Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Change to Drawing Permits

Default New Change to Drawing Permits

Glad to see this change adopted. If you want to put all of your three (or six for moose) choices into one permit, now you can. This will make some permits harder to draw if you still want to spread your choices around, but it should increase your odds if you want to put all of your applications in for the same hunt. I think F&G can expect more revenue with this change, and personally, I think it will make the "gambling" a little more fun.

http://www.newsminer.com/news/local_...e6372edea.html
    [Quote]The Alaska Board of Game approved the new random drawing process by a 6-1 vote Friday morning. The new system works like the bucket raffles used at some silent auctions. A prospective hunter can buy up to six $5 to $10 tickets per species. Then, the hunter can enter the tickets into the drawing for one hunt he or she really wants to go on or distribute the tickets among hunts in different parts of the state.

Under the old system, hunters could enter each drawing only once. For most big game species, hunters could only buy three tickets. The state received more than 200,000 applications for big-game drawing permits for the 2016 season. Winners were announced in February. Drawing permit tickets cost $10 for bison and musk ox and $5 for other animals under both systems.

“I like this new system,” board Chairman Ted Spraker said. “I think it’s a step forward. It came out of the Sheep Working Group, it came from the public. I think it would be a good alternative to a very complicated preference of bonus system.”

The one “no” vote came from Bethel board member Stosh Hoffman, who said he worried the bucket raffle system will be a gateway to Alaska adapting a “bonus points” system like one used in other states. Bonus point systems reward perseverance by giving unsuccessful applicants points toward future drawings. Hoffman doesn’t favor bonus points because they make it harder for young hunters to win drawings, he said.

The proposal for Alaska’s new system did start as a request for a bonus points system. The Alaska Bowhunters Association and other hunters asked the board to change the permit lottery because of complaints about people applying for years without success.

Game board members balked at the bonus points system after state employees reported that it would cost the state more money to track hunters over multiple years and award bonus points. The bucket raffle system was suggested as an alternative that would be easier to run.[/Qutoe]

This will be interesting to see how it morphs the # of entries for "less desirable" hunts over a few years. I know I'll be one studying the trends at least and maybe putting all my chips into one of those after a couple years to up my odds even more. My chances can't get any worse I guess seeing as though I'm 0 for about 150 so far.
    The more you talk, the more I wish I was deaf.

I thought I understood this to be you couldn't put all of your moose choices onto a bull permit. Still limited to 3 for bulls.

Didn't they also increase the # of apps per species to six for all species?

The BOG was concerned with being able to put all 6 of your moose slots into one hunt. They use the antlerless hunts to manage the herd. So moose, like it is now, is separated into three antlerless and three antlered. The other species are now up to six. But how does that work for buffalo or musk ox if there are not six hunts? Also a revenue generator for more slots per application. Fish and Game will have to tinker with the system a little but it should be interesting to see how this works out. If people put all six in for one coveted hunt or spreads them out for a single chance in six hunts per species. Not a bad change in my opinion.

Glad I drew my Bison permit already
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Though I don't know for sure obviously, there's nothing posted on ADF&G's website as of yet, I don't think it's gone to 6 chances for every species. The way I read it "up to six" means 6 or less. So most likely you'll be able to put 6 chances into one antlerless moose draw, or 3 in one bull and 3 in one antlerless, etc. etc. And then still be limited to 3 chances total for other species and you'd most likely be able to break that up as well i.e. 2 in one, 1 in another, or all 3 in one.

My guess is we get 6 for every species. F&G can double their revenue on permit applications without much extra effort needed on their end.

To me this article only expresses one change, the fact that you can apply for a single hunt multiple times. The other rules should be the same unless there are changes happening to them specifically during these meetings. They are simply stating "up to 6" because that is a maximum currently in the system. They would more than likely specify if that was a change as well.

I think this will ultimately have an effect on the ratio of people that actually go on the hunt, because folks will prioritize the hunts they really do want instead of maxing out their chances on a variety of hunts and drawing something a little less interesting to them. How many folks will apply for three delta bison bull permits instead of one for bull and one for cow. The odds could be a lot better this year on drawing a cow bison permit, especially if you put all of your eggs in one basket for the lesser of the two permits.

I do know one thing, this just got more expensive for me come November.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Glad I drew my Bison permit already
    Likewise. If it goes to six choices, I probably will just stop applying for bison. Maaaaybe I'll go all-in on Farewell, but I'm probably done applying for Delta.

I think I stand corrected, after reading some of the preliminary results for these meetings, it does state that "the board amended proposal 97 with substitute language (RC 93) to allow applicants to apply for six drawing permit hunts and to apply multiple times for a single hunt.

Here is the link to this ADF&G meeting cycle. You can see the preliminary summary of actions in PDF form.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...ting=fairbanks

Also interesting was the elimination of meat salvage of brown/grizzly bears taken at bait stations, and the fact you can sell grizzly/brown bear hides and skulls now.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerod View Post
    I think I stand corrected, after reading some of the preliminary results for these meetings, it does state that "the board amended proposal 97 with substitute language (RC 93) to allow applicants to apply for six drawing permit hunts and to apply multiple times for a single hunt.

Here is the link to this ADF&G meeting cycle. You can see the preliminary summary of actions in PDF form.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...ting=fairbanks

Also interesting was the elimination of meat salvage of brown/grizzly bears taken at bait stations, and the fact you can sell grizzly/brown bear hides and skulls now.
    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaZag View Post
    I stand corrected as well. In a good way though since we can all apply for "more" hunts now I guess. Holy crap this is gonna get expensive.

I'm already trying to overthink this...... so the favorite hunts 'should' get harder and all the 'third choices' should have improved odds. That is if folks utilize the new "all in" opportunity. hhmmmmm....

Pretty slick move by the BOG to raise revenue without raising fees
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Quote Originally Posted by fuhrerak View Post
    I'm already trying to overthink this...... so the favorite hunts 'should' get harder and all the 'third choices' should have improved odds. That is if folks utilize the new "all in" opportunity. hhmmmmm....
    The good news is that we have over 8 months to plan our strategy.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik in AK View Post
    Pretty slick move by the BOG to raise revenue without raising fees
    Excellent move by BOG.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben XCR View Post
    I stand corrected as well. In a good way though since we can all apply for "more" hunts now I guess. Holy crap this is gonna get expensive.
    You said it. I foresee my annual F&G donation at least tripling this Nov.

Bingo! I got this all figured out.
    My child was inmate of the month at Mat-Su pre-trial Correctional facility.

Are we going to take turns dumping our tries into delta bison tags?

I like this. It shakes things up a bit and maybe makes some of those almost hard to get tags more reachable.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

What if we draw the same tag twice :-)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast