Thread: Marlin 1895M Problems

Default Marlin 1895M Problems

I am having a feeding problem with my guide gun. The lever is stuck open when I cycle to load a round. I have removed the lever, removed the cartridge 3/4 of the way in the magazine tube, and put the rifle back together. The rifle cycles fine when no rounds are in the magazine. When I attempt to load a round, the lever is stuck open again. I thought this original might have been the ejector, so I replaced it with the WWG bear proof ejector. Now I am thinking this may be a problem with the carrier assembly, loading spring, or magazine tube. Any ideas out there, previous experiences?

This sounds like an OAL problem. When the lever is full forward, the follower allows the cartridge to slip out of the magazine. If it is too long to allow the tip to clear the magazine tube, then the follower cannot go up to make a chambering ramp for the cartridge and the lever cannot be pulled back and closed. The follower may be at fault here, it's hard to say without examining the rifle.

I need more info. Has it ever fed these rounds before? Did it ever feed any round before? What is this ammo? Are you saying the cartridge only gets 3/4 of the way out of the tube?
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Sounds like you need WWG fool proof lifter also.

In most cases, the round is 3/4 of the way still in the magazine tube. The base of the round is just past the opening in the loading spring.
    I am using the hornady lever evolution ammo. When this happened on the range, I had fired 3 rounds before the fourth round locked up the lever. The last time this happened, it was also using hornady ammo, not the lever evolution, but the 325gr fp.
    I am beginning to think it may be it is catching on the carrier?

Quote Originally Posted by adfraiser View Post
    In most cases, the round is 3/4 of the way still in the magazine tube. The base of the round is just past the opening in the loading spring.
    I am using the hornady lever evolution ammo. When this happened on the range, I had fired 3 rounds before the fourth round locked up the lever. The last time this happened, it was also using hornady ammo, not the lever evolution, but the 325gr fp.
    I am beginning to think it may be it is catching on the carrier?
    As posted earlier, go with the parts that WWG has already worked out for this action.

I don't understand.

Was the gun all original when you had the problem?

Or did you replace some part(s) then the problem started?

BigAl, I was not aware wwg had more than the trigger and bear proof ejector, and lever, for the action. Do they make a carrier assembly? Is anyone familiar with it? I know they perform action job, but I would prefer to find out the problem before I decide to have an action job done. I do not think the rigger is the problem, and I do not like the loop lever.

bustedknee-The only modification to the action has been the ejector thus far, installed after the first feeding dysfunction.

It is best to take the rifle into WWG. They are the Marlin guys, above all others. I would at least call them and talk about your problem with them. Tell them you don't care to have the "Fanner 50" looking lever, on your Rifle. I think they probably do that for people that wear gloves?

I think I would put the rifle back into its original factory configuration then send it to Marlin.

If I wanted after-market modifications, they would happen after the factory makes it work the way it was designed to work.

Read the first post, you send a modified rifle back to the manufacturer and your going to eat it.