Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maiden Voyage--Hewes 240 Shakedown

Default Maiden Voyage--Hewes 240 Shakedown

So picked up our new Hewescraft 240 Explorer yesterday for a quick overnight voyage to break in and shakedown. Between the Wallas and Espar it made for a toasty night in Pigot bay even as the snow flurried.

Couple shots right as the sun was coming up a little bit ago. Still laying here in bed, enjoying the heaters and the views--figured since service was so good, I'd share.
    Since the World is 2/3 Water and Only 1/3 Land, Figures the Good Lord Intended I Fish More Than I Plow.

Nice way to start the season. Congrats and enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now that is cool. Enjoy the new boat and thanks for the real time post.

So as the lights leaking into the bay it was too pretty not to share a couple more.

Since the World is 2/3 Water and Only 1/3 Land, Figures the Good Lord Intended I Fish More Than I Plow.

Very nice boat!
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

Nice boat. We need details, man.

And what's for breakfast?
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Congrats, I cant wait to get out there myself. You picked a perfect first trip it looks like

good luck with the new rig !!

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Beautiful, pretty jealous.

MEH!!
    It's OK.

Nice rig brother!!!!

Congrats on the new boat, you can't go wrong with a PE 👍 Nice pics too, wishing I was on the water today.

Hmmm--details. It's a 2016 Hewescraft 240 Pacific Explorer, so shorter cabin but 11" longer deck space over the 26'. Twin 150's as you can see in the iPhone pics above. Wallas cooktop and an Espar D4 to keep us toasty. Garmin 7610xsv with radar and at some point chirp / downview. This trip we had to stick to an anchorage I knew well because of no tranducer on the boat--that part is back ordered and awaiting arrival.

Put almost 6 hours on the boat and it ran awesome. We slept comfortably. Both heater and cooktop were simply great.

With two friends a full tank of gas and couple small coolers, I did notice my scuppers falling below the waterline anytime one of us went to a back corner. So bit worried what it will be like with bigger coolers, bigger friends, additional fuel cube or two. We never saw any water backflow from the bailing scuppers, but when I'd step the transom for a leak, if anyone else was on deck, the scupper cup would be fully submerged.

When we pulled the boat and dropped the plug, I also got about 2 gallons of water draining out. I noticed it in the hull. Not sure if the rain found its way down around the self-bailing deck, or if one of the two sealed screw holes (from the transducer that was removed) leaked a bit or around the plug (noticed the plug hole a fair bit larger than the plug itself--so really torqued it down)--but water came in from somewhere. Certainly would hope no leaks in the hull itself. Never heard or noticed the bilge pumps kick on, I tried them manually when I noticed the water before turning in, but with the boat on the water, wasn't enough for the, to pick up apparently. I could hear them kick on. So we'll see next go round.

Did you log any fuel numbers during break in?

I did not actually log anything--since in my haste to make it to Anchorage and back to Whittier between work and tunnel--left the boats new log book on my office desk. I did take note however. I was seeing 2.0-2.1 miles per gallon across a wide range, pretty fast sweet spot at 2.2-2.3 mpg and a slow-roll speed that gave 2.7 mpg.

Really didn't focus on the economy as much this trip--just following the break in and figuring out twins for the first time, which port engine control isn't as responsive as the starboard--so the same movement in each equates to more throttle on the right than left. Noted differences in the motors's gauge trim height too--so using the control pods single/sync trim button, starboard would show more adjustment than the port on the gauges--both looked same in the rear and performed fine, but several bars difference on the gauge.

So with all the other mental notes and questions--my fuel economy took little back seat.

A lot to take in first day out--and the twin outboards a little different than the I/O of our prior Seasport.

A couple other things to check for water leaking into the bilge. 1) The hatch cover in the little platform by the transom door. A couple of us have changed hinges and/or changed the rubber moulding under this cover or both. 2) Screw holes at some of the hatch latches may need to be caulked. I had one on the center hatch cover latch that leaked pretty good during the first heavy rain. A little 4200 solved that problem. Saying this, I have to add that I don't get more than a cup or so of water in the bilge in a couple months. I believe, mostly to using the wash down sprayer more than I need to at times. See if you can get a tighter fitting plug.

Building down the transom box should lift the stern 2+ inches.

Nice looking boat!

Very cool!!!! Yeah check the above mentioned for seals and leaks, 2 gals on an overnite trip and rain not super concerning.
    The throttle differences I think are normal, my boat is the same, early on I tried to mess with linkage travel & binacle adjustment, got better but it's just 2 separate outboards controlled by cables, also it's all brand new stuff and might "wear" in as time goes on.
    Scupper/deck height issues are design issues at the factory level. Like Yanert said, extend the bottom hull below the transom extension and box in for more floatation.
    Check out Quickwater Adventure water taxi/transport services: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Quick...37553606260978

I took Yanert's advice and boxed in my lower transom, its one of the best mods I made. I had the same problem when I had any weight at all on the back end, but I actually had water coming back through the scuppers and a decent amount on the back deck. haven't had any water on the deck since I boxed in the transom, and that was with 4 adults and 2 coolers in the cockpit.

I too had a little bit of water in the bilge when I first picked up the boat. Found that Hewes didn't seal the scuppers up well when they ran the screws in. A little bit of RTV and I am now water tight. Just something else to look for...

Good luck, and have fun, its a great boat.

Ronster did ya box in the whole width of the hull and extend the bottom or just the actual extended bracket itself?
    Check out Quickwater Adventure water taxi/transport services: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Quick...37553606260978

Ronstar and couple others have boxed in just the width of the bracket down level with the bottom--so hull just extends back, just not as wide.

Attachment 88827
    Correct, I just extended the bottom of the boat immediately under the transom. It works extremely well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast