Thread: swing door to sliding?

Default swing door to sliding?

The door on my 22' HC eats up 1/4 of my deck when open. It also cuts off a seat on the deck on the port side. I have plenty of room between the rear bulkhead and stern end bench seat for the width of the door to fit. I'd like to craft a floor track so the door can tuck nicely in the cabin and out of the way. Anyone do something like this? How about track systems you might have on your boat?

I'd call Hewes. They are offering sliding doors as an option on several boats now--only on ones without a head door right next to the cabin door.

Bet they could sell you the tracks, heck, bet even the door and lock too.

We just got a new HC and if I had ordered the boat to my specifications, would certainly have cone the sliding route. Big space saver for sure--but this one already has the traditional swinging version.

Please update if you make the swap, would love to see/hear how the conversion turns out and rough cost estimate.
    Since the World is 2/3 Water and Only 1/3 Land, Figures the Good Lord Intended I Fish More Than I Plow.

I remember seeing this done on a couple different boats on different forums. I think once at least on the Hewes Owners Forum. Should be an easy change without a rear door for a head.

just get yourself some UHMW plastic and build a couple of tracks for the door to slide on. I built the slide for the my door out of scrap pieces of plastic from CAC Plastics in wasilla. You could also use some trex decking from hommies.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

You might check "Dale" on the owners forum

Yep, U channel upper and lower tracks (one deeper than the other) uhmw inserts.
    Check out Quickwater Adventure water taxi/transport services: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Quick...37553606260978

Thought I'd update on my swing door. IMG_5795.jpgIMG_5827.jpg

Looks great ! what did you end up using for tracks ??

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Default Sliding Door Mod & Materials

I've received a couple of private messages regarding the tracks I did on the boat for the sliding door-I'll respond here for any others that are looking at this mod.

The biggest challenge was mounting the door as the bulkhead slopes downward toward the port side. So instead of a top-mount I designed a back mount. You can see in the pic a cut of wood that I bolted to the top side of the bulkhead wall. The track bolted to the block and another track on the bottom of the door which is visible in the pic. I unscrewed the bench seats and move them back about 3" each and moved the port side seat forward about an inch to allow space for the door to slide behind it. The expense was that of the top and lower tracks, the door carrier that mounts to the bottom of the door and slides in the lower track, the roller balls and the stops for the ends of the track. I also mounted door hook pins inside and outside of the cabin to keep the door open and closed, depending on my needs, as it liked to slide back and forth when running in any chop. I'll ad that after I bolted the wood block Boat Outfitters sent me a piece of UHMW that was the same size as the block. They sent it to me after I talked with a salesman on the phone about the mod but I received it after installing the block already and I didn't want to deal with disassembly and reassembly with the UHMW. Materials needed were the following at www.boatoutfitters.com as well as links for the track and bottom carrier:

Roller Ball Sliding Door Track
    160-5505-43
    Size: 43"
    $64.50
    (2)

Delrin Roller Balls
    089-10302
    $7.50
    (2)

Sliding Door Glide Blocks - Standard
    089-10307
    $15.50
    (2)

Roller Ball Lower Carrier End Caps
    089-10304
    $7.25
    (2)

Roller Ball Lower Carrier
    160-5506-21.5
    Size: 21.5"
    $32.25
    (1)

Cut to Size White/White King Starboard Plastic Sheet
    13770-42001
    Routed Edge?: Raw Cut
    Length: 21.5
    Width: 4
    Thickness: 1
    Starting at $7 sq/ft
    (1)

http://www.boatoutfitters.com/store/...oor-Track.html

http://www.boatoutfitters.com/store/...r-Carrier.html

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Looks great ! what did you end up using for tracks ??
    IMG_5827.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by timinhomer View Post
    I've received a couple of private messages regarding the tracks I did on the boat for the sliding door-I'll respond here for any others that are looking at this mod.

The biggest challenge was mounting the door as the bulkhead slopes downward toward the port side. So instead of a top-mount I designed a back mount. You can see in the pic a cut of wood that I bolted to the top side of the bulkhead wall. The track bolted to the block and another track on the bottom of the door which is visible in the pic. I unscrewed the bench seats and move them back about 3" each and moved the port side seat forward about an inch to allow space for the door to slide behind it. The expense was that of the top and lower tracks, the door carrier that mounts to the bottom of the door and slides in the lower track, the roller balls and the stops for the ends of the track. I also mounted door hook pins inside and outside of the cabin to keep the door open and closed, depending on my needs, as it liked to slide back and forth when running in any chop. I'll ad that after I bolted the wood block Boat Outfitters sent me a piece of UHMW that was the same size as the block. They sent it to me after I talked with a salesman on the phone about the mod but I received it after installing the block already and I didn't want to deal with disassembly and reassembly with the UHMW. Materials needed were the following at www.boatoutfitters.com as well as links for the track and bottom carrier:

Roller Ball Sliding Door Track
    160-5505-43
    Size: 43"
    $64.50
    (2)

Delrin Roller Balls
    089-10302
    $7.50
    (2)

Sliding Door Glide Blocks - Standard
    089-10307
    $15.50
    (2)

Roller Ball Lower Carrier End Caps
    089-10304
    $7.25
    (2)

Roller Ball Lower Carrier
    160-5506-21.5
    Size: 21.5"
    $32.25
    (1)

Cut to Size White/White King Starboard Plastic Sheet
    13770-42001
    Routed Edge?: Raw Cut
    Length: 21.5
    Width: 4
    Thickness: 1
    Starting at $7 sq/ft
    (1)

http://www.boatoutfitters.com/store/...oor-Track.html

http://www.boatoutfitters.com/store/...r-Carrier.html

IMG_5827.jpg
    Thanks For the info , did you fab something so the door locks unfortunately we have people with sticky finger here