Thread: New archery regulations

Default New archery regulations

NEW BOW HUNTING REGULATIONS
    Proposal 15-Passed
    This proposal will require all big game hunters in Alaska using crossbows to complete a crossbow education course. It will go into effect July 1, 2018

Proposal 17-Passed...
    The regulation that would have required all bowhunters to have bowhunter education starting July 1, 2016 has been changed. Proposal 17 provides an exemption for bowhunter education requirements as follows:
    Beginning July 1, 2016, a person born after January 1, 1986 using a longbow, recurve bow, or compound bow to hunt big game must have successfully completed a department-approved bowhunter education course.
    A hunter using a longbow, recurve bow, or compound bow for any restricted weapons hunt that authorizes taking big game by bow and arrow, must have successfully completed a department-approved bowhunter education course (this current law is still in effect).

Proposal 8-Passed

This proposal will allow the use of battery-powered lights on a bow sight in archery-only restricted weapons hunts, as long as it doesnít project a light or beam.
    Proposal 9-Passed
    This proposal modified the definition of barbed arrows to read:
    "barbed" means, in the case of an arrowhead, having any fixed portion of the rear edge of the arrowhead forming an angle less than 90 degrees with the shaft when measured from the nock end of the arrow; a notch or space of no more than two millimeters between the base of the blade and the shaft shall not be considered a barb.

Proposal 12-Passed

This proposal modified the definition of a legal crossbow as follows:
    (15) with a crossbow, unless
    (A) the bow peak draw weight is 100 pounds or more;
    (B) repealed (there is no longer a minimum draw length as technology has evolved to make smaller, powerful crossbows)
    (C) the bolt is tipped with a broadhead and is a minimum of 16 inches in overall length and weighs at least 300 grains; and
    (D) the crossbow has no attached electronic devices, except for a scope or electronic sight that does not project light externally;
    (E) it is a shoulder-mounted crossbow; (this addition will prohibit smaller models that are held like a pistol and donít have the inertia to successfully harvest big game)

Proposal 18-Passed

This proposal will prohibit the use of slingbows in the state of Alaska for the taking of all big game.
    Last edited by Daveinthebush; 03-25-2016 at 12:52.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Sponsor

Thanks for posting this Dave!

Where did you find this info?

I am an archery instructor for the state. So info has to be added into the classes.

Will the crossbow course be added to in additional course or will it a course in & of its self?

I was fortunate enough to take a few moose before the archery class was required. I might have been the first person to shoot an arrow at a bull during the first archery only season on the Kenai. I shot at, an missed a forked horn at the crack of dawn opening morning. Nailed him 2 days later.
    I have taken 16 with a bow now.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Quote Originally Posted by ASUS-DAG View Post
    Will the crossbow course be added to in additional course or will it a course in & of its self?
    Since it just passed, I am sure hunter education is on the problem. I have not heard anything yet. I think it could become a section of the Bow Hunter Education class.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    Since it just passed, I am sure hunter education is on the problem. I have not heard anything yet. I think it could become a section of the Bow Hunter Education class.
    do we know how many people use crossbows in the state? I know one guy who has uses one but he does it because he has a back injury and can't use a bow, he's complained about the lack of cross bow stuff in town so I figure there just aren't a lot of users.

Help an old an poorly read guy out. Does this mean if you were born prior to 1986 you do not need to take any bow or cross bow hunter ed classes?

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    Help an old an poorly read guy out. Does this mean if you were born prior to 1986 you do not need to take any bow or cross bow hunter ed classes?

For ALL hunters:
    If you plan to use archery equipment in a "archery only" hunt, (IE: restricted weapons only hunt), then yes, you'll need to be bowhunter certified. That's for archery only moose season, archery only draw tags for any species, etc... So nothings changed there.

BUT as of July 1, 2016 and born PRIOR to 1986:
    If you want to use archery equipment during the regular general big game seasons where all legal weapons apply, then I don't believe that a specific archery certification is necessary.. This applies only if born AFTER '86...

Just sign up for a BH cert course and go do it. It's not that difficult at all. Then you'll have your bases covered no matter what.
    Also, if sometime down the road you want to archery hunt in another state, you're new cert card is/should be accepted in that state as well...

Wondering what 1986 has got to do with being certified or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Nunya View Post
    Being over 21. They probably figure at that point your a fully legal adult and can be held more accountable I would imagine. Lots of drivers license stuff doesnt apply to you if you're over 16.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Quote Originally Posted by c6 batmobile View Post
    Being over 21. They probably figure at that point your a fully legal adult and can be held more accountable I would imagine. Lots of drivers license stuff doesnt apply to you if you're over 16.
    Then it would be 1995! If you were born in 1986, you will be 30 sometime this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Nunya View Post
    I wondered about the validity of that myself... Over 21, sure.. But over 30? Go figure...

Quote Originally Posted by swampdonkey View Post
    I wondered about the validity of that myself... Over 21, sure.. But over 30? Go figure...
    The date they used is the same as they have for the Basic Hunter Education.