Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Frame Packs

Default Frame Packs

Hello yall. So I'm going on a Caribou hunt this year up in Adak and possibly a local moose hunt. the only pack that I have is military surplus small pack. I'm looking to get a better then average/good frame pack to haul gear in (as little as possible) and game out. What are some good packs that also don't break the bank? Thanks in advance all!

My recommendation is the Cabelas Outfitter frame & harness. Have hauled many elk and other game out with these. Very comfortable and weighs approx 6lbs and will haul more weight than my legs can handle. I just use the frame, not the pack that you can purchase with it (little heavy). I have used it in Alaska on 2 moose hunts. Zero complaints. Costs approx. $150.

You might read our review of the Barney's Moose Pack. They're expensive only if you look at the short haul. This pack will last your lifetime. You can sometimes find a great deal on one here in our Swap and Sell forum.

HERE'S THE LINK to the article.

It will also give you some ideas what to look for in a pack.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    You might read our review of the Barney's Moose Pack. They're expensive only if you look at the short haul. This pack will last your lifetime. You can sometimes find a great deal on one here in our Swap and Sell forum.

HERE'S THE LINK to the article.

It will also give you some ideas what to look for in a pack.

-Mike
    They discontinued the "moose" pack. But they replaced it with the "hunter". Just got one myself about a week ago. I can say I am extremely happy with it and won't need another pack for the rest of my life! Those guys are all very helpful and knowledgeable in there. Leryt, I would recommend just stopping in and asking a few questions, they know their stuff and will point you in the right direction. And they are getting ready to have a 10% off sale for the sportsmans show.
    Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison.

My Barneys pack. It carries more then I can and will out live me. I expect my grandsons will be using it. If one is going to be a life long hunter and wants something of proven value to pass on get one. If one is only doing a couple of trips every few years then shop Cabelas for some thing cheaper.

Just go get a pack from Barney. It will save your back, it will last, and you carry more weight with less labor. It's a no brainer unless you plan to only use it once, then just go buy a camptrails somewhere. The down side is that it will be expensive, but the best usually is.

I have a Cabellas outfitter I would sell. If interested PM me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'd also recommend the Barney's pack. I used a Cabela's pack for a few years before getting a Barney's pack. More money as noted above, but much better. Lighter, stronger, more comfortable, etc.

That being said, if you aren't going to use it much, there are other options out there. For caribou on Adak, you might just use a sled, I know that's what some guys do.

There is but one....
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    There is but one....
    ....says the man with a whole Yeti in his pack! Gotta agree, tho.

Quote Originally Posted by supercub driver View Post
    Just go get a pack from Barney. It will save your back, it will last, and you carry more weight with less labor. It's a no brainer unless you plan to only use it once, then just go buy a camptrails somewhere. The down side is that it will be expensive, but the best usually is.
    The Barneys frame looks suspiciously like a camptrails frame. While there at Barneys to buy my Barneys pack frame years ago, I asked the Barneys employee if the barneys frame was built from a Camptrails frame and he said yes it was. Barney's Sport Chalet does not build the frame. They just put there own belt, strap, suspension system etc on it

It is not a camp trails frame. Unless camp trails has changed their frames. Barneys is a thicker smaller diameter tubing now. It used to be the same I believe. That aside even if the metal is still the same, everything else is different. Considering I went from a camp trails to a Barney now own five of them. No one has been able to touch what a Barney bag aka caddilac pack, can handle. It will do more than I can,
    I've tried.
    Master guide 212

It was quite a few years ago now that I was told that the frame was a camptrails frame. That may or may not be the case now

It is not the case. Like Jake, I previously went from a camp trails to a Barneys frame. Different design, construction, and ability to handle serious loads.

Still love my Barneys pack and won't part with it, but just ordered a Stone Glacier pack yesterday. We shall see how it performs under similar loads...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    It is not the case. Like Jake, I previously went from a camp trails to a Barneys frame. Different design, construction, and ability to handle serious loads.

Still love my Barneys pack and won't part with it, but just ordered a Stone Glacier pack yesterday. We shall see how it performs under similar loads...
    Which model did you end up going with? Look forward to hearing how you like it

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaZag View Post
    Which model did you end up going with? Look forward to hearing how you like it
    I got the Sky Talus 6900. I'll be sure to post a gear review once I've carried a few animals out in it.

where do you guys get the Barneys packs? Is there a local place in Anchorage/Fairbanks?

Barneys sport chalet on northern lights in anchorage.
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I got the Sky Talus 6900. I'll be sure to post a gear review once I've carried a few animals out in it.
    What'd that run ya Brian...???
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    What'd that run ya Brian...???
    I'm gonna guess around 800 cause that's what my sky talus that just showed up cost.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast