Along with the normal river fishing I hope to do some Stillwater fishing with it (Smaller lakes) & was considering electric trolling motors. My question is how big is big enough? Do I need to go with a 55# thrust (Minn Kota Endura Max a good choice?) or would something smaller be plenty?
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

I went with a riptide 80 for my '16 Clack. Don't usually need that much thrust on flat water but I also use it in current. I did notice though that when fighting the wind on a lake, its nice to have that extra kick.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I have a Minn Kota 55# on my 16' Clacka for electric only stillwaters. Plenty of power for still water, but I'd go for more for current. But I also have a 5HP Tohatsu that I use in current so it's not a big deal for me to swap motors. Make sure you get a long enough shaft motor to fit your Hyde.

Thanks guys I really appreciate the input.
    I intend to get a little 3.5-5hp gas motor a little later but it sounds like the 55# Minn Kota will probably be a viable quiet option for the smaller lakes this summer.
    Vance in AK.

"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

We used a 55# thrust Minn Kota last fall with a 16 ft Willie drift boat. It actually worked better than I thought it would.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

iirc I have a 55# MinKota on my 16' Koffler and it works pretty good on the lakes.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    iirc I have a 55# MinKota on my 16' Koffler and it works pretty good on the lakes.
    Great. I have a 9.9hp High thrust Honda 4stroke I need to get up for sale and then I can spend some money :-)
    Vance in AK.