Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AK Hunters screwed by Professional Hunter Aswsociation

Default AK Hunters screwed by Professional Hunter Aswsociation

This proposal was just past by The Board of Game this week:

PROPOSAL 51 - 5 AAC 92.010. Harvest tickets, and reports; and 92.130. Restrictions to bag limit. Modify bag limits for nonresidents accompanied by a resident relative as follows:
    5 AAC 92.130 (new subsection):

A guide required species under AS 16.05.407(a) taken by a nonresident personally accompanied by a resident relative under AS 16.05.407(a)(2) will count as the bag limit of both the nonresident and the resident relative who accompanies the nonresident.
    5 AAC 92.010(a)(new subsection):

A nonresident may take guide required species under AS 16.05.407(a) on behalf of a resident relative permit holder who personally accompanies the non-resident under AS 16.05.407(a)(2).

What is the issue you would like the board to address and why? We would like to address second degree of kindred provisions with a regulation that is modeled off of the current "youth hunt" bag limits and harvest requirements.

PROPOSED BY: Alaska Professional Hunters Association (EG-C15-108)

Lol I dropped my membership years back...right when they told me I had to pay them 150 dollars per client for their non resident hunter preservation fund. I'm all for non res hunters, but don't agree with how they go about it sometimes.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Well, the part about a non resident hunting a residents permit was amended, and not included in the final passage of the proposal.

Default Final Result

So if it was amended how does it read? Once again more BS from the APHA.

Recently I posted about a new draw for next of kin brown bear hunting in SE. No one responded, didn't seem to matter to anyone. Folks better pay attention these fellas would rather have no one hunting besides them. Right now it's non resident next of kin, you're next. Mark my words.
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

325short

How does this "screw" AK hunters? By "AK Hunters" do you mean resident or non-resident? Unless I'm missing something, I don't see how this screws AK Resident Hunters. Something about the youth hunt??
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Snyd, it screws the resident hunter that takes their non resident father out for sheep, bear, goat, etc, since their bag limit is filled.

How will this affect the 1-4 species? Resident can go the next year, or has to sit out the 4 years before they can go?

Quote Originally Posted by akshootnscoot View Post
    Snyd, it screws the resident hunter that takes their non resident father out for sheep, bear, goat, etc, since their bag limit is filled.

How will this affect the 1-4 species? Resident can go the next year, or has to sit out the 4 years before they can go?

meh... The resident makes a choice to take his relative hunting. Nothing changes for the resident sheep hunter that wants to go sheep hunting unless he chooses to offer up his sheep to his relative. Which I would say most resident sheep hunters would have no problem with.

This might piss off the Military guy that wants to bering his brother up so both of them can kill a ram. I can see that.

1:4 has nothing to do with resident hunter. NR's only.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    meh... The resident makes a choice to take his relative hunting. Nothing changes for the resident sheep hunter that wants to go sheep hunting unless he chooses to offer up his sheep to his relative. Which I would say most resident sheep hunters would have no problem with.

This might piss off the Military guy that wants to bering his brother up so both of them can kill a ram. I can see that.

1:4 has nothing to do with resident hunter. NR's only.
    Yep, I agree with ya Snyd. What really gets me, are the military guys that use the, "I got transferred out of state, but intend to retire to Alaska" that keep their residency in Alaska, when they really have no intention of doing so. Then, on top of that, they bring their brother up every year to kill a ram. It's ridiculous, and it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by J in AK View Post
    Yep, I agree with ya Snyd. What really gets me, are the military guys that use the, "I got transferred out of state, but intend to retire to Alaska" that keep their residency in Alaska, when they really have no intention of doing so. Then, on top of that, they bring their brother up every year to kill a ram. It's ridiculous, and it happens.
    Yup. There's an undeveloped lot just North of Ft. Wainwright which has popularly been used by a long list of GI's as a shill residency address. Countless examples of same to be found out there, no doubt.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Personally I don't have a problem with a Military guy and his bro hunting sheep and both guys allowed to kill one. Alaska Law allowed it until now. This will probably affect these guys the most negatively, not the average AK Resident Sheep hunter.

I know that if my NR son, or father, etc. wanted me to take him sheep hunting and we could only get the one ram, I'd have no problem with it.

As far as people "working the system" like some here have mentioned. Well, that's a different story....

I'd be a lot happier if they adopted this rule and expanded second degree of kindred to include all nonresidents. Keep the "guide" requirement and make NR hunt with either a guide or a resident, but make the animal count against the resident's bag. Raise the tag fees by about 5x and cut out the middle man.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyD View Post
    I'd be a lot happier if they adopted this rule and expanded second degree of kindred to include all nonresidents. Keep the "guide" requirement and make NR hunt with either a guide or a resident, but make the animal count against the resident's bag. Raise the tag fees by about 5x and cut out the middle man.
    So if my brother comes to Alaska to hunt it counts against my bag
    limit for him to hunt.....So when a guide takes a NR to hunt does it count against his bag limit for that year? If not then why the difference. My brother can get his own NR tags if he wants to hunt Alaska. Just because he goes with me should not make it count against me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dupont Spinner View Post
    limit for him to hunt.....So when a guide takes a NR to hunt does it count against his bag limit for that year? If not then why the difference. My brother can get his own NR tags if he wants to hunt Alaska. Just because he goes with me should not make it count against me.
    This new rule is in effect when the non resident is hunting sheep, goats, or bears with a resident (guide required species), but not for moose, caribou, deer, etc.....

Quote Originally Posted by Dupont Spinner View Post
    I was talking about guide-requiring species. Brother bear doesn't need you for legality with regard to the other species.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Great, now when my brother finally makes up here to hunt sheep with me, we can only take one ram on a once in a lifetime hunt for him and I. Bogus.

I guess the bright side is at least there's still a chance for him to hunt. Pretty soon non res will be a lot more limited. Gotta plan dual specie hunts now, one with the grizz tag and one with the sheep tag. Take turns. But at least you guys can still hunt together, those days are dwindling.....
    Master guide 212

Once again the BOG showing alignment with the guiding industry. The APHA hates next of kin, they only see it as a loss of a $20,000 opportunity. I wish Alaska would just get rid of the guide requirements for the 3 species, make all nonresidents a draw and leave it up to them if they want a guide; we all know its not for safety. I know next state wide BOG meeting I will be submitting a proposal that all guides and assistant guides that successfully take one of the 3 required guided species will not be able to hunt those species that year.

At least this pushed me over the edge to pony up the 1k for RHAK.

"proposal that all guides and assistant guides that successfully take one of the 3 required guided species will not be able to hunt those species that year."

What? I'm totally not understanding this one?
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    "proposal that all guides and assistant guides that successfully take one of the 3 required guided species will not be able to hunt (for themselves) those species that year."

What? I'm totally not understanding this one?
    Sorry, my proposal will be clearer, if a guide/assistant guide's hunter takes a sheep, goat, or brown bear they will also have to punch their tag for the year. Same as the new NOK rule...

I got it. So a guide could only guide for one sheep, one moose, two grizzly in some areas. Basicly limit a guide to about seven hunts a year?
    Master guide 212

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast