Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Boat On the Way! North River Seahawk Hardtop

Default New Boat On the Way! North River Seahawk Hardtop

Placed an order for a new boat this morning with Mel at Alaska Frontier Fabrication. This boat was different because with my past boats the price kept going up and up with every option I kept adding. I've been without a boat for two years now and tried to go minimalistic with the fancy features on this one, instead putting the money into functional stuff. This one should meet my needs very well without being overboard.

I ordered the newly re-designed Seahawk Hardtop. http://www.northriverboats.com/recre...seahawkhardtop I'm going with the 22 foot model. I looked at a couple other similar boats, like the Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220, but I was really surprised at how many things this boat had standard that were options on others (like suspension seats, trim tabs, etc.). For me and three friends to fish, this boat should be sufficient. The maximum horsepower rating is 300 hp and I maxed it out with twin Yamaha 150's.

A couple of other options:
    Upgraded trailer rating
    Yamaha 6YC gauge system
    Sleeper cushions with aluminum support bars that go between the bench seats
    Boarding ladder
    Roof and side mounted rod holders
    Dual batteries with ACR
    Wash down pump
    In-floor fish box
    Full aluminum floors with non-skid coating
    Alaska Frontier Fabrication anchor winch system

I got very lucky and there was an opening in the production schedule. The boat is expected to be done by June 5th and in state by mid-June.

I've had electronics installed by the dealer on my past boats, but on this one I'm going to tackle it myself. My electronics plans is:
    Garmin 7612xsv chart plotter (maybe 7610xsv depending on size)
    Garmin GT51M transducer with spray shield
    Garmin 18 xHD radar
    Airmar TM185C-M transducer
    Garmin NMEA 2000 starter kit
    Garmin VHF200 radio
    Shakespeare 5225XP 8 antenna with 4187HD mount

I'm also going to add two windshield fans, a Planar 44D heater (I know, it's probably overkill), and a pair of Scotty 2106B downriggers. Before next year I'll pick up an Ace Line Hauler.

Mel and I were able to work out what I thought was a very fair deal. Shipping on his boats to Alaska is included in the price; which cost me a few grand on the last boat I had sent up. I would recommend him to anyone looking for a boat.

I'll update the thread with pictures when it goes into production sometime mid-next month.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

Congrats brother looks like a very nice boat.
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

Congrats, looks like its gonna be a nice boat.

And the cost?

Base price is $52k, motors are another $24k. With everything the total bill is $96k. My experience is the options are always what get you, and I chose a couple expensive ones like the full aluminum flooring (but I really hate wood in the flooring, especially in the fishing cockpit) and the anchor winch. A guy could get into this boat for $80k really nicely equipped.

I waffled back and forth between a big single and a kicker (300 and 9.9) vs the twins, which would've saved me about $6k. The boat comes set up for the big single and kicker (bracket is standard); the twin set up on the extended transom is another $1500 plus the cost of the motors and rigging. I've seen boats in this class sold with just a single 150 and online reports are that they do ok (some even have a 115), so that finalized my decision...if one motor goes down I won't have any problem getting on plane and back to port. Also Yamaha's Variable Trolling feature on the 150 will still allow me to troll for salmon, so it takes care of the need for a kicker, and I don't troll very much.

Looks awesome, fuel numbers when you get em please. Where you gonna use the boat mostly?
    No such thing as overkill on a heater, especially fishing in the winter!
    Don't troll very much but ya sprung for electric downriggers? Right! You'll be down here trollin with the rest of us because it's a shame to not fisf all year long. I cringe seeing boats laid up for the "winter"!!!!!!
    On the trim tabs, what's the tab size? Seems a cheapo trend on ALL the boat companies is to put the smallest possible tabs on a boat.
    If there's an option have em put the biggest models that will fit, it's much more efficient and not wasting fuel and hp to just tab a little compared to maxing the rams out to get a hull response. This is a big deal and nothing worse than "wondering" if your trim tabs are doing anything.
    Most boat companies/owners/employees don't make a year round living running their own boats, we do and these are things that matter.
    I've got charter friends who fish with me often and these guys typically run BayWelds, bigger glass boats and generally a lot bigger boats than my 24' Alaskan and everyone comments on how decent the boat runs/rides. It's all in how you run it, just don't "point and shoot" and the tabs are a big part of a great ride.
    Sorry to get on a rant about this but it's one of the most overlooked items on a boat beside the correct props which also surprisingly most people dont take the time to get figured out.
    Check out Quickwater Adventure water taxi/transport services: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Quick...37553606260978

Mostly I'll be in Seward because I really like it there, but I also hit Whittier for shrimp in the spring and have hit Homer a couple of times for winter kings.

Don't know on the size of the trim tabs. I was actually a bit surprised they included them on a boat this small. Not a whole heck of a lot of room on the back with the twins, so I don't know if there's room to upgrade or if it's even needed. In the past I've only used the tabs when going through chop to bring the bow down.

My last boat was an Alaskan that I had to let go before I was ready to, but that's life. If I still had it I wouldn't be getting this one. I wanted a Bay Weld with all the bells and whistles, but that's not in the cards right now.

Worth every penny you spent!! You should be just fine trolling with a 150. I have my new build coming in on April 6th and also went with the 7612 xsv Garmin. It looks pretty good how they mounted it in my dash. you can see it in my forum of the Weldcraft 30' build. I'll be taking it out on the 8th for its first trip.

I won't be able to flush mount the 7612 like you did on yours, so it'll be bail mount on top of the dash. I really want the 12" screen, but I'm worried about how much it will obstruct the view. I'm going to wait till the boat arrives and then mock up the mounting to see how it looks.

What are you using for the sonar box on this setup? I upgraded to the GSD-26 last year when I updated my boat & electronics - it is way better than the GSD-24 that I had on my SeaRunner. You shouldn't have much of an issue with the 12" screen I've had one in my SeaRunner & in the NR Offshore & had no problem seeing around them in either boat. Will you be able to network your OB's to the nmea 2k network? It's nice to get all of your engine info right up on the plotter screen.

BTW - thanks for the tip on the TM185C transducer on the other forum. We'll be in Seward all summer so give us a shout on the VHF when you get your boat down there. If you get the boat in early June you should almost have it broke in by the time the 1st silvers start showing up along the outer parts of the bay.....
    2007 24ft NorthRiver OS
    Twin 175 Suzuki's
    "Thunderbird"
    MMSI #338033856

Think I would have went with the 300hp and a kicker if you plan on trolling, keeps the hours off the mains. It will be hard to get on plane with just one motor due to the 1000# hanging back there, you'll probably have to change props to do it. Nice boat though.

Awesome looking rig, I'm jealous, have fun!!!
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by akdeweyj View Post
    What are you using for the sonar box on this setup?
    The 7612xsv comes with the GDS25 sonar built in. It's not as nice as the 26 for really deep stuff, but it will do for the depth I normally fish.

On our new Pacific Explorer we had them take out the 741 and went with the 7610xsv (still waiting on the transducer to come in) and its mounted on top of the dash. It certainly takes up some real estate and wouldn't want to have to look around a 16-20" big screen, but bet you'll be more than happy wth it. I have bad eyes and knew the 7" just wasn't going to cut it. The 9" raymarine we had in our Seasport was perfect, so wanted To stick around that size.

With these new touchscreen units, the cool thing is they are almost all screen, so compact for their size. If you compare the actual demons ions of the 7610xvs to previous 10" display units, and 7612 to previous 12" units--you'll quickly see what I mean. Without the extra thick bezel area around the outside and extended area for all the buttons, you end up with a really compact box for the corresponding display size.

I almost went with the 7612, but on the layout on my boat, the windshields are fairly high in the cabin, so the 10" is obstructive enough. Would be a no brainer if could have flush mounted into the dash. In the few hours I've played with it--all in the radar and plotting portions--have been very pleased on its ease of use and speed.
    Since the World is 2/3 Water and Only 1/3 Land, Figures the Good Lord Intended I Fish More Than I Plow.

On the trim tab issue, for boat performance and customizing your ride in quartering waves, nothing is as important or effective as proper tabs. Besides the RIGHT props for the boat, tabs are what makes it all happen. I'll never have a boat without em, nothing more irritating than a listing or pounding boat due to gear or people all over the place or having to alter your course in chop or wakes just because you want the ride better.
    I've got people on my boat all year long that have boats that had no idea what proper props, trimming out the motors and tabs can do. Just my opinion but it all pays off at the fuel dock running 1200 or more hrs year round.
    I'd be surprised if a single 150 couldn't get a 22' boat on step but if not a very "easily" pitched spare alum prop like a 13" or 15" on one motor should do it.
    Check out Quickwater Adventure water taxi/transport services: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Quick...37553606260978

I am thinking you should upgrade to a larger fuel tank. 80 gallons will go quick if you get into those twin 150s too often!!

AkBillyBow
    2007 Glacier Bay Cat 2690 Coastal Runner, Twin Honda 150's

Totally agree on the fuel tank. I have 90 gallons and quite often wish I had more. I carrry 2 15 gallon tanks when I head to the eastern sound or too much past Day Harbor out of Seward. Of course more is always better when it comes to gas...but IMO 120 gallons is about right.
    The Tug is the Drug
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    2007 Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore - Evinrude Etec 225 - "Eagle VI"

No option to upgrade the tank. Believe me, I would if I could. My plan is to haul two 15 gallon fuel containers with me as my reserve.

That will work. If there is no available option....nothing more you can do. Congrats on the new boat!! I am sure you are excited!!
    2007 Glacier Bay Cat 2690 Coastal Runner, Twin Honda 150's

If you don't have the fuel cans yet, check out the Flo-Fast brand of tanks. They are tall so they don't take up as much deck space as the more horizontal ones and the handles make them easier to move around.
    The Tug is the Drug
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    2007 Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore - Evinrude Etec 225 - "Eagle VI"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast