Thread: More hp from 0-290d2

Default More hp from 0-290d2

Ok so I have a experimental 0-290d2 I have put 470hrs on it and now I'm looking for a little extra hp. I have read lots of info on how to get that done. My question is there any Alaskans tricking out these motors if so how was your experience? I know there are things like lycon h compression piston, port and polish, 0-320 oil sump and carb, 0-435 angle valve cylinders and so on.. but is anyone up here doing this and getting good results ? I know i have a orphan motor and should just go with a 0-320 but would like to keep my 0-290d2 till I absolutely have to upgrade. Thanks for all your input.

I know people gotta be upping the hp on there motors and have some good pointers with some do and don'ts.

By the time you get any more power out of an orphan of a motor, you'd be well ahead to just buy the o-320. I cannot think of anyone who mods an o-290.

^^^ Ditto. Ditto. Ditto.

Went through this same evaluation about (it's hell to get old) 20 years ago....even had more money than sense at the time....but it just didn't make any sense to trick out the 0-290.

If you are in the experimental ranks and have $$, look to go to an modified-for-lighter-weight -320.

FWIW, when I got the 0-320 all those years ago, the only way I could get rid of the 0-290 (it was in good shape then with no metal, high compression, etc) was to market it to the airboat crowd. At the last minute, another PA-12 guy took it off my hands when his -12 blew a hole in a cylinder late August and he was using the -12 for guiding. It became a bidding war between the airboat guy and the -12 guy. Still didn't make any money on that sale. As stated above, the 0-290 is an orphan motor.
    Back in AK

I used to have a J5/PA12 with a 0-290 in it. Cross over header style exhaust helped a little and so did a low resistance air filter. Other than that, the 0-290D2 is already producing about as much HP as it can possibly produce. Loosing 50 pounds of aircraft weight will make up for the extra 10 horsepower.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

I have already dropped weight in the starter old generated and regulator and replaced the bore prop with a catto and about to get a lightweight battery. Would like to start getting some more hp just can't justify the price of a new 0-320 for the 10hp gain.

The answer is , no battery, no starter, no alternator, no wires, no flywheel. no big radios.
    A 0-290 cannot compete with a 0-320 at altitude. The 0-290 just can't breath enough up high. If you were going with a new engine, a 0-360, 180 horse would be the way to go.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

I have read lots of different opinions on fuel burn rate for the 0-360. Then there is the whole being stuck with burning av gass only. Not that it's a bad thing but is the extra weight and hp worth not having the option to run mogas?

Quote Originally Posted by akbonecollector View Post
    I have read lots of different opinions on fuel burn rate for the 0-360. Then there is the whole being stuck with burning av gass only. Not that it's a bad thing but is the extra weight and hp worth not having the option to run mogas?
    One of the many great things in the Experimental world is there are many ways to achieve the same end. For instance a number of different 360cu motors and a number of different ways to achieve 180hp. Take a look at this link as just one example:
    http://www.titanengine.com/engines.html

One of the many great things is you can use whatever ignition system you desire, including on that allows you to dial back the timing advance so you can fly with MoGas. Of course a lower compression engine will accomplish the same thing. But decide you need more power with EI you can advance the timing and change to Avgas and there you are.
    Phil Whittemore
    If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much space.

https://share.delorme.com/PhilWhittemore

Anyone on here have any experience with the ace aicraft motors? They make a big bore 0-335 180hp lighter then stock 0-320 and all that burning 87 octane mogas.. http://www.heavy-fuel-engines.com/about/

Check out supercub.org. There is some info there on the motor bobby had on the glacier cub (same company). Looks like a nice motor but it is not cheap and if anything happens to the company you now have a all the same issues you have with your current motor. If you look around enough you can find a good run out 0320/0360 and build a motor that has spare parts/mags/prop in most villages in AK.

As with most hot rod stuff the first 10 hp are pretty easy to get with airflow (intake/muffler/carb work) once you get that first 10 or so hp the rest has very little bang for the buck. Low buck way would be to gut the muffler. May or may not help. I would do it just for safety issue in any case.
    DENNY

Yeah having problems with your one of a kind motor in the boonies might not be fun... never thought about the idea that they could go out of bussiness. My thing is I just don't wanna be stuck with burning av has. I been thinking about just going the 160hp route and just mix fuel 70/30. Any experience burning 87 octane in 8.5:1 compresion or higher motors?

Works just fine. I think it is better for the engine (less lead to mess with the plugs and valves) I have heard of some guys even running straight 90 Octaine with no problems.
    DENNY

I have read mixing or running 90 octane works great but what about that time your out in the sticks and you can only get 87?? Can you just top it off and not worry about detonation or do you gotta run home with your tail tucked between your legs? I know lycoming says 8.5:1 and above run only 100ll but back when these motors where built I doubt it was a easy task getting 100ll.. has anyone up here had detonation from low octane or is this cause of some guy in Texas that was running in 115 degree weather and ended up having his motor go to hell?? Reason I am asking is cause I wanna know all the real world trueth before I go with a higher compresion motor. Here in Cordova it's either 80/87 octane or av gas. I don't have a problem running av gas or mixing it but don't wanna get stuck with my pants down some day cause I can't get av gas.. thanks for all the replies
    Tim

Do a search and see what AV GAS was recommended when the motor came out. It was not just 100LL if I am correct.
    DENNY

Carry ten gallons of avgas in cans and blend it in when you refill in the bush
    DENNY