Thread: Upper Kenai - Lake to Sportsman's

Default Upper Kenai - Lake to Sportsman's

I'm thinking of floating the Kenai from the lake outlet in Cooper Landing to Sportsman's tomorrow - anyone float it recently? Anything to watch out for other than the water being pretty skinny?

Thanks!
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyo2AK View Post
    I'm thinking of floating the Kenai from the lake outlet in Cooper Landing to Sportsman's tomorrow - anyone float it recently? Anything to watch out for other than the water being pretty skinny?

Thanks!
    A buddy of mine went down there about a week ago. He said he did really well just downstream from the Cooper Landing put-in. Then he drove down to Skilak Lake and floated down into the lower and did well also. He mentioned that the lakes are mostly open. That's all I know.

Thanks, Jack. I saw your post yesterday morning and appreciated you passing along what you'd heard.

We put in at Cooper Landing and fished around the bridge for a bit, getting a few takers on fry patterns and beads. Picked up one more rainbow on the way down to Sportsman's on a stonefly nymph. Float was fine, though a bit bony as expected this time of year - definitely needed to keep alert for rocks at these flows.

Cheers,
    Rich
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

How is the water for drifting from Sportsman's to Jim's Landing right about now? I'm thinking about hitting it tomorrow.