Thread: White Mountains trails

Default White Mountains trails

I'd like to make a trip to Circle and pull my atvs up that way too. Any good trails to ride? I have a 6x6 sportsman & 6x6 Ranger. Looks like the Quartz Creek trail is closed to vehicles over 1500lbs, sxs, etc.. (Gotta love the feds.) Any other trails worth riding up there? Plan on riding the Chena Rec Area too.

Thanks,
    Tim

there are a lot of trails up by MP 101 through 115 on the steese that do not have weight restrictions. Lots of the trails branch off of Harrison creek rd. that would be a good place to start. Also south of Central at the end of Portage creek rd. lots of trails down there.
    Trying to play enough to make working for the money all worth it.

I think the weight restriction applies to trails in the Chena River Rec Area also. Maybe it would be a good idea to leave the wheeler at home and enjoy a nice walk.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Right now the trails are packed soft snow. People are skiing, dog mushing & on snowmachines. As warm as the afternoons are you would make a mess with your machines. You don't say when you are doing this, would recommend you not try it now.

The trails in the rec area are also closed to wheelers for about a month after break-up, best to check their website before you go. The general rule is this:

"From April 20th to the Thursday night prior to Memorial Day Weekend, the Stiles Creek, Compeau, and Upper Angel Creek Hillside Trails are closed. The closure allows the multiple-use trails to dry out and prevent damage to the trails."
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

Sorry. I was talking about last June/July time frame. Not now. I know to stay off soft trails. No since tearing them up.

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyD View Post
    I think the weight restriction applies to trails in the Chena River Rec Area also. Maybe it would be a good idea to leave the wheeler at home and enjoy a nice walk.
    I like to ride the trail out and walk/hike off the trail at some point. Might be right though. A mellow truck camper trip to both Circle & Chena hot springs would be nice & save time without wheelers. Good hiking trails in the Chena rec area for hiking too.

Circle & Circle Hot Springs Are two different places. Circle is the end of the Steese Highway and not good for hiking. Circle Hot Springs is a dilapidated old resort outside of Central (and closed). There are good 4wheeler/hiking trails around the Eagle Summit & Central areas. The bugs can be ferocious though in your time frame. Many folks will put a canoe in the Upper Birch Creek and get out on the trail abeam Circle Hot Springs. Unfortunately the old codger that bought the Hot Springs, let it fall into disrepair.