Thread: Hunting the Ivishak river

Default Hunting the Ivishak river

I plan on hunting the Ivishak river past the 5 mile mark on aug 5. There will be 3 of us. We plan on using 2 canoes with motors. Can we make it
    up the Sag and the Ivishak past the 5 mile mark? Any info would be helpful. thank you Dean

yes i think you could........but with prop motors you will be walking ( dragging)the canoes alot. might be able to walk one thru then with long rope tow the second one thru lots of spots. have a gps and set a number of wp along road near where pipe line goes underground north of pump station 2. actually from that spot south to ps 2.
    I have have heard the 5 mile mark is 12 miles from the mile 50 launch, but not 100% sure........also might be better to drag canoes across tundra about where pipeline goes underground to the river an other option would be to launch just south of ps 2 (road is right next to ps. and float down to Ivashak. then take vehicle to mile 50 launch and leave it there for when you float out. pm me with a phone number if you want to chat about this.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Default yes

Four of us went up last fall in a 20 foot flat bottom w/jet outboard last year and had no problem getting up to the (five mile in) mark. As you remember we had quite a bit of water last year so it was easy going. I went up two years ago and it was a lil dry and we still made it fine but differant boat and we did hit a couple of sand bars but with a lil dragging and hip boots we made it fine. The main thing I would suggest is mark the road going up on a gps so you can ensure you are far enough in. They (Troopers) were flying and floating the river and busted a number of hunters close but not far enough in due to the fact that you need to go up around 9 miles to get 5 miles from the nearest point of the road. Also the ivy can be easy to miss on dry years but the water is clear and if you just keep sticking to the left you should not have any problem. Hope this helps

Default Ivishak GPS

Did you plot the Ivishak on your GPS? If so can you post the Lat/Lon and or the 5 mile point on the river.
    Thks

i don't have the lat/ long but you could probably plot it on google earth
    i would personally not trust other peoples coordinates (**** see note below) and put my own wp along road and and figure where the five mile is. as far as finding ivashak i found it early on by default, easly just seems natural way to travel then you realize you are already in the ivashak. nice size clear water coming in at near 90 degress from road, right there , upstream , sag looks like big area of quiet water.....then in braided ripples cuts off to right heading towars PS2 which is very visable. but if you are watching to left after getting south of where pipeline goes underground it is pretty easy.look at the lay of the land and you can make out the start of the ivashak valley, such as it is. all that said if foggy you will probably be hosed way before thati know the river pretty well and when it is foggy or getting dark it is alot tougher to figure where you should be going. it's coming out that i have missed my turns i wanted the most.
    if running the canoes from the mile 50 launch the first mile of so until you are in main channel of sag will be the worst area until you would get way up the ivashak by bluffs ????12+ miles from road.

**** i know of a party. they took others directions... i did not verify with their own GPS, ended up shooting 2 'bou at mile 2.7+/- .5mile with rifles ........ show aired on ODC appearently my call to fur and feathers did not work in getting them busted.

big thing that can be a problem is coming out and missing the small cut that leads to boat launch, usually there is someone nice enough to flag it so if you put in at 50 mile launch i would flag it to make it easier to get out. there are two tributaries that lead you out first is bigger to start but has been dry in recent years. second one is tucked away and very easy to miss. but keeps you in main channel alot longer. basically after coming out of ivashak and pass my frequently mention landmark, pipeline going underground, skip first branch to left ?????couple miles from mouth of ivashak and take next one about mile later. it is preceeded with couple hundred yards of shallow water fairly wide ,slow moving water ,foot deep or so- few inches in places, then narrows to 15 feet, tiny clump or brush ( small island) to right and ripple and 90 degree turn toward road. from there maybe a mile to launch and you can take the wrong channel but they all lead to where you want to go, just some you will end up dragging boat thru.

if you miss it all is not lost........stay to the left. there is a pull out @ mile 45.5 and couple spots before that you could drag stuff 100-200 yards to vehicle also.( man made, big high gravel pile, pipeline spill response river access road is probably fairly good option)

good luck
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Default coming out

can be a ***** if the water is low. Under normal water levels just stay left, every chance you have go left. If there is no water you cant do that. That happened to us a couple years ago, we missed the take out and ended up float 10 miles past it, that was a *****