Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for 2016 Southeast King Salmon Non-res regs...

Default Looking for 2016 Southeast King Salmon Non-res regs...

I've done a fair bit of searching for this year's Non-Resident King Salmon Sportfishing regs and keep getting links to 2014 - 2015 regs; blanking for 2016. The AKF&G page says it's regulated by the Southeast King Salmon Management Plan vs State Regs.

So far this is as close as I've found.

"Nonresident
    The nonresident bag and possession limit is one king salmon 28 inches or greater in length, except during May and June the bag and possession limit is two king salmon 28 inches or greater in length; The nonresident annual limit is six king salmon 28 inches or greater in length."

Or this:

The Alaska Department of Fish and Game is revising king salmon sport fishing regulations in Southeast Alaska and Yakutat. The changes came into effect July 1 and will be effective through May 2, 2016.
    Now, for Alaskan residents, the bag and possession limit is two king salmon 28 inches or greater in length. From Oct. 1 through March 31, 2016, all sport anglers may use two rods when fishing for king salmon.
    For nonresidents, the bag and possession limit is one king salmon 28 inches or greater in length, and the annual limit is three king salmon of that size.

By my best interpretation....it could be the former OR the latter.

PS- this is including the up to date EO's

Any POW anglers' info would be appreciated.
    TIA - Steve

Never mind.....I just emailed the Lodge Owner and he said they haven't been released, yet, and will let me know.

Could be Minimum of 1, or a Maximum of 3 per day, last couple of seasons it opened in May and June to 2 per day.

Usually out in April for SE AK.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

Thanks, Abel, for the last 17 years, except for one trip to Icy Straits, I've always gone in mid to late Sept. for the fall Coho run on POW.

Now we had a late June trip fall into our laps due to a cancellation at the lodge and the timing is prime for Kings with Silvers showing up.

No brainer choice since the place we go to has been booked solid 3 years running and we have 5 hours left of the one day window to decide.

With the way the winter king fishing has been up here and the numbers of PNW fish we are seeing, it should be a great year for the outside waters once the fish start migrating south.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

Quote Originally Posted by carolinaboy View Post
    Never mind.....I just emailed the Lodge Owner and he said they haven't been released, yet, and will let me know.

Could be Minimum of 1, or a Maximum of 3 per day, last couple of seasons it opened in May and June to 2 per day.
    http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/sf/eonr/index.cfm

This is the link for emergency orders, which is where you'll find most - if not all - non-resident king salmon information as it's released.

April 1st is when we usually see the abundance index, which sets the sportfish limits. Should be a good/great year for kings. We might see a 2 king limit for non-res, but it's doubtful. We got grandfathered into it last year as they fought over the AI and we adopted the previous years limit. I've only see it be two kings a day twice in my 13 years of guiding, and it was the last 2 years. Some years we limit on coho.

What boat?

The limits in SE are unfairly biased towards the residents, lots of advantages to being a resident when it comes to the bag limits.
    Redleader standing by

Kings are tougher for non-res, no doubt. As a resident, I'm not sure sure I'd call them "unfair", but they certainly provide more opportunity for residents. If they weren't the way they were, there is no way the sport fleet could stay under it's allocation though given the sheer number of charters in SE AK. Lots of treaty issues there. The management system works very well, IMO and we have a great fishery in SE. I've never had clients complain about the amount of fish they bring home but I understand how it could be frustrating for people wanting to come up for a few weeks. I do wish they'd sell additional Kings to NR who wanted them to help fund ADFG. What would you think of a $100 stamp for each additional king, up to 5 extra kings? Cohos on the other hand, have no distinction between resident and non-resident and have a generous limit of 6 a person a day, with no annual limit.

We do have years though were the resident limit is 2 or 1 king per day. Makes it tough to burn a bunch of gas to put a few kings in the box!

Quote Originally Posted by redleader View Post
    The limits in SE are unfairly biased towards the residents, lots of advantages to being a resident when it comes to the bag limits.
    I certainly wouldn't go as far as saying that the bag limit for residents vs non-residents is "unfair". We live here and subsist off of these fish. Most locals who go out fishing aren't going out on a daily or even weekly basis and aren't keeping 3 kings per day. Even with the lower bag limit for locals; I'm sure charters and non-residents harvest more king salmon than locals sport fishing do. At one point years ago here out of sitka there were 300 charter boats operating in one year. Average 4 people per boat and thats 1200 people fishing each day. Lets say they have a 1 fish per person per day bag limit. Now take into consideration that the charter season is about 90 days long. And this is all out of a town with 9,000 residents. The limits are there for a reason and are hardly unfair.

I'd say on average, a family who likes king salmon will eat 3-5 kings a year, given they are not dinky kings. About 8 meals per king, maybe more depending on size of king. Factor in Halibut and other fish, and you are eating a lot of fish throughout the year.

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    What would you think of a $100 stamp for each additional king, up to 5 extra kings?
    Non residents already pay more for less.
    Redleader standing by

Well, I'm bummed out. Just got word back from the lodge. The party who cancelled called back and said they changed their minds.....grrr!

We had scrambled to get a group together to fill the opening and were on board for the trip when the call came back to us.

270ti - it was your boat - which helped me decide, plus the fact that it was prime King time - the last week of June.

After doing the math - 3 kings or 6 wasn't as much of a factor considering there would be a mixed bag of halibut, rockfish, a Lingcod and possible Coho to catch along with the Kings.

So it looks like a no go until the usual fall trip when the coho run peaks.

Quote Originally Posted by Anythingalaska View Post
    I certainly wouldn't go as far as saying that the bag limit for residents vs non-residents is "unfair". We live here and subsist off of these fish. Most locals who go out fishing aren't going out on a daily or even weekly basis and aren't keeping 3 kings per day. Even with the lower bag limit for locals; I'm sure charters and non-residents harvest more king salmon than locals sport fishing do. At one point years ago here out of sitka there were 300 charter boats operating in one year. Average 4 people per boat and thats 1200 people fishing each day. Lets say they have a 1 fish per person per day bag limit. Now take into consideration that the charter season is about 90 days long. And this is all out of a town with 9,000 residents. The limits are there for a reason and are hardly unfair.
    I understand why the limits are the way they are.
    SE alaska is the only area I know of anywhere that limits are so bias against non residents.

non res. can only keep 3 kings a year compared to no annual limit
    non resi. can keep fewer Rock fish and Lings along with special size restrictions
    Non res. can only keep 3 crab a day compared to 20 dungy's or 30 Tanners
    Non res. can only keep 3 pds of shrimp compared to no limit.

If you are a part timer that owns property and spends the fishing season in SE Ak unless you cheat and claim residency, you are much more limited while paying more for less.
    Redleader standing by

If non res fishermen feel that they are being unfairly targeted, then do what non res commercial fishermen did a few years back sue the state! The state of Alaska had to pay back a ton of money. I would love to see the rec fishermen go after the feds too for the limit being placed on people using charters for halibut. Time for non res and res anglers that use charters to take action!!

As a non-res visitor of 17 years and 18 trips to SE AK I donít feel any bias towards me regarding the amount of fish I am allowed to legally retain.

In one week of fishing I bring home between 100 and 150 pounds of salmon, rockfish and halibut.

That is a pile of fish for a family of 5 to consume and we do eat it often. It is enough to share now and then with nieghbors or other family members who visit, enough to can in Mason jars - 24 pints, run several batches through my little smoker and not ever feel like the regs/limits are against me.

I fish hard the whole week Iím there and when I have my salmon limits and thereís daylight left, Iím still fishing. Jigging off the lodge dock or shore for Pacific Cod in huge numbers, rockfish, sole, and way too many Great Sculpins till my arms are tired. And that is mostly C & R.

Now on the other side of the coin. Being a SE AK resident you do get the more liberal bag limits to fill the freezer and plenty of Sitka Blacktail to eat. But you also get last yearís gas price of $4.59 a gallon, $7.00 small box of cereal and 12 feet of rain compared to my $2 gas, $4 cereal and 300 sunny days.

When I land in Ketchikan and on Prince of Wales it feels like home..when I get back to Salt Lake City and see 10,000 cars going 80 mph bumper to bumper on I-15 between the airport and my house, I have my wife drive because Iím in shock.

So itís a tradeoff and the resident vs non resident bag limits help sustain the fisheries into the future regardless of the math, IMO.

If only visiting for a week or less and as you noted you normally fish for Silvers in lieu of Kings it most likely doesn't affect you.
    On the other hand if you decided to retire and spend half or more of the year there, Shrimp, Crab fish for Kings and shoot a few Deer it would be much more of an impact.
    Redleader standing by

I don't think its unreasonable for people who live here all year to have greater access to limited resources. Nobody is stopping anyone from moving north full time. I've never heard heard of a state that doesn't limit harvest opportunities for non-residents. Colorado for instance charges $626 for a nonresident elk tag and $46 for a resident. When I went to college in Montana a resident elk tag cost $20 and a nonresident one cost hundreds of dollars. In addition, non-resident draw permits were limited to only 10%. Sure it was frustrating for an avid hunter like myself. I really wanted to go chase some elk, but there is not an unlimited supply of elk and its only fair that people who live in Montana get first dibs on them.

Well, a serendipitous turn of events occurred yesterday.

The group who cancelled and changed their minds is still on for that slot.

However the lodge owners called and said they now have an opening mid - June for a party of 3 .

WE"LL TAKE IT!!!

Only a few details thus far, but we're booked and getting our flights together.

So now it's fingers crossed to hear good news about the 2016 King Salmon Regs in a few weeks.

Good for you folks. Have a great time. It's easy to get crazy about bringing fish home. I've been there myself. To me now it's more about being there and taking it all in. I still fish nonstop, but there is so much to experience. Safe travels...D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast