Thread: Hope trails

Default Hope trails

Does anyone know of some good trails down in Hope? Preferably not too technical

YES..........I know of many.

However it is "ILLEGAL" to operate an ATV in this part (and very nearly "ALL") of the Chugach National Forest. This includes gravel roads like Palmer Creek Road and Bear Creek Road.

There are several Forest Service Cops patrolling the area, and they have cameras recording illegal activities.......Suggest you buy some top quality hiking boots. Sell the "STINK'Mobile Thingie".

Or I have nearly 16 acres that I could sell you to ride on.

Quote Originally Posted by vitopure21 View Post
    Does anyone know of some good trails down in Hope? Preferably not too technical

Is it just illegal in Hope? I was just in Bird Creek on Sunday and there were plenty of people out and that is in the Chugach. Unless that is state vs federal land

Quote Originally Posted by vitopure21 View Post
    Is it just illegal in Hope? I was just in Bird Creek on Sunday and there were plenty of people out and that is in the Chugach. Unless that is state vs federal land
    Bird Creek is part of the Chugach State Park, whereas the area around Hope is part of Chugach National Forest. State vs. Federal management, totally different rules.

Okay thank you for the clarification.

It's also worth noting that ATV use isn't allowed in most of Chugach State Park, either. They're allowed in Bird Creek and Eklutna (only Sunday-Wednesday on designated trails), but otherwise they're banned from the State Park as well. If you're looking for lots of ATV options, north of Anchorage is your best bet.

Thanks for the heads up Brian. I've been to Eklutna and its not too fun with the speed limit but understand there are others on the trails not just ATVs. Any suggestions for up north?

Sutton; King River; Eureka.

Of course Knik also, further out there are lots of trails off the Denali Highway. Further South you run into the Kenai Wildlife Refuge with same problem, but there are trails in the Caribou Hills from Ninilchik and Homer. Some areas deemed Critical Habitat are limited to 1000lbs so no side by sides. Can run some of the Kenai beaches too.