Thread: Drill or not to drill?

Default Drill or not to drill?

Advice needed! I am about to mount a 30 hp outboard motor on my Zodiac style inflatable boat. Should I drill the transom and attach the outboard with the 4 bolts or should I just use the quick-style turnbuckles that I can tighten by hand? The motor weighs 163 lbs. I really don't want to drill holes in the wooden transom, but if it is a safety issue, I will.

Charterboat Operator

i would use the turn buckles, and perhaps just for grins, drill a hole with an eye bolt to put a safety chain thru.
    i ran one many years ago with a 35 on it and never bolted it on.
    fwiw

If you don't plan on removing the motor often, go with the bolts. Will the boat be trailered? The vibration of trailering or towing or just boating can loosen those turnbuckles. The bolts with nylon nuts won't come loose.

Good points by others however, you will NEVER get something that heavy (been there) aboard with just a safety line. Bolt it, the wood part is an issue but if you just use the top holes and thumbscrews it won't be.

I have an Achilles SX 15-6. When I got it it had a Nissan 40hp with turnbuckles. I took it off every once in a while to take out the aluminum floor and inspect and clean under it. Then I got a Suzuki 50hp 2 stoke that had turnbuckles but I bolted it on with a 2x6 riser. Now I have a Yamaha 50 4 stroke that is bolted. I wish it was easier to remove to check under the floor boards if needed. My advice, use the turnbuckles. Check the tightness as part of your launch procedure and all will be well. long story for a short answer!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks to all for replies!
    Yes, the boat will be trailered. The outboard will stay on the boat most of the summer and will be taken off for winter storage.

Quote Originally Posted by ftaba1 View Post
    Thanks to all for replies!
    Yes, the boat will be trailered. The outboard will stay on the boat most of the summer and will be taken off for winter storage.
    Use the turnbuckles but tighten and turn them inwards so that u can strap them together once tight. Strapping them will insure that they don't vibrate loose.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Please, if you give examples, include the weight of the motor in your response.

Quote Originally Posted by cod View Post
    Use the turnbuckles but tighten and turn them inwards so that u can strap them together once tight. Strapping them will insure that they don't vibrate loose.
    40 horse Tahatsu on my 15.5 ft Achilles.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Id drill it and seal the wood with a marine caulk take a little longer for a thief to steal it. Lots of outboards stolen around Anchorage.

Quote Originally Posted by ftaba1 View Post
    Advice needed! I am about to mount a 30 hp outboard motor on my Zodiac style inflatable boat. Should I drill the transom and attach the outboard with the 4 bolts or should I just use the quick-style turnbuckles that I can tighten by hand? The motor weighs 163 lbs. I really don't want to drill holes in the wooden transom, but if it is a safety issue, I will.
    I would not put bolts through it. Mine has bolts through it at it looks rough. Im not a carpenter but, might hear a big boom and the transom might split don't know what kind of board it is made out of. Very unlikely. I have an old Achilles with a 35hp 2 stroke. Im adding an 1/8" ss plate or 1/4" Al plate to my transom because it is an old 84 or 89.

Someone mentioned an eye bolt. I would never use a lug style or screw I wouldn't trust that I think it could rip out. I would bolt through with a nut and stainless. I anti seize the threads also stainless is know for seizing up.

Fish on Folks!!!