Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: To bottom paint, or not to bottom paint

Default To bottom paint, or not to bottom paint

I will be leaving my boat in the water this year for the first time. I am looking for opinions if I should bottom paint my boat or not. I have searched and read many posts on the subject, but I am still undecided.

Most people say to paint it. But, a few people who's opinions I respect are in the minority group, saying not to paint it...just to pull it out and clean it occasionally.

What does everyone think? Getting it professionally done sounds very expensive (quoted $4200). Will I be OK if I don't paint it, and clean it every so often? Or will I regret that decision and wish I would have painted it?

This is for a glass boat that will be docked in Whittier.

Thanks for your inputs!!

AkBillyBow
    2007 Glacier Bay Cat 2690 Coastal Runner, Twin Honda 150's

just put it on the trailer when you see to much grass growing on it and spray the bottom down with clorox bleach. Use one of those pump up garden sprayers. Let it work for a hour or less dump it back in and all the junk falls off. In the 20 years i fished my bowpicker in the sound i never painted the bottom. Make sure all your zincs are in good shape and working that harbor is pretty hot. call me if you have any questions 775-1692
    Steve

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Paint it yourself! 4200 bucks is crazy unless it's the Tustumena. The question is how long is long? I can pretty much guarantee that if you leave your boat in the water for five years unpainted you would get tired of 'occasionally cleaning' the bottom. A hull that is not painted will grow a forest in the summer months here. There are great antifouling paints for wood and glass:

http://www.westmarine.com/WestAdviso...ottom-Painting

I was once the haul and scrape kinda guy but not anymore. I say scrape because if you miss a few to many 'occasional' haulings you'll become acquainted with the encrusting bryozoans and barnykills (I have to spell it that way!). No amount of spraying anything removes those creatures.

I agree with Potbuilder.
    Use the bleach and replace your zinc's as needed.
    I added on zinc's to my trim tabs.
    They make zinc's that attached to the mounting hinge screws.

http://www.boatzincs.com/bennett-trim-tab-zinc-anode-kit.html

If you decide on Anti-fouling paint it's not like house paint you will still need to clean the bottom just not as often. Touch up the paint around the water line when needed and repaint every two or three years. Assuming it was done correctly with the best anti-fouling paint for the area.

Talk too the local slip owners to get an idea of how often they clean their boats with and with/out anti-fouling paint. If you don't want to DIY you can have a diver clean the bottom for you.

I use a cooper based antifouling paint. Weed free last year. Just a few touch up areas from branches and I am ready to go this year.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Seems no one saw that it's a cat hull
    Lots more work to prep and paint than a single hull, I used to bottom paint for a local shop here.
    I'm on 3rd year of bottom paint, boat is in water and used year round, not sure why you wouldn't paint it. Stuff still grows (very slowly) but much easier to remove and I only have to lightly power wash it twice a year and it's a breeze, no bleach, no anything. Tryin to remember but I think I also picked up a knot or more in speed after painting. Also like copper said, it's not just the green stuff that grows, the hard crusty critters can be a real pita to remove on untreated surfaces.
    Course you could always walk around the harbor and just look at boats at/under the waterline and see what the scene is there; here in Homer it's just crazy to not bottom paint.
    The gillnetters I was on had bottom paint but some of these are boats in the water year round also in other fisheries, not just the summer rec/gillnet season.
    Check out Quickwater Adventure water taxi/transport services: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Quick...37553606260978

If you do paint and your hull isn't laid up with vinylester resin, you should have a barrier coat put on to help prevent blisters. Also, you'll need to keep it in good shape. My 13 year old boat now needs to have the paint stripped because the old paint is flaking off in spots. Talk about a PITA! Also make sure you get an extra gallon of the paint if you don't do it yourself. Some bottom paints aren't compatible so you don't want to find out the hard way.

Thanks everyone for your replies !! Still trying to make a decision. I may just put it in the water as-is for a month or two and use the bleach spray.... as a test run to see what I think.

I am a do-it yourselfer....but I really don't have the tools or knowledge to jack this heavy boat up off the trailer. I guess I need to research it more.

Thanks .....AkBillyBow

I agree with potbuilder. Trailer it a couple times a year and a weed sprayer with bleach. Done deal.

Is there any place that rents the boat stands used to rest the boat on when removing it from the trailer? That would be my first step in doing it myself.

Thanks !!!

I would think using barrows or wooden blocks under the hull would work.

Quote Originally Posted by AkBillyBow View Post
    Is there any place that rents the boat stands used to rest the boat on when removing it from the trailer? That would be my first step in doing it myself.

Thanks !!!
    Stands are only used to support the boat once the keel or in your case keels are on blocks. If you need to borrow some i have some but they might be to tall for your boat. I'd think getting the keels on some pipe rollers would make getting it off the trailer easy.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Use the grid. If you are worried about where the grid touches your boat and not being able to power wash those spots do two tides at the grid. Probably can't use Potbuilder's bleach at the grid though.

3 & 4 bowpickers on the grid in cordova all using bleach nobody ever said a word. Can't be any worse than using a power washer to blast off chunks of bottom paint ?

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Can't be any worse than using a power washer to blast off chunks of bottom paint ?

Who all has grids in South Centra? Cordova does Seward doesn't, Homer? Valdez?

Quote Originally Posted by kodiak kid View Post
    Who all has grids in South Centra? Cordova does Seward doesn't, Homer? Valdez?
    Seldovia does.
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Homer and Whitter both do.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Valdez does.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast