Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 45 colt 454 casull boolet size

Default 45 colt 454 casull boolet size

I own three guns that I want to use cast boolets in and after reading several articles, I'm a little confused on what diameter boolet to buy. I want to purchase some at first to see what works best for me and I am hoping that i can use the same bullet for all guns. I slugged all of the barrels and cylinder throats. The first is a FA model 83 with a cylinder throat of .4525 and groove diameter of .4525. Next is a Rossi M92 carbine that slugged at .452. Last is a new Bisley Blackhawk with cylinder throats at .453 and groove diameter of .4505. With the Bisley there is a pretty tight restriction that I plan on working over by fire lapping.
    I've heard everything from going with the the cylinder throat diameter to .002 over. I like to use a 255 gr pb bullet for plinking and then have been using 300gr jacketed boolets for hunting deer, black bear and carrying for brownbear protection. It sounds like there are some advantages with using cast for my hunting/protection purposes and want to try some out. I would like to try some lead in the 325-335 gr and in the revolvers I want to run them in the 1100-1200fps and my carbine usually gets me another 300ish fps more. Should I use gc or can I get by with pb boolets? What diameters should I try first? .452, .453 or .454
    Thanks

Size your bullets so they're a snug fit in your throats. If you can push them through with very firm finger pressure that's good. You can probably get away with PB's depending on alloy, except that the constriction in the Ruger bore may cause leading, and 1500 in the carbine might be pushing it for PB's. I have a Ruger with thread crush constriction and ultimately settled on GC's which solved my issue completely and it's a very accurate shooter. If it were me I'd go with GC's across the board and not think twice about it.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I would probably go with 453 or even 454 if the loaded rounds will fit in the cylinders/chamber.

I guess I'll start with some .453 and see how it goes. I don't cast my own yet so I have to order and shoot some. It seems odd that not too many places offer different sizes.

...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    #Resist

Kobuk - I am in town this week (south anchorage). If you want I can give you a handful of three different flavors to try for the .45.

I have a 250gr round nose, 250 gr flat nose, and 330 gr flat nose. All cast from http://brooksmoulds.com/. None are gas checks.

.0015 to .002 over what your bore measures will usually work pretty good.

When you get a mold get one that casts a bit bigger than what you want as a final size. It's a lot easier to make them smaller and more round than to try to make them bigger. You can size a boolit smaller by 2 or 3 thou real easy. Adding any amount is difficult without expensive equipment. Although your pistols at 1100/1200 probably won't need gas checks the Rossi at 1500 probably will benefit from a GC. And yes you can shoot a GC boolit with out the GC although the velocity limits will be lower.

A lubersizer is the way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolits??? I've seen posts on other sites where members refer to bullets as boolits. Seems silly to me. 5th grade really. BULLETS. If you want a serious answer, ask it in a serious way.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Some folks just don't know the difference between a bullet and a boolit. They are not the same thing. If a fellow had made it through the 6th grade he might have learned the difference. A bullet has a jacket, a boolit does not.

Well live and learn then.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    Kobuk - I am in town this week (south anchorage). If you want I can give you a handful of three different flavors to try for the .45.

I have a 250gr round nose, 250 gr flat nose, and 330 gr flat nose. All cast from http://brooksmoulds.com/. None are gas checks.
    Bullelkklr
    Thanks for the offer, I would love to buy a samlping from you. It would be a great way to see how my guns likes different rounds. I did order some gas checked boolets/bullets also at .453 to try. After reading some articles on casting, it does get a little intimidating with all of the different alloys, lubes etc. but if I can find a 250ish and 325ish grain mould that my guns like, I think it would be fun to try! I'll send you a PM.
    On a side note, I wasn't trying to offend anyone with the use of boolet terminology. I did pick that up from other casters and didn't see any harm in the word.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    Well live and learn then.
    Well then don't feel alone there SmokeRoss....I just learned that I never made it through the 6th grade either....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

It is an internet chat forum, not 7th grade English class! Chill

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Well then don't feel alone there SmokeRoss....I just learned that I never made it through the 6th grade either....
    I made it through, but must have skipped the day the teacher talked about boolits and bullets. I was probably out hunting with my dad.

Just for the record....the correct spelling is Boolitz

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    It is an internet chat forum, not 7th grade English class! Chill
    Amen!
    You know when folks give answers like this:
    "Boolits??? I've seen posts on other sites where members refer to bullets as boolits. Seems silly to me. 5th grade really. BULLETS. If you want a serious answer, ask it in a serious way. "

People get on here to talk about bullets/boolits, guns and such and attitudes like that could possibly keep folks from participating in the form because they don't want to hassle with the self proclaimed English professor. Kind of a a shame if you ask me, and don't really give two hoots if you care what I think but like Bullelkklr said lighten up and give folks a chance to ask question without worrying about how they spell stuff or how they type.
    Spelling has absolutely nothing to do with bullet size or casting bullets/boolits!

Mike

Hunting is better than school any day. Sorry no offense meant. Just couldn't help my self. The folks at my school didn't teach anything important anyway. I got my info directly from the folks at "Cast Boolits". They of course are the final authority on the subject.
    Basically shoot the largest Boolit you can chamber in a loaded round. The throat/forcing cone will size it down to fit. If you have a tightness at the barrel thread shank that opens up for the rest of the barrel it's not difficult to fire lap this out. A bullet that is too small and lets gas past will lead the barrel. Fit is King. A couple of reasons cast is better than jacketed is cost and the ability to fit a casting to the gun. At hand gun velocities the jacket doesn't help much and you are stuck with the sizes that are available without buying very expensive swaging equipment. Besides casting is fun.

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    ...They of course are the final authority on the subject.
    ...Not sure they're the final authority ...A bunch of them (the better spellers?) bailed and went here: www.artfulbullet.com
    Basically shoot the largest Boolit you can chamber in a loaded round. The throat/forcing cone will size it down to fit.
    My .45 prefers cast bullets that fit the throats (.452) I can chamber .453+, but those tend to cause leading....
    Fit is King.
    Agreed.
    #Resist

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast