Thread: Keeping Guns Outside Cabin

Default Keeping Guns Outside Cabin

Why do most people I see on TV keep there guns outside there cabins on the porch? It it cause going from cold to warm cabin creates condensation in the gun? Just curious...

Because it's TV. That's all I got.

YES.......exactly. You might as well dip it in water, as bring it into the cabin. The biggest problem is that if you live at a cabin, and take the gun out regularly, and back inside, you will have water in the trigger assembly and the firing pin area. Both can cause failure to fire if the water freezes. Also not real great for the cartridges to go back and forth freezing to 75 degrees day after day after day. However; a discrete location like in the woodpile or hanging muzzle down on the back of a tree or the outhouse, would help retain ownership now days.

Quote Originally Posted by TwinTrapper View Post
    Why do most people I see on TV keep there guns outside there cabins on the porch? It it cause going from cold to warm cabin creates condensation in the gun? Just curious...

I lived in two Eskimo villages. The guys I knew cleaned the guns with gas, wiped them down and stored them outside. Condensation is your enemy.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

ok thanks for input i figured condensation was the key factor.

There is a simple solution to this. Put the gun in a soft case before you take it inside. This protects it from condensation and allows the firearm to warm slowly. Most guns I've seen that have come out of the villages are poorly maintained, if at all. Condensation is the least of the worries. Just my experience.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    There is a simple solution to this. Put the gun in a soft case before you take it inside. This protects it from condensation and allows the firearm to warm slowly. Most guns I've seen that have come out of the villages are poorly maintained, if at all. Condensation is the least of the worries. Just my experience.
    I think this allows the soft case to soak up the condensation then create a nightmare of rust.

screwedbygoogle
    original username modified by google

I do most of my Alaskan hunting with a Mod. 70 "Stainless Classic" that wears a Bansners synthetic stock. when I go into the wall tent the gun comes with me and I wipe off the condensation. The bolt easily field strips with out tools so it can be wiped down and the old style Winchester triggers don't trap water because they are designed as a hunting trigger should be. If I have my 1895 Marlin 45-70 in the tent my Mod. 70 will stay in a Koplin scabbard on my ATV.

I grew up hunting with an old modified Springfield 03A3 30-06 with blued steel and walnut stock. We wiped it down with what ever was handy, except in winter months the firing pin was left dry or it would freeze up and one time after I pulled the trigger during a winter caribou hunt I watched the firing pin slowly move forward due to the oil being gummed up. It went so slow it didn't even go click.

I prefer to wipe my guns down and bring them inside. But, I doubt a few nights out side would do much damage to my Mod. 70 "Stainless Classic".

We used to keep the guns hanging out side the cabin.... But one night a bear came and tore up the meat pole, and the rifles where outside on the porch with the bear! We now bring them inside every night, let them warm up dry them with a towel and rub them with barricade.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Seems like a logical excuse to tell the wife we always need at least 2 rifles - one for inside use and one for outside!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

I did.... A 375 Ruger Alaskan was adopted from the local shelter topped with a leupold vr 2-7 and fed a diet of 270 gr TSXs.... It is thriving as my back-up cabin gun.... Haven't had a bear problem since....
    But hunting in SE Alaska in the fall my guns get soaked from the rain more then condensation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD