Thread: Standing Together

Default Standing Together

Earlier I commented on an existing thread regarding the pot reduction and after reading a number of others opinions; decided the topic needed it's own space.

A lot of us are saying the same things! All of us agree management is important but the stickler seems to be "what's the best answer".

Reducing rec guys 20% on their pot count is plausible so how about reducing the commies 20% as well? Or how about going back to a time where the resource was healthy, after the resource recovered from a previous crash brought on from over fishing and before the resource was allowed to be commercial fished this go around.

See any correlation?

Many of us (one at a time) have made comments to fish and game about our observations on the shrimp ground and most of us probably feel like those comments fell on deaf ears!
    It might be time to mount our own offensive and make a little noise.

The commercial guys are doing this right now. Think about it, this closure is based on an emergency order a couple weeks before the season. Now, did fish and game do an actual survey or were they listening to some commercial interest? Im curious.

Think about this. The main spokesperson in the ADN article is the same guy who pours a lot of effort into providing gear for the sport guys then defends the commercial guys when someone brings up the condition of the fishery. You've all seen it.

Not picking on anyone in particular here, I'd just like to see some consistency. Sell me gear then blame me for the condition of the fishery? If you look at the stats they'd like you to believe there's thousands of rec pots in the water at the same time. Motoring around the sound I have to question this logic. I can count.

Moving on, is a recreational consortium of sorts feasible? Fish and game might appreciate our group being proactive, proving that we can be part of the solution.

It's a great fishery and it wrankles me to no end to watch it going down from year to year.
    Share your thoughts.

Mike

The commercial fishery was not reduced on the number of pots because their Total Allowable Harvest was reduced, as it was in the Rec fishery. The difference being that the commercial guys have to keep logbooks and report inseason. Once their quota is reached, the fishery is closed. Not so with the rec fishery - they have to wait until everyone fills out their survey and returns it. There is really no way to keep the rec fishery from exceeding their TAH, and since they have averaged around 90K# the last three years, and the TAH this year is only 70K#, the pot reduction is hoped to keep the rec harvest under the TAH.

I believe that ADFG only recently released the numbers from last year's rec harvest, and the commercial guys did not even know if they were going to have a season until recently because last year's Rec harvest is factored into the abundance/TAH for this year.

Make no mistake - the commercial guys will be harvesting less shrimp this year.

I support the reduction and hope it is enough. I'd hate to see this fishery go the way of the K-bay crab fishery.

Here is a idea I have been thinking about, there is alot of sport rec guys on this forum and not sure how much this will help but worth a shot. For us sport rec guys lets all get together and some might already do this but lets all release the females that have eggs. One other idea is not to leave your gear out while your not on the water which I never do anyways but some may? Maybe even talk with fish and game and make this a rule that gear cannot be left in the water while the permit holder is not out. I know this would be tough to control but us as a sport rec group and honest people come together and do everything we can to help the shrimp population. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Tyin 1 On View Post
    Here is a idea I have been thinking about, there is alot of sport rec guys on this forum and not sure how much this will help but worth a shot. For us sport rec guys lets all get together and some might already do this but lets all release the females that have eggs. One other idea is not to leave your gear out while your not on the water which I never do anyways but some may? Maybe even talk with fish and game and make this a rule that gear cannot be left in the water while the permit holder is not out. I know this would be tough to control but us as a sport rec group and honest people come together and do everything we can to help the shrimp population. Thoughts?
    If you leave it up to the public to do what's right, things will never get better. Let the managers manage, it's what they are there for. They try to reduce the catch by making a management decision and see what happens? The public cries about it, what about the other guy? Don't take from me, take from them. If you want to do your part, then do it, take only what you need.

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Quote Originally Posted by Tyin 1 On View Post
    Just a clarification. Spot Shrimp are hermaphrodites and all will produce eggs eventually. In essence, any spot you throw back is or will become female whether they are showing eggs or not.

Every shrimp I have tried to release looked like it was floating to its death. I just eat them now and if I catch females I move to a new spot.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Ya, Or we can just do nothing cause that works too. Its hard to say if they make it or not when released and yes they all do turn to females eventually. All we can do is try help and if your not willing to try then don't cry when its gone.

The commercial spot shrimp fishery in PWS only serves to deplete a resource benefiting a small few; jeopardizing a personal use fishery enjoyed by many.

Unlike the sport King Fishery on the Kenai, the personal use spot shrimp fishery is reasonable healthy, letís keep it that why.

I have personally witnessed productive shipping areas in theSound depleted by 50 pot carpet bombing, know one can stand there and tell me these areas where fished out by a few weekend sport guys. When you have the mean to prospect with 50 pots it allows you to target productive areas; enough said.

Seriously, I suggest we obtain enough voter signatures to put a referendum on the ballet banning commercial Spot Shrimp fishing in PWS. Not sure how to do this but thinking drastic consequences deserve drastic measures, or something like that.

I would be willing to stand outside the grocery store and get signatures.

The time to make a stand is now.

Let's keep this going, because if we don't the resource will slowly slip away.

Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Quote Originally Posted by breausaw View Post
    Seriously, I suggest we obtain enough voter signatures to put a referendum on the ballet banning commercial Spot Shrimp fishing in PWS. Not sure how to do this but thinking drastic consequences deserve drastic measures, or something like that.
    I would be willing to stand outside the grocery store and get signatures.
    The time to make a stand is now.
    Let's keep this going, because if we don't the resource will slowly slip away.
    Our ballot referendum process does not allow for allocative decisions to be made by vote of the people. You'll have to take a different approach to pass constitutional muster.

No need to stand out in the rain. If abundance/TAH declines much more, there won't be a commercial shrimp fishery next year. They are very near the threshold for there being a commercial season at all, per the management plan.

I was wondering if the thread was slipping away then Breausaw reigned us in, Thanks.

Maybe a full blown legislative initiative wouldn't work but I bet a big fat petition delivered to fish and game would have some sway.
    Especially if some constructive verbiage was included detailing a productive path forward!

If we were viewed as "organized" it would help also. Right now you can find hundreds of post on this forum where someone had something to say about the condition of the resource and many of these statement go back quite a few years. This shows me I'm not alone and that many others are noticing the same things.

When you read our old input it's mostly us whinning about them, we need to be forward looking as Breausaw suggested, enough poor us.

We've seen the effects organized sport fishing groups have had all around us, why wouldn't it work for a bunch of shrimpers?

mike

So is your goal to eliminate the commercial shrimp fishery harvest allocation in the name of conservation, or to see that allocation transferred to the sport fishery?

Someone mentioned the Kenai King fishery, and someone else mentioned the effects of organized sport fishing groups. We'll call those Exhibit A...

Organizing to protect the resource is different than organizing to protect allocation. The first does not need to be specific to any one user group. I'd bet if you reached out to the commercial guys you'd learn a lot. I did.

Anybody know the history on this fishery? How long has most of the TAH been harvested by the recreation group? Just since the tunnel opened?